Jump to content Jump to content

Alf72 said:

https://youtu.be/PLiEaOOdtG8

Congrats Codies - you killed GT Sport for me. Probably any other racing game :p
And I really glad that all footage I saw was from a standard PS4. I remember SLRE dev said it's impossible to get more than 30 fps on PS4 hardware, lol.

They don't have the optimization skill that Codies have. Imo, Codies are one of the best, making the games run very smooth.

Goes to show that with some effort, you can get a beautiful looking game that runs great. Witcher 3 is another one that got it right. All racing games should target 60fps, 30fps on a racing sim is just nasty if you want to make those reactive movements

Yeah, I played forza horizon loads when it first came out, when I eventually put dirt rally back into my Xbox after a couple of weeks, I could not believe the difference between 30fps and 60! It was mad how much smoother dirt looked. I'd never really thought or cared about it before then as it's probably the first racing game I've had that runs that smoothly.

Also, the unveiling of project Scorpio earlier has got me very interested, although I have no idea what all those numbers mean (other than they they're higher than the standard Xbox and the PS4 pro)
Alf72 said:
They don't have the optimization skill that Codies have. Imo, Codies are one of the best, making the games run very smooth.

It's not that they don't have optimization skills that Codies have, they don't have optimization skills at all. An ogre would've done a better job at optimising the game than them. And that's without even using the keyboard xD

Had a look at the vid with the RX car of Bakkerud at dirtfish. Very disapointing to see the bonnet fly of with no real reason. I've seen that in other games and it looks soooo arcade. In real life the bonnet rarely goes of except in the first 100 meters when a mechanic didn't fit it right. B)

@kickup is this also in dirt 4 using simulation? If so please re-think...

@kickup, do/can mechanics make mistakes when repairing and servicing the car?

Had a look at the vid with the RX car of Bakkerud at dirtfish. Very disapointing to see the bonnet fly of with no real reason. I've seen that in other games and it looks soooo arcade. In real life the bonnet rarely goes of except in the first 100 meters when a mechanic didn't fit it right. B)

We eject the bonnet as we can't simulate it hitting the windscreen yet. It's our most elegant solution as leaving it on can cause clipping issues. Also, some people think it looks cool  ;)

Mechanics can underestimate how long repairs take so you might end up getting a penalty for leaving service late. 

You could see that he had crashed several times head on before that happened, that's why it came off. In real life it would more likely probably fly up in front of the windscreen rather than come off completely, but unfortunately dirt 4 is CLEARLY A POPCORN GAME FOR ARCADE PLAYERS!!!1!1!!!!!!!!

Alf72 said:

https://youtu.be/PLiEaOOdtG8

Congrats Codies - you killed GT Sport for me. Probably any other racing game :p
And I really glad that all footage I saw was from a standard PS4. I remember SLRE dev said it's impossible to get more than 30 fps on PS4 hardware, lol.

Goes to show that with some effort, you can get a beautiful looking game that runs great. Witcher 3 is another one that got it right. All racing games should target 60fps, 30fps on a racing sim is just nasty if you want to make those reactive movements

Yeah, I played forza horizon loads when it first came out, when I eventually put dirt rally back into my Xbox after a couple of weeks, I could not believe the difference between 30fps and 60! It was mad how much smoother dirt looked. I'd never really thought or cared about it before then as it's probably the first racing game I've had that runs that smoothly.

Also, the unveiling of project Scorpio earlier has got me very interested, although I have no idea what all those numbers mean (other than they they're higher than the standard Xbox and the PS4 pro)

I have a hard time playing any other racing game since I started playing DR, I can't wait for D4. 

KickUp said:

We eject the bonnet as we can't simulate it hitting the windscreen yet. It's our most elegant solution as leaving it on can cause clipping issues. Also, some people think it looks cool  ;)

Mechanics can underestimate how long repairs take so you might end up getting a penalty for leaving service late. 

The mechanics underestimating part sound great. The whole service/repair system is turning out pretty much all I could hope for :)

Additionally, a little more detail on Your Stage surfaces.

They can transition multiple variations on surface types, just not complete type changes, like gravel > tarmac etc.

And to clarify. We can do that but we choose not to because it is not commonplace in real rallying and because it is comparatively expensive so would limit the other things we could do with a location. 

KickUp said:

Damage seems to be similar to grid2 which is great since grid 2 had a nice damage model. Seems good for now unless you go full BeamnNG damage simulation which I don't think any manufacturer would allow or be supported by this gen hardware.The Damage engine has mostly been the same since early dirt days but it still beats the competition by miles. Any chance we will have an even better damage engine in maybe the next dirt or grid?

KickUp said:

There's also a small effect that plays when the bonnet goes flying :D

Bluestig said:

KickUp said:

Damage seems to be similar to grid2 which is great since grid 2 had a nice damage model. Seems good for now unless you go full BeamnNG damage simulation which I don't think any manufacturer would allow or be supported by this gen hardware.The Damage engine has mostly been the same since early dirt days but it still beats the competition by miles. Any chance we will have an even better damage engine in maybe the next dirt or grid?

We'd like to improve our damage at a fundamental level. 

KickUp said:

Additionally, a little more detail on Your Stage surfaces.

They can transition multiple variations on surface types, just not complete type changes, like gravel > tarmac etc.

And to clarify. We can do that but we choose not to because it is not commonplace in real rallying and because it is comparatively expensive so would limit the other things we could do with a location. 

At the risk of sounding sycophantic, I completely agree with this one; pretty much every real life stage is one way or another - at the most, there's a small tarmac section connecting the main gravel bit occasionally.

The only stage in WRC that's properly mixed surface is Terra Alta in Spain; would feel a bit gimmicky if 20% of the stages in game were this way!