Jump to content Jump to content

@tbtstt

Nikon F-Mount lenses date back to the 70s, my D300 can use them all.  Of course the older you get the less features you have, like metering modes, AF (of course), etc.  Reverse compatibility, newer lenses to older bodies, I'm not real sure about.  

The nice thing, is there are some old lenses with almost superior optics that will still fit a current model.  I have used a pre-autofocus lens (early 80s?) that only cost $70 compared to $800 brand new equivalent.  I've been taking photos so long that manual focus/manual exposure isn't too hard to work out quickly, just takes more planing if your taking action pix.

Anyhow, point being, its a nice advantage.  However, the pix you are getting back, are very good.  Sometimes new equipment is great, but its fun working with what you have till you know it inside and out and you seem to have done that :) 
gfRally said:
@tbtstt

Sometimes new equipment is great, but its fun working with what you have till you know it inside and out and you seem to have done that :) 
Fully agree with this @gfRally: financial reasons aside, I still feel like I have a lot more to learn with the stuff I have, so I'd like to be sure I'm getting the most out of that first! 
bogani said:

Do the graphs and info on dirtgame.com synch badly with the actual leaderboards? I can't figure them out. On this particular stage and this class I currently had 8th best time, so what does the 496 number mean?

I think 495 people already attempted the stage and you are the 496th to do so.
Well, that number is way to low. Maybe that 496 people managed under 2:30, but that seems quite off too. 

Maybe @Hatward can fill us in or confirm the graphs are broken? ;)
tbtstt said:
gfRally said:
@tbtstt

Sometimes new equipment is great, but its fun working with what you have till you know it inside and out and you seem to have done that :) 
Fully agree with this @gfRally: financial reasons aside, I still feel like I have a lot more to learn with the stuff I have, so I'd like to be sure I'm getting the most out of that first! 
I though Canon also had interchangeable lenses?
My friend went to the D810 for some reason or another... think it had more features he wanted or something. Maybe better lowlight or action? But it is nice that if I get a low end we can share lenses.
JZStudios said:
tbtstt said:
gfRally said:
@tbtstt

My friend went to the D810 for some reason or another... think it had more features he wanted or something. Maybe better lowlight or action? But it is nice that if I get a low end we can share lenses.

Canon does, and they may have standardized over the past few years, not sure always shot nikon, so im only familiar with them.  There was a time some years ago that they changed with every couple of models.  

Currently the biggest differences between Nikon and Canon is Canon is lightyears ahead on video, and nikons are a wee sharper and do better in low light.  This is what the reviews say at least.  
gfRally said:
JZStudios said:

Canon does, and they may have standardized over the past few years, not sure always shot nikon, so im only familiar with them.  There was a time some years ago that they changed with every couple of models.  

Currently the biggest differences between Nikon and Canon is Canon is lightyears ahead on video, and nikons are a wee sharper and do better in low light.  This is what the reviews say at least.  
Canon built a new lens mount from scratch in 1987 to support autofocus, and they've been using it (unchanged) ever since then. Nikon's mount dates back to the 50s but there have been a number of revisions. Technically you can mount any Nikon SLR lens to any Nikon SLR, but some features may or may not work depending.

I've shot with both systems for a few years, we can talk camera stuff in the Happy Place if you want.  ;)
I'm surprised that people think Codemasters are anywhere near releasing a new Dirtgame and that this is the stuff they worked on. Maybe the big news is that they will confirm working on it, but since they were busy with the current game until the release of the console ports (early 2016) I can't imagine them having something concrete to show us at this point. Releasing a dlc on the other hand would seem to be a bit late, maybe a bigger add-on including new licenses and game modes. 
KevM said:
Surely the department that worked on coding DiRT for the console port, were totally separate to the team that design cars/stages/physics, & I doubt they all sat around idol waiting on their teammates doing they're stuff?
Fair enough, but even if they were starting to develop a new Dirt Game in 2015, releasing it next year without Even having confirmed anything about it yet seems unrealistic. Don't know about some early Access stuff. So the only thing left to offer for the next year would have to be related to the current game imo. 
Bigger team, bigger budget & a solid base to work from in the current game.  

I think we'll see an evolution of the current game, with evolved physics and a new storyboard walk-through & a more personal multiplayer setup like the former titles & obviously new stages & locations.

might not take that long?
BadD0g said:
gfRally said:
JZStudios said:

Canon built a new lens mount from scratch in 1987 to support autofocus, and they've been using it (unchanged) ever since then. Nikon's mount dates back to the 50s but there have been a number of revisions. Technically you can mount any Nikon SLR lens to any Nikon SLR, but some features may or may not work depending.

I've shot with both systems for a few years, we can talk camera stuff in the Happy Place if you want.  ;)
...This is my happy place.
Look what I found. Some seriously funny ****, right? Right?

Owning birds, the amount of force they can squeeze that out with is unholy.

On to a completely random and separate topic, the Ubisoft store thing has 7 free games available, including the crew. Gave it a shot. Doesn't really work with my setup, my shifter isn't recognized and some buttons I can't seem to remap, but it's also not "officially supported."
Anyways, even with the physics being a bit goofy, it's pretty satisfying to start off in Detroit, pick a random exit, drive to Chicago, then see Pikes Peak in the distance and make my way there via some helpful street signs without any nav map. Even if its a gross bastardization of the States, if they got some decent physics for The Crew 2 I'd pick it up.
I got it free with games for gold on Xbox, hated the physics, and the only thing that tells you that you're at pikes peak is the name. Tbf I've hardly put any time into it, mainly because it was free, and the physics put me off quickly. But the scale of the map is a really cool concept
I got it free with games for gold on Xbox, hated the physics, and the only thing that tells you that you're at pikes peak is the name. Tbf I've hardly put any time into it, mainly because it was free, and the physics put me off quickly. But the scale of the map is a really cool concept
Yeah... After a little while got more used to it, and trying to drive it more like a normal car than an arcade game helps a small amount. The map is legitimately impressive, it's just a dumb MMORPG upgrade system and goofy physics that put it off. The map is a bit disappointing in certain areas, for example, my entire state was reduced to like 3 Native American trailer park reservations, an airplane graveyard (Which does exist) and an old Mission (Which they modeled quite poorly.) It also at no point resembles any of the actual environment here. I get that its a smaller scale... but Phoenix is a massive city, and it's not even in the game, but Detroit is. Or other dumb little towns with a population of 3 people.
Even still, it's fun to just drive around anywhere you want.
Also, the 30th time I tried to bind my shifter it decided to work.
Yeah, I could see it being pretty disappointing if you're from the US, but it is difficult to consolidate an entire country like that into a playable map in a game. I wonder what their version of the uk would end up like? Probably the entire city of London in intense detail with a couple of farms around the outside
Yeah, I could see it being pretty disappointing if you're from the US, but it is difficult to consolidate an entire country like that into a playable map in a game. I wonder what their version of the uk would end up like? Probably the entire city of London in intense detail with a couple of farms around the outside
Vatican city seems possible. Or another smaller country. Apparently Luxemburg....
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1077380-Here-is-how-big-The-Crew-s-map-is-compared-to-the-real-US-Forums
It's just weird to me. I know doing like the 50 state capitals is a bit much, but my state is more than the grand canyon and a trailer park. If the did Britain, it'd have London, some small farm towns and a few other larger outlying cities. It'd have the white cliffs n such. I mean, Forza Horizon's map isn't huge, but it gives a decent representative of a few different cities.
This comment originally claimed that the issues mentioned earlier with the British accent were limited to London.

I have since been corrected and my ignorance reduced.

Also, ever since that first comment, I seem to be noticing these quirks more and more. I guess I'm unconsciously looking out for them now. I might be in for a surprise when I move back to Manchester next year.