Jump to content Jump to content
Message added by PJTierney,

Did you know that the long-time members of this thread have had a DiRTy Gossip Discord server for a while?

You do now 😉 

bogani said:
BadD0g said:
bogani said:
Update on this story.

I really wasn't going to buy this car. However, I said thanks but no thanks. It's out of budget at this time. He asked what my budget was and I said 4500EUR, but I"m not gonna offer that because it really is too low of an offer. After that. there was an hour of silence and then a text." Ok, I can sell you the car for 4500 just because I know you appreciate it and I need money for my Supra".

****. I really didn't expect that and really had no plans for a new car :open_mouth:

Aw, you've gotta help the poor guy out, he needs money for his Supra!

Really though, I don't think he's too concerned about money, seems like he just wants it to go to a good home. You know what everyone on this forum is going to say. Buy it!  ;) 
Or does he know something about the car I don't? You can never be sure :/
Well in the pictures posted it kind of looked like there was a body hidden under a tarp in the back seat.
PaloSamo said:
Toyota was beyond difficult, we were told the reason when we visited, but unfortunately it's not our place to repeat why! But from what we gathered Toyota was 0% chance from day 1
Are they making a video game themselves? 
No i think there were committed to another video game.
Nope

so, I have now finished uni, and am currently in the process of saving up a lot of money for next year. Here's my problem though, I'm undecided what to spend it on:

Option 1- A two month trip from coast to coast in the USA, going pretty much everywhere, including an attempt on Seb Loeb's Pikes Peak world record in a hire car. Something I've wanted to do for a while

Option 2- A rally car and my first season in the BTRDA as a driver

decisions decisions.... 
PaloSamo said:
Toyota was beyond difficult, we were told the reason when we visited, but unfortunately it's not our place to repeat why! But from what we gathered Toyota was 0% chance from day 1
Nope

so, I have now finished uni, and am currently in the process of saving up a lot of money for next year. Here's my problem though, I'm undecided what to spend it on:

Option 1- A two month trip from coast to coast in the USA, going pretty much everywhere, including an attempt on Seb Loeb's Pikes Peak world record in a hire car. Something I've wanted to do for a while

decisions decisions.... 

Well, if its the US i can give you lots of info from my previous trips, including pikes peak.  I would be torn between the two options as well.  You could catch a dismal (compared to UK/EU) RallyAmerica event
PaloSamo said:
Nope

decisions decisions.... 
I'd say save up for two years. I have a friend who made it through college and saved just about every penny, almost 5 years later he's got almost everything 100% paid off, including his house, so pretty soon he'll have all his paycheck to spend on hobbies.
Evilsmurf said:
I'm 39. I've never made £25000 a year, I spent 4/5 years in college.
Should've done that extra year. It really helps. My friends still a bit lower paid, at about $95k a year, and I'm 21 and only working essentially minimum wage, he made my yearly salary in a bonus check of $14,000. Dumped all of it into his house or student loans. It kind of sucks, but you have to really force yourself to save up and buy what you need, pay it off as quickly as possible, then you can do whatever you want.
JZStudios said:

Nope

decisions decisions.... 
I'd say save up for two years. I have a friend who made it through college and saved just about every penny, almost 5 years later he's got almost everything 100% paid off, including his house, so pretty soon he'll have all his paycheck to spend on hobbies.
Ha, I take it you are in the US @JZStudios? I worked whilst in college and Uni so I didn't have to take any student loans out. I left uni with no debts so I could immediately start saving funds for a deposit on a house. I finally had enough to buy one last year: I'll be 58 when I finish paying for it. 
tbtstt said:
JZStudios said:

Nope

decisions decisions.... 
Ha, I take it you are in the US @JZStudios? I worked whilst in college and Uni so I didn't have to take any student loans out. I left uni with no debts so I could immediately start saving funds for a deposit on a house. I finally had enough to buy one last year: I'll be 58 when I finish paying for it. 
Yeah, we only pay for ourselves here. Don't know how old you are now, but if it takes that long whatever you went to college for seems.... well... My friends about 30 and will have everything paid off in about 5 years, and that's with buying other things, like house renovations and a studio. Expensive house renovations. Like, stupid expensive.
JZStudios said:
tbtstt said:
JZStudios said:

Nope

decisions decisions.... 
Yeah, we only pay for ourselves here. Don't know how old you are now, but if it takes that long whatever you went to college for seems.... well... My friends about 30 and will have everything paid off in about 5 years, and that's with buying other things, like house renovations and a studio. Expensive house renovations. Like, stupid expensive.
I'm 34 now, was 33 at purchase. From the little reading I've done, I think there is a considerable difference in property prices between the US and the UK. The house I bought is a pretty compact two bedroom semi detached house: it was £260,000 and that was just before local property prices spiked again. 
tbtstt said:
JZStudios said:
tbtstt said:
JZStudios said:

Nope

decisions decisions.... 
I'm 34 now, was 33 at purchase. From the little reading I've done, I think there is a considerable difference in property prices between the US and the UK. The house I bought is a pretty compact two bedroom semi detached house: it was £260,000 and that was just before local property prices spiked again. 

Holy cow, thats a lot for the US.  I have a smallish house with some nice acreage and a 2 car detached garage.  Paid way way less than that but its a 110 year old house so I have had to do some renovations (cosmetic) finished up inside now working on outside, but I DIY everything so I have saved a lot on labor.  Its been fun, but I am tired, hope next year to be done.  But I am 43 and I will have have it paid off when I am 65, seems like a long road ahead.  
gfRally said:
tbtstt said:
JZStudios said:
tbtstt said:
JZStudios said:

Nope

decisions decisions.... 

Holy cow, thats a lot for the US.  I have a smallish house with some nice acreage and a 2 car detached garage.  Paid way way less than that but its a 110 year old house so I have had to do some renovations (cosmetic) finished up inside now working on outside, but I DIY everything so I have saved a lot on labor.  Its been fun, but I am tired, hope next year to be done.  But I am 43 and I will have have it paid off when I am 65, seems like a long road ahead.  
The place I bought is a relatively new build (mid-80's) but it had previously been tenanted, so it needed some love: it's had a new bathroom, external doors, windows and fencing since I bought it. Also had to strip many, many, layers of wallpaper from the walls of all the room so they (and the ceilings) could be plastered: plasterer is due to do the last two ceilings tomorrow morning, which will be another milestone. Then I can start worrying about heating...

Most important jobs I have done on the house so far: built a shed and fully painted the garage! :smiley:
Ehh, Don't know where GF lives, but my particular city is fantastic, because a lot of things are rather expensive, and yet, there's almost no money here, unless you get a higher up job. i.e. not sure about our house, but our neighborhood has from I'd say $250,000 at lowest to a few $1,000,000. Pretty sure my friends house was $500 or so.I actually think our house is the worst in the neighborhood.... and... well it looks like it. It's kind of sad actually.
As to renovations, we had to redo the stucco on our walls since it started to fall of in large chunks. I'm not even kidding, prior we had large cracks in the stucco, which was a pinkish color, and tried to use some white silicone/liquid nails to try and hold it together. It essentially looked why we tried to camouflage it with tiger stripe. Anyways we got that done ourselves, and we still need to replace basically every window and the front walkway no longer exists, which looks awful. We also have a little AC unit room next to the front door that has a louvered door with all the louvers missing, and the door broken so it won't possibly close.
My friend on the other hand, had a weird little "sun room" right next to his kitchen that was split with a wall and had brick flooring with water damage underneath, and that was the second floor. So he ripped all that out, extended the kitchen, redid the roof, got a new AC that wasn't underpowered, replaced carpeting with tile, and turned a downstairs room into a studio with wood flooring, and got ripped off $2000 worth of work with a shady contractor. Followed by a new tailgate for another $2000 for his wife's car, and a new garage door that isn't going to fall off, for yet another $2000. Funny how so many things cost $2000.
In any case, I'm only 21, and the economy here sucks so hard that I can't even afford to try to go to college to try and move out. And you can't afford to move out on your own.
JZStudios said:
In any case, I'm only 21, and the economy here sucks so hard that I can't even afford to try to go to college to try and move out. And you can't afford to move out on your own.
That sounds very familiar. I'm in the minority among my friends in that I stayed at home longer in order to accumulate enough money to pay for a deposit: most moved out and started renting and, once you're in the rent trap, it's hard to get out of it.

Still, you are paying a lot less for fuel than we are, so that should cheer you up! :smiley:
@JZStudios

I live in suburbia in a quirky (everyone knows everyone), quaint old town, main business was a large saw mill in the late 1800's and the town is well preserved and economy is great here.  

If we are tossing numbers around, over the hill are 1-5million dollar homes (castles?), doesn't do me any good, except raises my property value some.  

There are plenty of homes around here that average $250-$500k.  I spent less because I wanted an older, home I like the way they are built, I have had very little maintenance issues, none like you guys are explaining - eeeek!  

No offense but, I don't live in some poor area like you are implying, I just live simple.
Someone here is going to come back to the forums after a little while off, see all the activity on the gossip thread and think a new game has been announced, then be disappointed after scrolling through pages of house prices! XD

Im getting bad at taking this thread off topic!
tbtstt said:
JZStudios said:
That sounds very familiar. I'm in the minority among my friends in that I stayed at home longer in order to accumulate enough money to pay for a deposit: most moved out and started renting and, once you're in the rent trap, it's hard to get out of it.

Still, you are paying a lot less for fuel than we are, so that should cheer you up! :smiley:
I suppose. Tucson is pretty cheap for fuel. Little while ago it was back down to $1.80/gallon Which is still high considering all the gas sources we could tap on American soil.
I've also heard that the British economy is better than Americas, so even with those high taxes and all you guys have more spending money, then again that was also a few years ago.
gfRally said:
@JZStudios
If we are tossing numbers around, over the hill are 1-5million dollar homes (castles?), doesn't do me any good, except raises my property value some. 
You said you had a cheap house.
And how do we know your house isn't lowering theirs? ;)
Someone here is going to come back to the forums after a little while off, see all the activity on the gossip thread and think a new game has been announced, then be disappointed after scrolling through pages of house prices! XD

Im getting bad at taking this thread off topic!
It's always more fun off topic. Look at Craics happy place.... not that one, the one on the forum.

Hmm...my 22 year old daughter has just moved to London for a job at Ogilvy and Mather. So the Lloyds come full circle. After she graduated college I thought I was done with paying for her but the salary she is getting as an intern will not cover the costs of renting an apartment in Kensington and her living expenses.

I left England 37 years ago, boy, has London changed.
cjl9 said:
Hmm...my 22 year old daughter has just moved to London for a job at Ogilvy and Mather. So the Lloyds come full circle. After she graduated college I thought I was done with paying for her but the salary she is getting as an intern will not cover the costs of renting an apartment in Kensington and her living expenses.

I left England 37 years ago, boy, has London changed.
Over 37 years everything changes.