Jump to content Jump to content
Message added by PJTierney,

Did you know that the long-time members of this thread have had a DiRTy Gossip Discord server for a while?

You do now 😉 

dgeesi0 said:
TOCA 3 with sim physics across the board like dirt rally would be a truly great game
Toca can suck my ass. sorry i own literally all codemasters games. but toca sucks big hairy ass.
Toca 2 was amazing though.
I remember playing all the TOCA's on PSX. Lord Bahamut those were a lot of fun and a challenge (well, for a 9-10 year old me at least). That series started declining with PS2 releases though.

Release a Circuit Racing game ( like TOCA games ), and be a success/popular, it needs to be top-notch, with all the competition there's atm ( AC, AMS, R3E, etc ). Imo, it's a route where they would have a hard time.

Better keep doing the kind of games, where they are the leading Studio ( Rally/Off-Road ) and improve them at every new release. They have no competition, or competition can't get even close... yet. 

bogani said:
dgeesi0 said:
TOCA 3 with sim physics across the board like dirt rally would be a truly great game
Toca can suck my ass. sorry i own literally all codemasters games. but toca sucks big hairy ass.
Toca 2 was amazing though.
Remember the Loch Ness track? That was awesome.
I do have a vague memory of a "bonus" track. I also remember some kind of Fiesta cup or something?
would like a assetto corsa style tarmac game but it would have to be done well. thing is assetto has this sown up.so anything but amazing would be a failure.also when you play dirt rally and tarmac its not great and that is from someone who thinks dirt rally is the best rally game ever.

dgeesi0 said:
would like a assetto corsa style tarmac game but it would have to be done well. thing is assetto has this sown up.so anything but amazing would be a failure.also when you play dirt rally and tarmac its not great and that is from someone who thinks dirt rally is the best rally game ever.

Ehh, I don't know why people like AC so much. Based on that Toca video, it's surprising how little race sims have advanced. There's more geometry, slightly higher textures, and a bit of a rudimentary lighting engine.
At least the CM games look good, and have a career that's fun to go through. Oh, and they're better optimized. And a million other things.
JZStudios said:
At least the CM games look good, and have a career that's fun to go through. Oh, and they're better optimized. And a million other things.
I assume you're referring to the GRID games? They're the most boring racing games I've ever played, not very challenging. Better optimized? Yeah, sure. But the car movement is way off in every single one of them. I prefer AC because it actually feels like I'm driving a car, and the amazing force feedback helps a lot. Not really impressed by people trying to rallify it though. That'll never work.

So yeah - for me, DR for rallying, AC for racing. GT Legends is also a great racing game.
Well, being probably the only representative of the popcorn side here, I think I should drop an opinion (and quickly run away).

While DR is definitely the game to go when it comes to rally, for racing I prefer... arcade racers (not even simcade tbh). Mainly due to the fact that you can have ridiculously close races at high speeds that in sim environment would just be not possible and would be... more than epic to watch. I'm not really sold on the "brake later, steal the apex, proceed to outaccelerate" style of the sim racers when it comes to... well, just racing. Driving? Yep, 100% agree on that, but for actual racing... arcade is a must.

Now... *runs away*
JZStudios said:
Ehh, I don't know why people like AC so much. Based on that Toca video, it's surprising how little race sims have advanced. There's more geometry, slightly higher textures, and a bit of a rudimentary lighting engine.
To be fair - driving an F40 around Nordschleife in AC is a pretty awesome experience.
JZStudios said:
I assume you're referring to the GRID games? They're the most boring racing games I've ever played, not very challenging. Better optimized? Yeah, sure. But the car movement is way off in every single one of them. I prefer AC because it actually feels like I'm driving a car, and the amazing force feedback helps a lot. Not really impressed by people trying to rallify it though. That'll never work.

So yeah - for me, DR for rallying, AC for racing. GT Legends is also a great racing game.
I mean the CM games. I was actually really talking about the Dirt series. Didn't play Grid, or F1, but they both have fans and F1 2016 seems to have people pretty happy. The Dirt Rally campaign is pretty barebones, but still more than AC, and it's not enough to get me to do it.
Well, being probably the only representative of the popcorn side here, I think I should drop an opinion (and quickly run away).

While DR is definitely the game to go when it comes to rally, for racing I prefer... arcade racers (not even simcade tbh). Mainly due to the fact that you can have ridiculously close races at high speeds that in sim environment would just be not possible and would be... more than epic to watch. I'm not really sold on the "brake later, steal the apex, proceed to outaccelerate" style of the sim racers when it comes to... well, just racing. Driving? Yep, 100% agree on that, but for actual racing... arcade is a must.

Now... *runs away*
I scream for Criterion to make another Burnout. They released that they were working on "something" like 3 years ago and haven't said a word since. I was hoping they'd be more open about it, and let fans in on it, and maybe even vote for features they'd like. Sort of like DR did, but they could've done it throughout the development cycle, instead of trying to shoehorn it in along with a million other things last minute.
JZStudios said:
JZStudios said:

I mean the CM games. I was actually really talking about the Dirt series. Didn't play Grid, or F1, but they both have fans and F1 2016 seems to have people pretty happy. The Dirt Rally campaign is pretty barebones, but still more than AC, and it's not enough to get me to do it.
I still they should take a page out of the f1 team on how to make a campagn. Base it around a championship. If they cant get a licence to an existing one, They can make their own Rally championship

Now... *runs away*
The racing might be fun, but often arcades don't really work with wheels. Like the last few Need for Speed games were just terrible with a wheel. The latest one felt half decent, but things like Most Wanted or Hot Pursuit were just bad. Usually they have some kind of weird speed sensitive steering, bad FFB and lillte to no setup options. The Crew for example, feels really floaty, although it is a bit better than NFS in terms of handling 
JZStudios said:
JZStudios said:

I still they should take a page out of the f1 team on how to make a campagn. Base it around a championship. If they cant get a licence to an existing one, They can make their own Rally championship
Well, they have the WRX license so that could be a done deal, as well as the Pikes Peak actually, so maybe they could add more into that too. DR is nice that it has the three separate classes, there's just not enough. As to the rally, yeah, just make up a DiRT championship, or since they have such a standing with the Burns's'es, call it the Burns IRC or something.
Didzis said:

Now... *runs away*
The racing might be fun, but often arcades don't really work with wheels. Like the last few Need for Speed games were just terrible with a wheel. The latest one felt half decent, but things like Most Wanted or Hot Pursuit were just bad. Usually they have some kind of weird speed sensitive steering, bad FFB and lillte to no setup options. The Crew for example, feels really floaty, although it is a bit better than NFS in terms of handling 
I'm not sure if I'm convinced the poor FFB comes from being an arcade, or just an afterthought barely functioning check mark to add another feature to the list.
Didzis said:
The racing might be fun, but often arcades don't really work with wheels.
That's because arcades are made generally for gamepads. And if you want to use a wheel, then anything more than 120 DOR is basically pointless. And again... arcades are about racing, not driving. It doesn't matter much how the physics feel to drive, it matters how they behave in a race, what they allow to happen, if they "match" the environment etc.
You can't go into an arcade racer with a sim mindset, just as you can't go into a sim racer with an arcade mindset. Even though both are racing games, they represent two completely different genres altogether. Similar story to RPGs and jRPGs. In short... enjoy it for what it is, not for what you want it to be.

PS. The Crew is a simcade and yes the physics are floaty and rather crap in general. If you want to know what a proper arcade racer is, look at actual Need For Speed games (aka everything pre Underground), Burnout, Redout, Wipeout, GRIP, Rollcage, Most Wanted '05, Hot Pursuit '10. Arcade racers nowadays are quite a lost genre, as nowadays it's either sim or simcade, or puke inducing arcade in the form of Need For Sales '15.
JZStudios said:
I scream for Criterion to make another Burnout. They released that they were working on "something" like 3 years ago and haven't said a word since.
They aren't working on Burnout and they won't be working on it anytime soon most likely. Three Fields Entertainment is making a spiritual successor to Burnout Takedown, and that dev studio is comprised of two founding members of Criterion.
Didzis said:
The racing might be fun, but often arcades don't really work with wheels.
That's because arcades are made generally for gamepads. And if you want to use a wheel, then anything more than 120 DOR is basically pointless. And again... arcades are about racing, not driving. It doesn't matter much how the physics feel to drive, it matters how they behave in a race, what they allow to happen, if they "match" the environment etc.
You can't go into an arcade racer with a sim mindset, just as you can't go into a sim racer with an arcade mindset. Even though both are racing games, they represent two completely different genres altogether. Similar story to RPGs and jRPGs. In short... enjoy it for what it is, not for what you want it to be.

PS. The Crew is a simcade and yes the physics are floaty and rather crap in general. If you want to know what a proper arcade racer is, look at actual Need For Speed games (aka everything pre Underground), Burnout, Redout, Wipeout, GRIP, Rollcage, Most Wanted '05, Hot Pursuit '10. Arcade racers nowadays are quite a lost genre, as nowadays it's either sim or simcade, or puke inducing arcade in the form of Need For Sales '15.
JZStudios said:
I scream for Criterion to make another Burnout. They released that they were working on "something" like 3 years ago and haven't said a word since.
They aren't working on Burnout and they won't be working on it anytime soon most likely. Three Fields Entertainment is making a spiritual successor to Burnout Takedown, and that dev studio is comprised of two founding members of Criterion.
Yeah they're doing "Beyond cars" or something, with a focus on more sports. Honestly don't know how that's going to work.
JZStudios said:
In my opinion, it's due that's probably the game that drive the closest to a car. With the new tire model 10, it's quite close. Also the special event difficulty is entertaining. There are other racing games that simulate more stuff, but doesn't really translate well how it feel nor behave as the like of the real thing.

I like the motorsport theme on Codemasters games & they're very good at it. Other should screw their pokemon & RPGish. Racing is a sport & they make their games affordable with enough content.

There's one series that I hate a lot is Forza for sure. The steering is so heavily assisted that it give vomit driving.

For PCARS, the handling is broken & backer are so forceful with their dividend & desperate to get a pay check that I find it annoying. All Cody games handle better than that game. So please, don't promote that garbage(it's a trend nowaday).

There's also that expensive online game that sponsor people to advertise their game & claim it has the best online multiplayer...

I doubt that we'd be allowed to say re invites, that'd likely be covered under the NDA.
I don't recall us being silenced on confirming our attendance before, but perhaps things are different this time around.

Damn shame I didn't get any gaming time yesterday, as I really wanted to do the Wales special event!