Jump to content Jump to content
Message added by PJTierney,

Did you know that the long-time members of this thread have had a DiRTy Gossip Discord server for a while?

You do now 😉 

JZStudios said:
JZStudios said:
At least the CM games look good, and have a career that's fun to go through. Oh, and they're better optimized. And a million other things.
I assume you're referring to the GRID games? They're the most boring racing games I've ever played, not very challenging. Better optimized? Yeah, sure. But the car movement is way off in every single one of them. I prefer AC because it actually feels like I'm driving a car, and the amazing force feedback helps a lot. Not really impressed by people trying to rallify it though. That'll never work.

So yeah - for me, DR for rallying, AC for racing. GT Legends is also a great racing game.
I mean the CM games. I was actually really talking about the Dirt series. Didn't play Grid, or F1, but they both have fans and F1 2016 seems to have people pretty happy. The Dirt Rally campaign is pretty barebones, but still more than AC, and it's not enough to get me to do it.
From a pure driving perspective I really dig AC. As a complete package, not so much.

It's still basically a hotlap simulator with generic visuals and very poor sound. It also misses lots of features.

I just picked up Project Cars for like 10 dollars, and as I just got my triple screen setup I have to say I'm enjoying it quite a bit at the moment. Start flaming me ;)

It really doesn't have to be a sim at all to be enjoyable. My best overall experience so far I had with Forza 4 thanks to an awesome british league called CCRO that hosted great racing each week.

As long as the physics is predictable and consistant it's perfectly fine by me.
bogani said:
From a pure driving perspective I really dig AC. As a complete package, not so much.

It's still basically a hotlap simulator with generic visuals and very poor sound. It also misses lots of features.

I just picked up Project Cars for like 10 dollars, and as I just got my triple screen setup I have to say I'm enjoying it quite a bit at the moment. Start flaming me ;)

@bogani  I agree.  For me, outside the car, AC is stale.  I mean the menu system/interface is meh..  The scenery looks like its from 15 years ago.  However the cars model detail, and physics are superb, but the models fall a little short of Forza.  

PCars, although not so much of a sim, the package is there, you feel immersed in the game. 
theres nothing wrong with liking different games. its all down to opinion.its just many hate pcars because its just so wrong in the handling department its almost a crime.

AC maybe more of a hotlap simulator but it does it so good you overlook the other bits. pcars it cant be overlooked it is just **** .

when you play a driving sim game you want to feel rewarded or that you made enough effort to get through to the end or it took somekind of skill to get there. also that with learning you can get better.while obviously enjoying the ride.

there isnt many games that can do this as often key elements are missed or left out.
dgeesi0 said:
when you play a driving sim game you want to feel rewarded or that you made enough effort to get through to the end or it took somekind of skill to get there. also that with learning you can get better.while obviously enjoying the ride.

there isnt many games that can do this as often key elements are missed or left out.
For me the first game I've played that really has a proper learning curve has been DiRT Rally. I haven't played any actual sim games before. But while I did off course get better at DiRT 2 & 3 by playing more, it was basically by just a couple of seconds. Looking at the leader boards for stages in those games, the top 100 or so was all within a second or two. Compared too the huge amount of time that can be gained by pure skill in DiRT Rally, it motivates to keep practising, and getting better, while at previous DiRT games you could keep practising to only improve by a couple of hundreds of a second.
Subject change, but did anyone catch any of Gymkhana Grid yesterday? Probably not everyone's cup of tea, but I thought it was worth watching just to get a closer look at the car control from Solberg: his driving looks utterly effortless.
tbtstt said:
I doubt that we'd be allowed to say re invites, that'd likely be covered under the NDA.
I don't recall us being silenced on confirming our attendance before, but perhaps things are different this time around.

Damn shame I didn't get any gaming time yesterday, as I really wanted to do the Wales special event!
Last time we were allowed to say we visited codies, but couldn't say what for, as in couldn't mention it was for dirt
bogani said:
JZStudios said:
JZStudios said:
At least the CM games look good, and have a career that's fun to go through. Oh, and they're better optimized. And a million other things.
I assume you're referring to the GRID games? They're the most boring racing games I've ever played, not very challenging. Better optimized? Yeah, sure. But the car movement is way off in every single one of them. I prefer AC because it actually feels like I'm driving a car, and the amazing force feedback helps a lot. Not really impressed by people trying to rallify it though. That'll never work.

So yeah - for me, DR for rallying, AC for racing. GT Legends is also a great racing game.
I mean the CM games. I was actually really talking about the Dirt series. Didn't play Grid, or F1, but they both have fans and F1 2016 seems to have people pretty happy. The Dirt Rally campaign is pretty barebones, but still more than AC, and it's not enough to get me to do it.

It really doesn't have to be a sim at all to be enjoyable. My best overall experience so far I had with Forza 4 thanks to an awesome british league called CCRO that hosted great racing each week.

Actually they just recently did an update for the Porsche Pack, which I'm not sure if I want to buy. I love Porsche, but I don't think I want to spend moore money on that game. Anyways, the few cars I drove, before I realized they didn't change much, did sound better and the surround sound finally works mostly properly. That was the big update, and they changed the rest of the GT3 cars to V10 tires. Maybe I'm severely missing something, but why does it take so long to put the new tire model on the cars?
On a slight side note, Kunos being themselves I found it quite ironic that they'd ban people from the forum saying the sound isn't great and missing basic basic features, then people would attack them and say it's perfect, and now Kunos basically agrees finally that they had no idea what the hell they were doing. Those guys are idiots.
But yeah, as long as physics are consistent. I don't mind PCars much, it runs smoother and looks way better with more options than AC and I still get about the same framerate with my 960 on triple screens. During my update AC playtest, it got down to 30fps on Nurburgring... PCars is at like 50. And as long as you don't try to slide in PCars it's not too bad.
Also seriously, the best FFB I've felt in a game is BeamNG. It actually really feels like real driving, it's just too bad they don't get the same attention, but they're super dedicated.
JZStudios said:
Actually they just recently did an update for the Porsche Pack, which I'm not sure if I want to buy. I love Porsche, but I don't think I want to spend moore money on that game. Anyways, the few cars I drove, before I realized they didn't change much, did sound better and the surround sound finally works mostly properly. That was the big update, and they changed the rest of the GT3 cars to V10 tires. Maybe I'm severely missing something, but why does it take so long to put the new tire model on the cars?
On a slight side note, Kunos being themselves I found it quite ironic that they'd ban people from the forum saying the sound isn't great and missing basic basic features, then people would attack them and say it's perfect, and now Kunos basically agrees finally that they had no idea what the hell they were doing. Those guys are idiots.
But yeah, as long as physics are consistent. I don't mind PCars much, it runs smoother and looks way better with more options than AC and I still get about the same framerate with my 960 on triple screens. During my update AC playtest, it got down to 30fps on Nurburgring... PCars is at like 50. And as long as you don't try to slide in PCars it's not too bad.
Also seriously, the best FFB I've felt in a game is BeamNG. It actually really feels like real driving, it's just too bad they don't get the same attention, but they're super dedicated.
I've tested AC's Porsche Pack lately, and I think I like 935 'MD' the most :)
And I agree about FFB in BeamNG.
JZStudios said:
I've tested AC's Porsche Pack lately, and I think I like 935 'MD' the most :)
And I agree about FFB in BeamNG.
Yeah, I'm not sure I'm that super interested in it. I also wonder why AC seems to always look way better in the promo shots than in game, and I'm pretty sure they BS it. The driver hands are super polygonal in game and could cut glass, but in the promo picture they're nice and rounded like actual hands. I think. They also always have insane DOF blur to hide all the low detail.
Mentioning fishy promos, this reminds me of this recent video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPQr4NoRsbQ

Just putting it out there who wants to watch something :)
And on topic of sims, from the few sims/half-sims (things not made by CM) it always seemed to feel as if there is one and only one acceptable line through corners, stray from it and the car seemed noticeably slower and not intuitive? Hard to tell more than that - playing with KB is ... not exactly feedback filled :D Maybe i am just spoiled by how cornering worked in GRID series and pre-Criterion NFS games as i came late to sim-ish games.
If I could chime in with my own opinion here - I'm by no means a sim racer, and circuit racing in general doesn't interest me much, so if I'm going to play a racing game it's either going to be an arcade game or a rally game.

In rally games, the feel of the cars is obviously really important, but the thing that usually sticks with me and makes me love a game is the presentation - whether or not the game makes me feel like I'm actually participating in a rally event. This usually comes down to the bits in between the stages. DR is lacking in this sort of thing (although it feels fantastic on-stage). I grew up with the McRae games, which had excellent presentation of their career modes (04 is my favorite personally), and they made me feel like I was racing in a full rally season. I'll never forget the excitement of 'travelling' to a new location, or trying to choose tires and setup in the service area while looking at the stage maps and conditions. So much of rally is about what happens between stages, and I know a lot of people prefer to just get to the action, but a career mode doesn't feel like a career when you're just jumping between stages with some bland menus in between.

I'm rambling a bit, so I'll get to the point: Assetto Corsa may be a great representation of how cars handle and how the track surface feels and all that good stuff, but there is nothing in between. Given the choice of "super accurate simulation" and "excellent presentation," I'm ALWAYS going to go for the presentation. CMR4 may not be much of a 'sim,' but I love it so, so much more than a lot of the sims I've tried because it almost tells a story through its presentation, and personally, that's going to stick with me much more than some advanced physics tech I'll never understand.

What was I actually saying? I don't even remember anymore. Let me know if this had anything to do with what you guys were actually talking about.  :D
edgenz said:
I'm with you @BadD0g - DR already has the driving nailed - if the next one adds the immersion / experience of an actual rally event - it will be the best motorsport game ever. period. 
it has the gravel nailed the tarmac no.

as for graphics its not all about graphics.rather have a better realistic fun game than a super duper graphics whore.
JZStudios said:
I also wonder why AC seems to always look way better in the promo shots than in game
I think you should upgrade your hardware. I'm not really into talking about AC in codemasters forum, but the game look rather in the eye candy side.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCCEVlgPI4s
dgeesi0 said:
edgenz said:
I'm with you @BadD0g - DR already has the driving nailed - if the next one adds the immersion / experience of an actual rally event - it will be the best motorsport game ever. period. 

as for graphics its not all about graphics.rather have a better realistic fun game than a super duper graphics ****.
It's not about super duper graphics - at all. It's the immersion we're talking about - adding gameplay and environments that make you feel like you're at a club rally event - not making what we have in DR prettier.

From my POV, if the tarmac experience improved in DR:2, and the level of immersion into the sport of rally didn't, i'd be disappointed. If the immersion improved, and the tarmac feel didn't - I'd still be really really happy. 
MrDeap said:
JZStudios said:
I also wonder why AC seems to always look way better in the promo shots than in game
I think you should upgrade your hardware. I'm not really into talking about AC in codemasters forum, but the game look rather in the eye candy side.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCCEVlgPI4s
I run the game at max. PP effects are not going to make the think the low res textures and rudimentary lighting are better than they are. Everything trackside is just a 2d sprite, of low quality. The models aren't even high res. Seriously, why do the drivers knuckles only have 2 vertices? The game looks awful. I'm also pretty sure they don't use normal maps, or if they do, it's very limited.
edgenz said:
dgeesi0 said:
edgenz said:

as for graphics its not all about graphics.rather have a better realistic fun game than a super duper graphics ****.
It's not about super duper graphics - at all. It's the immersion we're talking about - adding gameplay and environments that make you feel like you're at a club rally event - not making what we have in DR prettier.

From my POV, if the tarmac experience improved in DR:2, and the level of immersion into the sport of rally didn't, i'd be disappointed. If the immersion improved, and the tarmac feel didn't - I'd still be really really happy. 
I've said it a few times before, and it's not the popular opinion, but I really liked Dirt 2's trailer menu system. Sure, it's not the quickest, but it was more immersive. It did feel like it was always based at the X-games though. They could do the same type of deal but tone down the grandeur.

JZStudios said:
I've said it a few times before, and it's not the popular opinion, but I really liked Dirt 2's trailer menu system. Sure, it's not the quickest, but it was more immersive. It did feel like it was always based at the X-games though. They could do the same type of deal but tone down the grandeur.

You're not alone. I loved the trailer part of the menus in DiRT2 as well. If they'd do something similiar for DR:2, I'd be all for it.
dgeesi0 said:

I have said it elsewhere, but I fully agree with this as well. Handling and sound means far more to me than ultra polished scenery.
They just need to make it more european. :tongue:
I'd like an option to drink tea and eat scones in the back of a Transit van before going racing. Once successful in the career mode I should be able to upgrade the Transit to a caravan.
zoliRX said:
JZStudios said:

You're not alone. I loved the trailer part of the menus in DiRT2 as well. If they'd do something similiar for DR:2, I'd be all for it.
hated the trailer bit.was a bit clumsey and time consuming.trying to quit from it also you had to wait ages.think dirt rally has the menu and starting rallying/playing just about right.easy to navigate and straight into action.somethings like changing car set ups should be better though like on the fly and using other peoples set ups from the leaderboards.like in F1 2016 which does this effortlessly. also checking times for tracks before doing them.not after.

story mode or single player dont know how you would do it. im not a person who really plays them. love f1 2016 great fun didnt touch the single player.

next person will want different to me which is fine as long as different people can have a something they like in the next game.which doesnt effect the fun of each other.which is differcult to make.

wonder when we will see a early access prog on steam. my guess will be about same time as last year around easter but guess they will have alpha builds maybe around now or early next year.