Jump to content Jump to content
Message added by PJTierney,

Did you know that the long-time members of this thread have had a DiRTy Gossip Discord server for a while?

You do now¬†ūüėȬ†

tbtstt said:
gfRally said:
Nothing wrong with friendly competition, but don't copy marketing exactly.  Thats just lame.

https://twitter.com/wrcthegame/status/765166302638051328

Well that was thoroughly underwhelming. As said, at least feature a proper smash! 

I haven't been that disappointed since I played Sebastian loeb Rally
gfRally said:
If @justbiglee was still around, he'd be throwing some stuff.  I think he started this "Mondays be like.." Rally stuff, at least it sounds like hime
@ChristinaMc needs to start some Twitter beef with the WRC page. Tell them if they want to see a real car crash they should play something developed by Milestone. 
tbtstt said:
gfRally said:
If @justbiglee was still around, he'd be throwing some stuff.  I think he started this "Mondays be like.." Rally stuff, at least it sounds like hime
@ChristinaMc needs to start some Twitter beef with the WRC page. Tell them if they want to see a real car crash they should play something developed by Milestone. 
I can feel the burn from here!
gfRally said:
I am sure there are some areas that the artist doesn't want completely optional, I imagine it starts to take away from the intended look.
Well, post processing is something that should be completely optional, since it doesn't take away from the intended look. Thus the term "post processing" ;)

And... well @urgaffel you know how it is, when you mention a small improvement we have to jump with our own lists that are longer than toilet paper xD
gfRally said:
I am sure there are some areas that the artist doesn't want completely optional, I imagine it starts to take away from the intended look.
Well, post processing is something that should be completely optional, since it doesn't take away from the intended look. Thus the term "post processing" ;)
Clearly you've never done film of any kind.
tbtstt said:
gfRally said:
Brutal! If only I could get away with saying that. ;) I've had a little pop though - I didn't even notice it yesterday! It probably says a lot that when I 'monitor competitor activity', I only take a casual weeklyish glance at what they're doing... 
tbtstt said:
gfRally said:
Brutal! If only I could get away with saying that. ;) I've had a little pop though - I didn't even notice it yesterday! It probably says a lot that when I 'monitor competitor activity', I only take a casual weeklyish glance at what they're doing... 
Ha! Just saw your response, well played! 
tbtstt said:
tbtstt said:
gfRally said:
Ha! Just saw your response, well played! 
Edit: NVM. Looking for a proper GIF - BRB.

JZStudios said:
Clearly you've never done film of any kind.
Well, unless some form of post-processing changes the geometry, textures themselves, the very lighting of the scene (I don't mean add based on it, like god rays) then sure, it changes the intended look. But since afaik they don't, it doesn't. It only adds on top of the intended look making it better (or worse when badly implemented). Thus the name "post-processing". It happens after you've created the intended look aka all the 3D assets, textures etc.

Also last time I checked this discussion was about games, not films. Nowadays movies are made entirely from the post-processing part, I agree with that, but that's not the case with games. Unless DiRT Rally is actually a green screen simulator, in which case good job Codies at fooling us for such a long time :D

There's quite a lot of the final look of the image that happens in post processing. Naughty Dog did a presentation on Uncharted 4 and it has a couple of bits about post processing in it and it's well worth a read if you're at all interested:

http://advances.realtimerendering.com/other/2016/naughty_dog/

urgaffel said:

There's quite a lot of the final look of the image that happens in post processing. Naughty Dog did a presentation on Uncharted 4 and it has a couple of bits about post processing in it and it's well worth a read if you're at all interested:

How do i like, agree *and* lol a post? :)
urgaffel said:

Become a multidimensional being and name yourself Keith.
urgaffel said:

Become a multidimensional being and name yourself Keith.
No, the name doesn't matter... it's.... Slartibartfast.... I said it wasn't important.

I'll definitely check out that article @urgaffel, I always love seeing the behind the scenes on art direction for anything I enjoy.
Edit* Just read the article, good read, but pretty sure I missed a lot of videos and don't have PowerPoint to see if there's a difference to the .pdf. Bummer. In any case, I just made a PBR uber shader yesterday, and I hope you guys are doing the same, it really dramatically cuts down the time spent fiddling while giving better results.
urgaffel said:
There's quite a lot of the final look of the image that happens in post processing. 
Oh, I agree completely there. But as you pointed out, it's final look, not "intended" ;) This might be the same for a console game, but on a PC game... well, given that we have graphical options, the two have to be separated.

Naughty Dog sure can put out some awesome stuff out there. I'm still amazed they managed to make a game look that good and still run smooth on the PS4 :D That article also shows how good the "base" they made is, without applying all the post-processing tricks.
urgaffel said:
There's quite a lot of the final look of the image that happens in post processing. 
Oh, I agree completely there. But as you pointed out, it's final look, not "intended" ;) This might be the same for a console game, but on a PC game... well, given that we have graphical options, the two have to be separated.

Naughty Dog sure can put out some awesome stuff out there. I'm still amazed they managed to make a game look that good and still run smooth on the PS4 :D That article also shows how good the "base" they made is, without applying all the post-processing tricks.
Sit back, game developers, I read most of an issue of Edge once, and now I'm going to school you on your jobs!

Once we get this post-processing thing sorted, we'll put multiplayer in No Man's Sky, one week, tops.