Jump to content Jump to content

bogani said:
tbtstt said:
Didzis said:
Sagwaro is how I would say it, I also pronounce tortilla as tor-ti-yah (I'm english). Jaguar I say as it is in the UK, Jag-u-ar.

How would you pronounce GIF as in the file name? The creator of the file says it should be 'jiff' but everyone else says its how its spelt, giff.
Just please don't start the GIF - JIF battle here, it's gonna be S1 22B all over again 
Did someone say Subaru?

Yes. We need to discuss the correct pronounciation of Subaru. You need to sound like an angry japanese when saying it.
Here in Germany Subaru is pronounced with a long and strong first u (as it is written), but I know most english speakers will pronounce it with a very short first u, like: Subbarru

Which is the "correct" aka Japanese way of saying I do not know... XD
The Subaru was too harsh on the cute lad to pronounce gently... The boxer makes it harsh like some kangaroos fighting to get more horsepower?? And Toyota sounded unusual for the English pronunciation. Mazda sounded legit.

what about this? how would it sound? I mean the famous Top Gear trio have pronounced it just fine, but how would it sound with no intentions to throw up??

Image result for pagani huayra
Darhour said:
The boxer makes it harsh like some kangaroos fighting to get more horsepower??
That reminds of that video where the australian guy punched a kangaroo in the face.
what about this? how would it sound? I mean the famous Top Gear trio have pronounced it just fine, but how would it sound with no intentions to throw up??
Image result for pagani huayra
I think it definitely requires phlegm. Myabe if you do a hwhy ra? Like just do why with an h at the beginning.
Darhour said:
Polish got a trick for that one. We call it "Hujara", which is pronounced "Whoyara". The reason why it's been named like that, is that "huj" or orthographically correct "chuj" is a term used to describe the gentleman sausage... in the unfriendly manner. English equivalent would be the "d" word.

And yes, we do similar name tricks often xD
JZStudios said:
Obviously it does if he knows/eats them. Does polish have their own naming convention for Jaguars? I would imagine so...
Why did I even bother... This is literally like talking to a wall. Ok, last time, maybe there's a crack in it.

The word "Tortilla" doesn't exist in Polish vocabulary. It's a foreign word which is why it's pronounced in the language of its origin, as every word that doesn't exist in the vocabulary. Last time I checked that's true for every single language out there. Jaguar on the other hand is a name of an animal that existed in the Polish vocabulary (and most other languages as well) for a very long time now, unlike some food that spread worldwide only few years ago.
If the word "Tortilla" would be put into Polish vocabulary at some point, it would most likely be adjusted to match the orthography rules of the Polish language, at which point the pronunciation of it would change. But at that point that word would become a Polish word that was derived from the word "Tortilla". Too many words in a single sentence xD
Darhour said:
Polish got a trick for that one. We call it "Hujara", which is pronounced "Whoyara". The reason why it's been named like that, is that "huj" or orthographically correct "chuj" is a term used to describe the gentleman sausage... in the unfriendly manner. English equivalent would be the "d" word.

JZStudios said:
Obviously it does if he knows/eats them. Does polish have their own naming convention for Jaguars? I would imagine so...
Why did I even bother... This is literally like talking to a wall. Ok, last time, maybe there's a crack in it.

The word "Tortilla" doesn't exist in Polish vocabulary. It's a foreign word which is why it's pronounced in the language of its origin, as every word that doesn't exist in the vocabulary. Last time I checked that's true for every single language out there. Jaguar on the other hand is a name of an animal that existed in the Polish vocabulary (and most other languages as well) for a very long time now, unlike some food that spread worldwide only few years ago.
If the word "Tortilla" would be put into Polish vocabulary at some point, it would most likely be adjusted to match the orthography rules of the Polish language, at which point the pronunciation of it would change. But at that point that word would become a Polish word that was derived from the word "Tortilla". Too many words in a single sentence xD
So the polish word for jaguar is jaguar? I know that things like cake and cookies have their own words. And if you say it in English you pronounce it correctly. Why would Tortilla all of a sudden be mispronounced after magically appearing in the polish vocab? It's already in the vocab if people know about it. That's how language works.
JZStudios said:
Darhour said:

JZStudios said:

So the polish word for jaguar is jaguar? I know that things like cake and cookies have their own words. And if you say it in English you pronounce it correctly. Why would Tortilla all of a sudden be mispronounced after magically appearing in the polish vocab? It's already in the vocab if people know about it. That's how language works.
Indeed.
If it would have been added to our dictionary then it would be probably changed, like it happened fg. to design = dizajn, but design is also a correct form because that's the original word the polish was made from.

There are some language rules that you simply cannot break.

jaguar in polish means an animal that's a jaguar - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar

please pause this grammar-pronouncation facism.

BadD0g said:
Yes, full-frame lenses will fit on an APSC body; no, full-frame lenses are MORE expensive than APSC lenses. It's the FILM lenses that are dirt cheap, and they are full-frame sized.

Ooh, I didnt know there was a difference in film lenses and 'normal' lenses? Especially price, I imagine they would be more expensive. Looking to get some lenses for filming, what would you recommend? Do they do zoom ones or just prime?
sqdstr said:
urgaffel said:
I wish I could drop a gossip bomb to stop all this grammaring ;)
Wishes are made to come true, just so u know... ;)
DiRT Showdown 2 DiRT Showdown 2 DiRT Showdown 2 DiRT Showdown 2 DiRT Showdown 2! :D
Showdown 2 was pretty good when we played it the other month, hope everyone else is looking forward to it!