Jump to content Jump to content
Message added by PJTierney

 

Recommended Posts



Rygar86 said:


Just reading the latest road book about the handling modes and it looks like Codies has everyone well covered. Between the customisable handling modes, the ability to make really short and simple stages in Your Stage, the career mode that has easy stages at the start and a proper Dirt school tutorial mode, it seems to be the beginners dream Rally game. Maybe this time no one will be complaining its too hard, which could mean a massive increase in participation, and I think the way Codies have approached this (and with all the other awesome aspects of the game being considered) Dirt 4 could be one of Codies biggest selling games, maybe even the best selling rally game ever?

I'll be on sim mode as usual with all assists off (except for Semi-Auto Gears :*) so nothing new here for me, but one thing I am looking forward to is those new Tarmac Physics! :smiley:





Well, we certainly hope that we've covered as close to everyone as we can get with the current options. I'm not a sim racer but I still managed to be half decent at Dirt Rally (yay for playing it every day for years...?) so I play Dirt 4 with the gamer handling, all assists off and the hardest difficulty and it's hella fun. More challenging than Dirt 3 (which I also did almost all the effects for :D) but not as brutal as Dirt Rally. Having said that, I don't tend to finish my races in a timely fashion; too busy rolling the car to make sure the effects look good (and they look better than Dirt Rally, that I can say) ;)

I've got some lovely images to post once the game is out and if there's interest I'll put a link here too :)
Link to post
Share on other sites

urgaffel said:




Rygar86 said:



Just reading the latest road book about the handling modes and it looks like Codies has everyone well covered. Between the customisable handling modes, the ability to make really short and simple stages in Your Stage, the career mode that has easy stages at the start and a proper Dirt school tutorial mode, it seems to be the beginners dream Rally game. Maybe this time no one will be complaining its too hard, which could mean a massive increase in participation, and I think the way Codies have approached this (and with all the other awesome aspects of the game being considered) Dirt 4 could be one of Codies biggest selling games, maybe even the best selling rally game ever?

I'll be on sim mode as usual with all assists off (except for Semi-Auto Gears :*) so nothing new here for me, but one thing I am looking forward to is those new Tarmac Physics! :smiley:







Well, we certainly hope that we've covered as close to everyone as we can get with the current options. I'm not a sim racer but I still managed to be half decent at Dirt Rally (yay for playing it every day for years...?) so I play Dirt 4 with the gamer handling, all assists off and the hardest difficulty and it's hella fun. More challenging than Dirt 3 (which I also did almost all the effects for :D) but not as brutal as Dirt Rally. Having said that, I don't tend to finish my races in a timely fashion; too busy rolling the car to make sure the effects look good (and they look better than Dirt Rally, that I can say) ;)

I've got some lovely images to post once the game is out and if there's interest I'll put a link here too :)


As long as they are not taking with the magic 'dev cam' or I WILL ....  nothing ... its pointless, your there, I'm here.. meh.. you'll just be dumb
Link to post
Share on other sites

bogani said:

Interesting! Paul answering questions about his virtual co-driving.

https://twitter.com/Kick_Up/status/860603600204169217


I heard him say this a couple of months back too, so it seems to me they have got this on their minds as a possible DLC if the game does really well and there is demand for his co-driving as an option.
Link to post
Share on other sites
kop9000 said:
And in this video https://youtube.com/watch?v=oJrE2NGsG5A is the race track also generated?



No, the only tracks to be generated will be the rally stages, all the Rally Cross and Landrush tracks are "hand made" by the development team.
Link to post
Share on other sites

Rygar86 said:

kop9000 said:
And in this video https://youtube.com/watch?v=oJrE2NGsG5A is the race track also generated?





No, the only tracks to be generated will be the rally stages, all the Rally Cross and Landrush tracks are "hand made" by the development team.


And it would be good if these racing tracks were also gen- erated
Link to post
Share on other sites

kop9000 said:



Rygar86 said:


kop9000 said:
And in this video https://youtube.com/watch?v=oJrE2NGsG5A is the race track also generated?







No, the only tracks to be generated will be the rally stages, all the Rally Cross and Landrush tracks are "hand made" by the development team.




And it would be good if these racing tracks were also gen- erated


It's also a real world race track. 

Random generated stages make sense, but when it comes to race tracks, is rather have the real things, or well made fakes like the landrush tracks
Link to post
Share on other sites
A big reason for generated rally stages was, of course, content. Other reason, in a way, is to keep the Co-driver's usefulness for longer. Rallycross and Land rush don't really have one, only Rally.

Would be interesting to see, though try and generate a proper joker lap for Rally cross.
Link to post
Share on other sites
Meh, generated circuits aren't the best idea. Circuits about all else require a lot of  design to make sure they have a good flow, allow overtaking opportunities, they are wide enough etc. On top of that they usually have a specific style to them, which makes them unique and I highly doubt an algorithm could do something like that.
Link to post
Share on other sites


Meh, generated circuits aren't the best idea. Circuits about all else require a lot of  design to make sure they have a good flow, allow overtaking opportunities, they are wide enough etc. On top of that they usually have a specific style to them, which makes them unique and I highly doubt an algorithm could do something like that.


And also, the whole point of generated stages was for them to not repeat, whereas in circuit racing it's the exact opposite - you learn the tracks and race countless laps in them
Link to post
Share on other sites

Areyouben said:

Well I would have said the same about rally stages a year ago and look at what the tech is capable of!


Last time I checked, you don't need roads wide enough to allow overtaking, nor tracks that have good enough flow to a point where they can be replayed thousands of times and more. You don't need to worry about choke points, or corners which could easily result in crashes due to two cars being close. When you start going into it... circuits have a lot more things to be checked.

Rally stages on the other hand... moderately flowing (even then not really), narrow, representing the style of the roads in a given location and... that's about it.
Let me put it this way. Rally stages are about being difficult to drive on, while circuits are about delivering the best possible racing environment.
Link to post
Share on other sites
Areyouben said:
Rygar86 said:

Interesting, is this something the devs have reported? I mean, generated circuits as a future possibilty?

I'm not sure if they said it's going to be in in the game after D4. They just said that they tried the tech on a landrush style track and it wasn't working as they wanted yet. 



Ahh I see, that's good to hear they have actually gone as far as trying it out for the game. Its a shame they didnt get it to work because I think it would be perfect for Landrush style circuits because they are much more simple than Rally Cross. Hopefully they can crack the formula in the future, even if they restricted the tech to the point where it could only create "mere" thousands of combinations rather that "near infinite", perhaps it would mean they could control the quality of generated outcomes better? And it would still be awesome to have that many compared to just 3 circuits.

In regards to Rally Cross, Im just hoping they end up releasing all 12 tracks eventually, be a real shame if this never eventuated. But if they do make them all, I think 12 tracks would keep us happy for a long time. The 3 from Dirt rally was a woefully low number in regards to maintaining long term playability, so having 5 tracks in Dirt 4 will really help a lot, but I think they will still need to make more in the near future if Im gonna stay as interested as I am in the Rally side.

The other thing that I think would be truly epic...Your Stage Hill Climb! Pikes Peak was awesome and its a shame it didnt make a return, but millions of hillclimb stages is a delicious prospect if you ask me. Heck, if they unlock some of the Your Stage sliders, like elevation controls, we could basically already make them now. With the bonus that we could run them in reverse and go down too! Something I wish you I could have done on Pikes Peak, as sacrilegious as that may sound to some  people.  :p 
Link to post
Share on other sites


Family Guy is for the people that know the original.

Also, horrendously off topic!


When did we start caring about being on topic in here? We've only had arguments about helicopters, water splashes, whining, thanking... a change of pace would be nice.
Link to post
Share on other sites

JZStudios said:





Family Guy is for the people that know the original.

Also, horrendously off topic!




When did we start caring about being on topic in here? We've only had arguments about helicopters, water splashes, whining, thanking... a change of pace would be nice.


The helicopters and the water splashes stemmed from a D4 discussion and relate to rallying in some way. Family Guy doesn't.
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...