Jump to content Jump to content
Message added by PJTierney,

Did you know that the long-time members of this thread have had a DiRTy Gossip Discord server for a while?

You do now¬†ūüėȬ†

I like the hatch, too. The sedan version of that generation was pretty nasty looking though, the car was clearly designed to be a hatch/wagon, and the lines they added to make it a sedan just did not match.

I agree that the GCs are prettiest though, and of course the 22B as well.
The hatch grew on me (seeing it rallying certainly helped) and I now prefer it to the sedan of that generation. The newest shape is really growing on me as well. I have seen a few in the metal and I don't think photos do them justice.

Best looking (in my opinion) would be the two door classics, especially the 22B. The widetrack blob STi isn't far behind that though, hence why I've got one! :smile: In terms of performance, the latter generation of cars are less harsh to drive. The best production Impreza Subaru have ever produced still has to be the Spec C RA-R.
I think most don't consider the crumple zone on car & how the car safety cage rigidity really change between a hatch & a sedan.

The car safety cage act the same as a bridge structure & have to withstand impact. Car structure & design aren't modeled randomly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhdx2HTH7to

The problem with a hatch is the rigidity. Sure on a rally car you can remove the chair & put a large sway bar, cage whatever... But on a road car you can't really do it well, but still... Have to be modded...

MrDeap said:
I think most don't consider the crumple zone on car & how the car safety cage rigidity really change between a hatch & a sedan.

The car safety cage act the same as a bridge structure & have to withstand impact. Car structure & design aren't modeled randomly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhdx2HTH7to

The problem with a hatch is the rigidity. Sure on a rally car you can remove the chair & put a large sway bar, cage whatever... But on a road car you can't really do it well, but still... Have to be modded...

I don't typically street race my road car (is a NA 2.5) its just fun to drive, but as my daily, I like the convenience of a hatch.  Camping is easy to pack for, I can occasionally grab some lumber, etc.  I went from a large SUV to this for gas mileage (10mpg :neutral:  to 23mpg) so the hatch made the transition a little easier.

Asked the question to @KickUp if there was more money in the budget for DR would there have more cars/manufactures that didn't say no in rally.

Response was, "sure."

My point is, if money wasnt tight we could have seen more, but i think being frugal money was spent obviously on the 'best bang for the buck'.

So... to do the opposite of a wish list, who would NOT have wanted thier cars in DR?  Who would be a difficult manufacture? 
tbtstt said:
bogani said:
tbtstt said:
bogani said:
tbtstt said:
bogani said:
tbtstt said:
Dytut said:
I quickly found that one on blocket @bogani. Looks nice, just go for it! :-D
Don't be shy, share the link! :smile:
https://www.blocket.se/kalmar/Fin_Bes_Subaru_impreza_gt_ev_byte_68508453.htm?ca=18&w=3

;)
16,000 miles? Blimey, that's low mileage for the year! Exhaust doesn't look OEM (unless the Euro spec cars got a different backbox) and it's obviously sitting lower on the coilovers, but looks pretty standard otherwise. Would like to see under the bonnet! 

EDIT: Just looked at the interior shot. The pillar mounted boost gauge isn't standard either. 
Yup, the only custom seems to be exhaust and coilovers. I would throw away the gauge in an instant. And to be honest, nothing is certain when it comes to cars for sale. Would have to look at it to make a judgement.

I find it rather surprising the back arches are free of rust. Kinda unique for a GT!
Absolutely, pictures can hide many sins! Yeah, rear arches are always the first place rust seems to strike on the GC Impreza. That looks good in the picture, though it's worth having a good nose underneath. 

Check if it's a cat back exhaust or a straight through system: if it's straight through then the car should have been remapped. 
Ok. I actually went straight from work to have a look at it. The condition is at first glance very very good. The back arches looked flawless.

It was a 3" system straight through. The owner didn't know if it had been remapped or not. He took the car as a trade for another car not long ago. There was also an open dump valve, which I'm not that fond of as I would want the car as original as possible.
Yeah, back to the standard re-circ would be my first move as well! If it's running a 3" straight through system it definitely should have been remapped, so I'd get that checked as a first priority. 

You need to remove the arch liners and boot trim for a really good look around, but clear rear arches sound promising. 

I'm biased, but I'd say buy it! I'm sure decent GC Impreza's are going to be future classics. 
Update on this story.

I really wasn't going to buy this car. However, I said thanks but no thanks. It's out of budget at this time. He asked what my budget was and I said 4500EUR, but I"m not gonna offer that because it really is too low of an offer. After that. there was an hour of silence and then a text." Ok, I can sell you the car for 4500 just because I know you appreciate it and I need money for my Supra".

Shit. I really didn't expect that and really had no plans for a new car :open_mouth:

gfRally said:
Asked the question to @KickUp if there was more money in the budget for DR would there have more cars/manufactures that didn't say no in rally.

Response was, "sure."

My point is, if money wasnt tight we could have seen more, but i think being frugal money was spent obviously on the 'best bang for the buck'.

So... to do the opposite of a wish list, who would NOT have wanted thier cars in DR?  Who would be a difficult manufacture? 
Wasn't Toyota really difficult?
bogani said:
tbtstt said:
bogani said:
tbtstt said:
bogani said:
tbtstt said:
bogani said:
tbtstt said:
Dytut said:
https://www.blocket.se/kalmar/Fin_Bes_Subaru_impreza_gt_ev_byte_68508453.htm?ca=18&w=3

;)
16,000 miles? Blimey, that's low mileage for the year! Exhaust doesn't look OEM (unless the Euro spec cars got a different backbox) and it's obviously sitting lower on the coilovers, but looks pretty standard otherwise. Would like to see under the bonnet! 

EDIT: Just looked at the interior shot. The pillar mounted boost gauge isn't standard either. 
Yup, the only custom seems to be exhaust and coilovers. I would throw away the gauge in an instant. And to be honest, nothing is certain when it comes to cars for sale. Would have to look at it to make a judgement.

I find it rather surprising the back arches are free of rust. Kinda unique for a GT!
Absolutely, pictures can hide many sins! Yeah, rear arches are always the first place rust seems to strike on the GC Impreza. That looks good in the picture, though it's worth having a good nose underneath. 

Check if it's a cat back exhaust or a straight through system: if it's straight through then the car should have been remapped. 
Ok. I actually went straight from work to have a look at it. The condition is at first glance very very good. The back arches looked flawless.

It was a 3" system straight through. The owner didn't know if it had been remapped or not. He took the car as a trade for another car not long ago. There was also an open dump valve, which I'm not that fond of as I would want the car as original as possible.
Yeah, back to the standard re-circ would be my first move as well! If it's running a 3" straight through system it definitely should have been remapped, so I'd get that checked as a first priority. 

You need to remove the arch liners and boot trim for a really good look around, but clear rear arches sound promising. 

I'm biased, but I'd say buy it! I'm sure decent GC Impreza's are going to be future classics. 
Update on this story.

I really wasn't going to buy this car. However, I said thanks but no thanks. It's out of budget at this time. He asked what my budget was and I said 4500EUR, but I"m not gonna offer that because it really is too low of an offer. After that. there was an hour of silence and then a text." Ok, I can sell you the car for 4500 just because I know you appreciate it and I need money for my Supra".

****. I really didn't expect that and really had no plans for a new car :open_mouth:

It was meant to be! :-D
bogani said:
Update on this story.

****. I really didn't expect that and really had no plans for a new car :open_mouth:

Aw, you've gotta help the poor guy out, he needs money for his Supra!

Really though, I don't think he's too concerned about money, seems like he just wants it to go to a good home. You know what everyone on this forum is going to say. Buy it!  ;) 
bogani said:
tbtstt said:
bogani said:
tbtstt said:
bogani said:
tbtstt said:
bogani said:
tbtstt said:
Dytut said:

;)

Update on this story.

Owned both the Impreza wrx gc sedan and wagon at the same time, both jap imports. Both were great fun to drive and easily the best two cars I've ever owned from a pure driving point of view (the wagon was turned into my auto cross car eventually).

The wagon was probably more fun on a twisty road as the turbo would spool up quicker (smaller turbo than the sedan), giving less turbo lag, but the sedan was all power :)

Used to use the sedan to tow the trailer with the wagon on it to auto cross events :D that got some strange looks!

BadD0g said:
bogani said:
Update on this story.

Aw, you've gotta help the poor guy out, he needs money for his Supra!

Really though, I don't think he's too concerned about money, seems like he just wants it to go to a good home. You know what everyone on this forum is going to say. Buy it!  ;) 
Or does he know something about the car I don't? You can never be sure :/
gfRally said:
Obviously Toyota and Porsche are the impossible ones, well maybe Porsche not so anymore. Skoda is the one that has strangely haven't been seen in any of the DiRT titles, although very successful at the S2000 level.

We know that Audi has some gripes with the RX S1 and it only allows their cars with a single livery (Sport Rallye doesn't even have the proper historical Audi team livery -_- ) along with incorrect naming of them, but other than that seems to be fine.

Citroen seems to be making a fuss about the license, maybe due to WRC license being in the obviously crappy hands at the moment, who knows.

Ford isn't particularly happy about the newest cars and Mitsubishi seems to put a bigger price tag on their cars than others.

Renault was posing some difficulties, since they were originally meant as part of Tarmac Terrors, not Winter Wonderland. Possibly $_$

We do know that Peugeot seems to be quite alright with giving out the licenses apart from that scene with 208. Same with Subaru and Opel. No one can beat Lancia though, which seems to give those licenses for free xD

Mini is owned by BMW and for some reason only the concept was obtainable, along with the original one naturally. Since BMW aside from the M3 wasn't much in the world rally scene, it's hard to tell the licensing situation there.

And there we have the single ones, like Hyundai, MG, Seat, VW and Fiat which give no indication as to how difficult those were to negotiate.

That's basically a general sum of the main manufacturers that had something to do with rally. Given that I'm not that well versed in the history of rally, I probably missed out on few, so yeah.
bogani said:
Update on this story.

4500 EUR??
https://youtu.be/rp8vmXrLf1U

Man... I would've totally bought Impreza GT 00 for this price.

GC's are fairly agricultural (talking as a mechanic) and can take a beating. Common faults are:

1. Leaking oil from the turbo side rocker cover gasket. (cheap fix and a ongoing problem)

2. Head gasket leaking (oil in radiator reservoir tank, white smoke from exhaust even once warmed up)

3. Noisy gearbox (jap spec gearboxes are utter crap) 

4. Worn Turbo seals (blue smoke from exhaust at idle)

5. Misfire (the GC's have individual coil packs on each spark plug, they are prone to failure and can be costly to replace with new units)

6. If the turbo boost has been increased at all (the stock GC8 can run 1.5 bar boost, with an upgraded fuel pump, without much issue) make sure the fuel pump has been upgraded with a Walbro upgraded fuel pump, or get ready for a melted No.4 piston.

7. Timing belt needs changing every 20,000 miles or 2 years (from memory) not a huge job, but being a boxer engine, not all garages are used to working on this type of engine and some over price due to lack of knowledge.