Jump to content Jump to content

I like the ideas about actually seeing the car in the service park.
If you have a cheap codriver he can forget a note, the splits would not be accurate, one second gap with the real time. He can get penalties because getting early or late into service or stage. And if you have a pro codriver you Will get perfect notes and perfect splits no penalties. 
But I wouldn't enjoy getting wrong notes because I don't have a 'top co-driver'.
This would only be annoying. Difference with the engineers is that those fix damage YOU have caused, so it's your OWN fault that your car is damaged in the first place.
But with a AI co-driver making mistakes, it's not your fault if something goes wrong on track, but the AI's fault, which is just annoying.
Not to start about getting penalties before a stage has even started, without having any control over this whatsoever.

I have the HUD off by default, and wouldn't want to have to listen to split times while focusing on the road and the notes I'm being told.
I like the ideas about actually seeing the car in the service park.
If you have a cheap codriver he can forget a note, the splits would not be accurate, one second gap with the real time. He can get penalties because getting early or late into service or stage. And if you have a pro codriver you Will get perfect notes and perfect splits no penalties. 
But I wouldn't enjoy getting wrong notes because I don't have a 'top co-driver'.
This would only be annoying. Difference with the engineers is that those fix damage YOU have caused, so it's your OWN fault that your car is damaged in the first place.
But with a AI co-driver making mistakes, it's not your fault if something goes wrong on track, but the AI's fault, which is just annoying.
Not to start about getting penalties before a stage has even started, without having any control over this whatsoever.

I have the HUD off by default, and wouldn't want to have to listen to split times while focusing on the road and the notes I'm being told.
It is not all the notes wrong just the codriver have more chances to fail maybe 1 in a rally, and in real life it is really common that the codriver tells the driver how is going this run against the last one with manual splits which arent perfect
I think having the co-driver make mistakes is a great idea, perfect notes just aren't a thing in rally, even at the top level and it would add a great level of realism to the game.

Gamers would hate it of course, but rally fans would appreciate it.
enamel said:
I think having the co-driver make mistakes is a great idea, perfect notes just aren't a thing in rally, even at the top level and it would add a great level of realism to the game.

Exactly perfect notes and perfect codrivers are really difficult to find in a rally, even WRC crews have bad notes or forget one, or read the next one. And when you start rallying in DiRT Rally anyone of you have commited mistakes? Why can't your codriver commit someones, it would be great
enamel said:

I'd do both, kind of like whenever @KickUp gets sort of winded and misses a note or struggles with it due to the bumps - I love it for the realism and immersion element, but get really annoyed at missing a note, but would also be angered if the dev's took feature out of the game. I'd probably have a similar reaction to co-driver mistakes: the rally fan in me would be all giddy while the gamer in me would be real annoyed.

Having said that, we are a relative minority within the target audience. Most would probably give it a lower score for imperfect pace/route notes.

In other news... anyone know what happened to @MastaVonBlasta AKA @GentlenameMVB ? The gossip element in this thread feels like its missing w/o his wild speculations, or maybe @justbiglee was just a way better tease. Or maybe there just isn't enough material to go on. Still, what little we do get isn't nearly as effective without the Masta here to give us a proper interpretation of its deepest meanings...
Agreed on not doing that bad co-driver thing, as a one time thing, might be fun, but in a game it would be horribly annoying.

That's ignoring how much more asset work it would require, let alone the testing; wait was that a bug or intentionally missed note?
Instead of the "bad co-driver" being a career feature, it could be simply a toggle in the option menu, by default being off. Something like "Realistic  Co-Driver" or something along the lines.

However, even with that, I'm pretty sure the quality of the pace notes themselves would go down given how those are recorded to achieve such a level of immersion.
Agreed on not doing that bad co-driver thing, as a one time thing, might be fun, but in a game it would be horribly annoying.

That's ignoring how much more asset work it would require, let alone the testing; wait was that a bug or intentionally missed note?
The codriver could say sorry when he miss the note LOL
789ifyz said:
In other news... anyone know what happened to @MastaVonBlasta AKA @GentlenameMVB ? The gossip element in this thread feels like its missing w/o his wild speculations, or maybe @justbiglee was just a way better tease. Or maybe there just isn't enough material to go on. Still, what little we do get isn't nearly as effective without the Masta here to give us a proper interpretation of its deepest meanings...
He got married and had a child, all great stuff but they do take up all your free time ☺he still trolls the devs on Twitter and I'm sure will be around once the gossip wheel kick's up a gear.

It's rare, but if you go really fast, he sometimes misses part of a note or if it's bumpy or there are jumps, he sometimes gets winded and/or struggles to get the words out. Really adds to the immersion, and it's not usually bad enough that you'd actually miss the note or not understand it.

Other games have tried something similar... sort of, but their attempts have been, to put it lightly, rubbish. The most annoying of all is the WRC games - you get the slightest scratch and the co-driver says "Careful!" and then he shuts up for a while and you're all like, "Fam! What you doing? Tell me where to go!" and he's like, "Nope! Crash first. Properly this time." 
Evilsmurf said:
789ifyz said:
He got married and had a child, all great stuff but they do take up all your free time ☺he still trolls the devs on Twitter and I'm sure will be around once the gossip wheel kick's up a gear.
Well with a wife and new chitlin he'll need an escape pretty soon. He'll be back..... He'll be back.
Didzis said:
I kinda liked, when in DiRT2 after a crash or a bump, the co-driver said: "Just a scratch", kinda felt a bit more personal
And if you had a big accident he'd ask if you're all right or express some annoyance and stuff like that. Which was really a nice feature, but his comments seemed to take priority over the pace-notes, so he'd end up skipping a few, which was not so good. If those comments had been implemented in such a way that it didn't get in the way/disturb the pace, it would have been much better.
After my rallying experience, I started to think what would be cool for the next game to be added in order to get the rally feeling in the game, one thing it is that in the career mode to get more involved, see the car in service park, Cross the launch ceremony,
I have been asking for this for years now!  Some think its a waste of time/money, but there was lots of 'fluff' in D2 and way back in CMR3 had just that.  Also today F1 has all kinds of this stuff.

And pacenotes?  Well as said, just liven them up a little.  Maybe an ouch or groan (like someone hit you in the stomach sound) on a hard landing in Finland.

Also when you roll your car pace notes should fly around a bit, along with whatever else that would be loose, but pace notes would be enough, I think.

I said this a long time ago, DR is absolutely awesome and cutting edge simulation, but the presentation is a bit cold/stale.  It was improved some once the console release happened, with the menu backgrounds.  Still needs more
I think something you guys are failing to realize is that the current notes in DR are already quite vague and cannot be trusted. They're kept extremely simple so that the broad range of people can understand them. The notes become less detailed as a result.

In my opinion, the only chance of this feature not being completely annoying is if the notes in the sequel are very, very good and detailed at the "pro" level, to compensate. Otherwise, you'd just be getting wrong calls now and then on top of notes that you already didn't trust. Not my idea of fun.
I think best and only real solution to pacenotes is to have a pacenote editor. U record all the possible callouts for pacenotes and then the player can do a recce and write inside the game what callouts he want at which point of the track. Then as a default option u have something along the lines of current model that is very vague and doesnt really work for any car but works for all cars.
I'd like the notes to stay similar to what they are now maybe with a bit more depth with + and -, what i'd like to see would be a multiplayer co-driver, invite one of your friends to do the notes for you maybe even with recce before the race. I think that could be tons of fun and pretty sure that its already on codies list as its been mentioned in the early access livestreams.
gheeD said:
I think best and only real solution to pacenotes is to have a pacenote editor. U record all the possible callouts for pacenotes and then the player can do a recce and write inside the game what callouts he want at which point of the track. Then as a default option u have something along the lines of current model that is very vague and doesnt really work for any car but works for all cars.
Agreed. Maybe you shouldn't have to make them from scratch, but there are a few places with incorrect notes as of now. There are also lots of places where you can go much faster than the note suggests. If we could edit those that would we awesome.
bogani said:
gheeD said:
Agreed. Maybe you shouldn't have to make them from scratch, but there are a few places with incorrect notes as of now. There are also lots of places where you can go much faster than the note suggests. If we could edit those that would we awesome.
Yeah I also think you should obviously be able to edit the default notes or create ur own from ground up.