Jump to content Jump to content

DiRTy Gossip

MastaVonBlasta

Message added by PJTierney,

Did you know that the long-time members of this thread have had a DiRTy Gossip Discord server for a while?

You do now 😉 

JZStudios said:
Apparently FH3 has better FFB.
On the other hand, I can do that in my car... Though not sure what your "low speed" is. Forza also has more of a weight transfer feel than actual road feel. I also read that it's due to some... thing where they have to use an old outdated source code or something for it. I don't know. Oddly enough actually found it through the PRC comments on the Forza wheel support.
Press the gas, rock the wheel no more than 90 degree without any FFB doing slalom & close you eye for about 5-7min...

Result?

You completed a lap.

MrDeap said:
No doubt the graphic is gorgeous in Forza, but wow. I can't believe people try to promote it as a sim, I could rock the steering left & right at 90 degree doing slalom randomly... Even with the steering simulation, at low speed, the car somehow managed to stay on track.
There is an insane amount of dampening in Apex, which isn't the case in the actual Forza 6 according to what people on the Forza forum claim. Hard for me to say as I don't have an Xbone or plan to, but I can definitely say that the dampening in Apex is just... a killer. There are nice physics to that game, definitely more sim than The Crew which is a decent simcade. I personally can see why a lot of people are enjoying that game so much, although the dampening is just... blergh. Even on a gamepad it's disgusting so I can imagine that on a steering wheel it's even worse.

MrDeap said:
JZStudios said:
Apparently FH3 has better FFB.
On the other hand, I can do that in my car... Though not sure what your "low speed" is. Forza also has more of a weight transfer feel than actual road feel. I also read that it's due to some... thing where they have to use an old outdated source code or something for it. I don't know. Oddly enough actually found it through the PRC comments on the Forza wheel support.
Press the gas, rock the wheel no more than 90 degree without any FFB doing slalom & close you eye for about 5-7min...

Result?

You completed a lap.
I've also heard that Forza kind of always has an amount of STM and TCS on, even to a tiny extent. You're obviously blowing the slalom out of proportion, but it still seems reasonable to be able to do slaloms through an autocross course around a track... it is a thing that exists... so I guess I'm still confused.
At the very least, Forza has more simulated body roll that affects handling than things like AC.

Roadbook is out, with a few hints. One being the phrase 'with Toyota back in the game' referring to their WRC return, but the wording is definitely up for interpretation
As there was "plenty of gossip between the lines" Toyota was certainly one as I can't find that much else. Maybe the 2017 Citroen.

Btw, are you sure they actually referred to Toyotas WRC return? "Back inte game after 18 years". The original Colin McRae Rally was released 1998, 18 years ago. To my knowledge the only time Codies had a WRC Toyota in their games ;)

BadD0g said:
The ST185 Celica was also in CMR5, and the ST205 in Dirt 1 & 3. Both very good looking cars, that Castrol livery was a perfect match for them. The 185 was one of my favorite cars in CMR5. I'd be very happy to see one (or both) in a certain new game.  :p
So, bogani, check your facts next time ;)

However, the Toyota quote is still very much gossip in my ears.

MrDeap said:
No doubt the graphic is gorgeous in Forza, but wow. I can't believe people try to promote it as a sim, I could rock the steering left & right at 90 degree doing slalom randomly... Even with the steering simulation, at low speed, the car somehow managed to stay on track.
There is an insane amount of dampening in Apex, which isn't the case in the actual Forza 6 according to what people on the Forza forum claim. Hard for me to say as I don't have an Xbone or plan to, but I can definitely say that the dampening in Apex is just... a killer. There are nice physics to that game, definitely more sim than The Crew which is a decent simcade. I personally can see why a lot of people are enjoying that game so much, although the dampening is just... blergh. Even on a gamepad it's disgusting so I can imagine that on a steering wheel it's even worse.
I don't believe that claim.  I bet it has to do with their PI system & the series handling model is simply build around that dampening. They probably sorted out that simulation steering to promote the removal of it but still there.

JZStudios said:
I've also heard that Forza kind of always has an amount of STM and TCS on, even to a tiny extent. You're obviously blowing the slalom out of proportion, but it still seems reasonable to be able to do slaloms through an autocross course around a track... it is a thing that exists... so I guess I'm still confused.
At the very least, Forza has more simulated body roll that affects handling than things like AC.

I know you have something against AC, but this game is build to last a long time. AC is the exemplary of pure handling interaction. (I just found out this jaw dropping montage randomly on youtube)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnrWElWgiH4

MrDeap said:
I know you have something against AC, but this game is build to last a long time.
Obviously graphics "don't matter" here, but for a game that is supposed to last a long time, it already looks like it has been made 10 years ago... not the best start for a longevity tbh xD
MrDeap said:
I don't believe that claim.  I bet it has to do with their PI system & the series handling model is simply build around that dampening. They probably sorted out that simulation steering to promote the removal of it but still there.
Call me "old fashioned" but I prefer a claim of multiple people who actually played the game over a "bet" of someone who didn't ;) Otherwise can't really understand why people would make threads about the dampening in Apex while there not being any of those for the standard Forza 6. But hey, I'm the "arcade popcorn" guy here, so what do I know :D
bogani said:
So, bogani, check your facts next time ;)
That's indeed a very good advice :D

Personally, I think that the whole "reading between the lines" is just meant for us to look for something that doesn't exist just to... well, you know, give us something to do while they are busy producing the stuff or waiting for an approval to actually release the kra... I mean gossip. That or I'm just extremely thick xD

MrDeap said:
MrDeap said:

JZStudios said:

I know you have something against AC, but this game is build to last a long time. AC is the exemplary of pure handling interaction. (I just found out this jaw dropping montage randomly on youtube)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnrWElWgiH4

I don't have anything against AC, other than the devs being raging Italians who think they've made gods gift and deny any problems with the physics engine (Of which there is many.) That, and I'm completely unimpressed by literally every aspect of that so called "game." I bought it because everyone raves about how good it's physics are and how awesome the FFB is and their both pretty mediocre. AC has so many missing physics elements I'm not sure how people believe it to be the pinnacle.
Back to my mention of weight transfer, I mentioned that AC doesn't seem to have much, if any, and people were confused by the notion of weight transfer being a thing that exists. But hey, there's also people that defend iRacings exterior tire tread heating up when it's not touching the ground so whatever. My main point is that all the sims suck, and are stuck in the early 2000's era of graphics and physics engines.
So no, AC is not the the exemplary epitome of handling interactions. A new Fiat Abarth should not feel the same through the wheel as a 1960's Lotus 49. Sure they handle differently, but with some cars basically being a copy paste.... AND some cars just being mods and put out as official content....

JZStudios said:
I don't have anything against AC, other than the devs being raging Italians who think they've made gods gift and deny any problems with the physics engine (Of which there is many.) That, and I'm completely unimpressed by literally every aspect of that so called "game." I bought it because everyone raves about how good it's physics are and how awesome the FFB is and their both pretty mediocre. AC has so many missing physics elements I'm not sure how people believe it to be the pinnacle.
Back to my mention of weight transfer, I mentioned that AC doesn't seem to have much, if any, and people were confused by the notion of weight transfer being a thing that exists. But hey, there's also people that defend iRacings exterior tire tread heating up when it's not touching the ground so whatever. My main point is that all the sims suck, and are stuck in the early 2000's era of graphics and physics engines.
So no, AC is not the the exemplary epitome of handling interactions. A new Fiat Abarth should not feel the same through the wheel as a 1960's Lotus 49. Sure they handle differently, but with some cars basically being a copy paste.... AND some cars just being mods and put out as official content....
That's because a lot actually drive a car & toy with them. You don't really need to look at numbers, because it is well made in term of pure driving interaction which both DR & AC does very well.

Sadly you'll probably hate the future.

MrDeap said:
JZStudios said:
That's because a lot actually drive a car & toy with them. You don't really need to look at numbers, because it is well made in term of pure driving interaction which both DR & AC does very well.

Sadly you'll probably hate the future.
What? I don't even understand. AC doesn't feel like a real car. How is that "the pinnacle of perfection?"
Using technology that's old and incomplete... you know what, if you want to talk about this start a new thread.

Brown noser XD

There was also something about an invite list, so best behaviour everyone!
Alright, bravo @ChristinaMc - well written, i'm going to err on the side of fine English, than accidentally choosing those words and that structure.

I bet they really were good meetings, very cool B)

http://blog.codemasters.com/dirt/09/dirt-rally-road-book-230916/

BadD0g said:
I'd really like to play it, but, you know, Windows 10. I'm sure I'll have to switch eventually but I'm going hold on to Win7 for dear life until then. Looking forward to playing it years from now!
Yep. Waiting for the port report. It's the windows store that concerns me. I seriously only want full screen on my triples. Why is that impossible?

Although on the other hand, that Reliant does have Clarkson's genius training wheels available, except they don't rip off.

I am not having some of the issues other are with the PC version, but FH3 has really exceeded my expectations so far. You can tell they put in a lot of work to make sure the game was a proper PC title on it's own instead of a minimum-effort console port. It runs great, altho I did have to turn on v-sync, running the game with unlocked frame rates causes an annoying stuttering issue that is pretty distracting. But at 60fps v-sync the game runs completely smooth, rock solid.

Handling is better than I expect from an open world driver. They did a good job making the cars handle uniquely within the constraints of the simplified handling model. With all the assists off, the cars slide, spin, brakes lock up, etc. Compared to the first Horizon (I never played the second), the handling is a lot closer to the Forza Motorsports series. Still isn't a super high fidelity car handling model, but it is better than I was expecting.

Love the environment, the super compressed version of AU has a ton of variety, from city street racing in a JDM Silvia, to twisting roads thru the rainforest in a GT3 car, to running buggies and trophy trucks in the desert. Tons of content, I am a bit overwhelmed with the amount of events on my map atm. And if you don't like an event's rules, you can change all the rules around and publish your own version of the event, for example swapping out muscle cars for classic rally cars on a race.

I know I am just gushing like a fanboy at this point, but I just didn't have the highest expectations for it, and was not expecting MS to take the PC release so seriously. They have paid lip service to PC gaming for a long time, and it feels like they are living up to the talk finally.