Jump to content Jump to content
Message added by PJTierney,

Did you know that the long-time members of this thread have had a DiRTy Gossip Discord server for a while?

You do now 😉 

Alf72 said:

Kunos took a big, big risk taking AC to Consoles

The game literally looks like it's from a PS3 era yet has issues running on PS4... well, go figure.
BadD0g said:
Codies is also really good at getting racing games to feel right on a gamepad for scrubs like me. I've tried my best to match settings between AC and Dirt, but AC's never feel quite as smooth and comfortable.
Fixed :p Definitely can agree with this. Every single time I try pCARS with the gamepad, it's a struggle that ends up with "%^&* this" cause in the end it's just undriveable. Forza has... well, it's doable but the dampening is insane which makes it very numb in the feel.
Another developer that is extremely good with making gamepad work really well in a sim is Polyphony Digital... yes, that means the (in)famous Gran Turismo.
RyuMakkuro said:
BadD0g said:
Codies is also really good at getting racing games to feel right on a gamepad for scrubs like me. I've tried my best to match settings between AC and Dirt, but AC's never feel quite as smooth and comfortable.
Fixed :p Definitely can agree with this. Every single time I try pCARS with the gamepad, it's a struggle that ends up with "%^&* this" cause in the end it's just undriveable.
I'm driving with a gamepad in PCars just fine with default settings. Turn 10/Playground, Codies, SMS, and SimBin/Sector3 I've found are all really good at nailing controller feel for this type of simulation, both settings and rumble feedback. Turn 10 might be the best, especially for rumble, since it's the primary input for their games. Even rFactor 2 is doable, with a lot of finesse (though I only drive the BT20 in that game). I've not played a Kunos or Reiza game.
cjl9 said:
...and I'm downloading Obduction. That might take me away from DR for quite a while. If it's like Riven, Myst and the others in the series.
I've been playing around with the controversial (not to me) Star Citizen for a while.  Its filling in that void of incremental and continuous dev releases.  Also there is some gossip there too.  Also its kind of a nice break from my intense focus on racing games.  Still playing them, SC breaks often and gets a bit frustrating being an Alpha but hey, I would dye to have a broken alpha of the next DiRT game. 
I've just downloaded Forza 6 as it's free to play this weekend with Xbox live gold, and it weirdly doesn't feel as good on controller as Forza 5? Codies did a very good job on the Xbox version of dirt, the controller feels very good, especially as a game like dirt requires a hell of a lot more steering inputs and corrections than a track racer like Forza.
The steering limitations on controller in Forza are absolutely stupid. If you go into the tuning/garage whatever menu, you can test drive the car in the airport and hit D-pad up or down... maybe left right? Anyways it bring up telemetry and just mess about going at speed and trying to steer. Anything above like 30 or 40 it just basically cuts all steering. This wasn't the case in the earlier games, and not in Horizon either. Not sure why they keep doing it.
cjl9 said:
...and I'm downloading Obduction. That might take me away from DR for quite a while. If it's like Riven, Myst and the others in the series.
I saw that the other day too, let me know if it's worth buying.
gfRally said:
cjl9 said:
I've been playing around with the controversial (not to me) Star Citizen for a while.  Its filling in that void of incremental and continuous dev releases.  Also there is some gossip there too.  Also its kind of a nice break from my intense focus on racing games.  Still playing them, SC breaks often and gets a bit frustrating being an Alpha but hey, I would dye to have a broken alpha of the next DiRT game. 
If you like spaceship dogfighting games I'd suggest getting Freespace 2 from GOG.com. Fans have remade the first game in the second (which is actually less buggy) and you can download it for free. Wish I'd have known that before I bought them both though.

JZStudios said:
The steering limitations on controller in Forza are absolutely stupid. If you go into the tuning/garage whatever menu, you can test drive the car in the airport and hit D-pad up or down... maybe left right? Anyways it bring up telemetry and just mess about going at speed and trying to steer. Anything above like 30 or 40 it just basically cuts all steering. This wasn't the case in the earlier games, and not in Horizon either. Not sure why they keep doing it.
Isn't there a setting for speed sensitive steering or something like that?
Gamepad handling / feeling, in AC, might be not so good as how Codies do in theirs games, but it's playable. What's really bad is the chase cams. When most of console players use these cams ( i guess ), Kunos should have done a better job, if they are exactly how it's in PC. When there's people that say that chase cams in DR aren't quite good, that same people should try them in AC.
In my opinion it's due to how the handling model have been modeled & the physic actually play part on why the other game is more difficult to play with a gamepad. In most Codemasters games the physic is made so it can be played between the gamepad & wheel, but the assist often end up being faster which is frustrating. The cars aren't twitchy as it suppose to be.

Although I agree that the 3rd person is quite bad in Assetto Corsa. On PC you can fix it by removing the G view effect as it end up looking similar to Gran Turismo in 3rd person.
Yeah, from testing, ABS is a ... each side has its advantages and disadvantages when pushing for speed. Lower ABS - more common stalling. I went to ABS 3 and stalled on a flat surface in Greece, and went off a cliff into retirement in panic, which ABS 5 doesn't do... what 5 does is lessen brake strength so i fall off the cliff into retirement, panicked, again. :D

Traction Control becomes a nuisance past 2, and it is completely ignored by the Lancia 037 anyway, that will spin out even when standing still in neutral.
Stability Control simply shouldn't exist, as it pretty much goes to 0 throttle in hairpins, at least it does to my keyboard driving butt.
Didzis said:
JZStudios said:
Isn't there a setting for speed sensitive steering or something like that?
Don't think so. I managed to get a somewhat snappier response in Forza 4, but the new ones only seem to have any decent steering with a wheel. For testings sake I played the original Forza and that problem wasn't anywhere near as bad. You could take turns at a much more realistic speed.
JZStudios said:
enamel said:
In Forza there is "Simulation" steering, but it is still dampened.
I have absolutely ZERO idea what simulation steering actually does, and apparently neither does anyone else.
It disables certain "features" that come with Simple steering. For one the turning circle is "full", as in at least not as limited as in simple, second, it removes the simplification on some controls, so it's harder to not spin out, slide, etc.
In short, makes the cars faster but also more difficult to drive. People usually use simple on cars that are just beyond control.
JZStudios said:
enamel said:
In Forza there is "Simulation" steering, but it is still dampened.
I have absolutely ZERO idea what simulation steering actually does, and apparently neither does anyone else.
It disables certain "features" that come with Simple steering. For one the turning circle is "full", as in at least not as limited as in simple, second, it removes the simplification on some controls, so it's harder to not spin out, slide, etc.
In short, makes the cars faster but also more difficult to drive. People usually use it on cars that are just beyond control.
Still never feel a difference. And after googling I couldn't find anything, except a bunch of threads full of people trying to figure it out. :P I always have it on anyways.
So, while not necessarily gossip, Fanatec just announced the CSL wheelbase, which is supposed to be between the CSW v1 and v2, and going for $300. Uses all the same wheels as it's bigger brother, and the same accessories. Sells in a package with a rim and pedals set for $600.
Only problem is that faceplate...
Anyone interested?