Jump to content Jump to content
Message added by PJTierney

Drifting is one thing, drifting fast needs a handbrake.

Can anyone tell me why that dang thing costs $260!? :(
What I find odd is it doesn't look like a Big Brand commercial product.  I mean quality and functionality looks good.  But it looks like something I would build on my spare time.  The branding looks like an afterthought, that Sparco plate is like, "hey, I found a box of these plates, where can we put these".   Its not the fit and finish of a Fanatec product or even other TM products.

Yes the price is a little off too.  

Note: when it comes to Simpit items, outside of a wheel and gearbox I am all diy, I have access to CNC/Laser cutters, etc and have made many pieces for mine.  Its my hobby making and designing stuff and have pulled off some pretty realistic pieces.  So my eye always looks at an item and I think, could I make that?   For the most part I could with a lot of off the shelf parts.  I look at my Fanatec shifter, I cannot say that, same with my wheel, can't make that either.  

I do appreciate TM making the effort to expose more people to rally, and providing realistic functioning components to enhance that experience.  
gfRally said:
Drifting is one thing, drifting fast needs a handbrake.

Can anyone tell me why that dang thing costs $260!? :(
What I find odd is it doesn't look like a Big Brand commercial product.  I mean quality and functionality looks good.  But it looks like something I would build on my spare time.  The branding looks like an afterthought, that Sparco plate is like, "hey, I found a box of these plates, where can we put these".   Its not the fit and finish of a Fanatec product or even other TM products.

Yes the price is a little off too.  

Note: when it comes to Simpit items, outside of a wheel and gearbox I am all diy, I have access to CNC/Laser cutters, etc and have made many pieces for mine.  Its my hobby making and designing stuff and have pulled off some pretty realistic pieces.  So my eye always looks at an item and I think, could I make that?   For the most part I could with a lot of off the shelf parts.  I look at my Fanatec shifter, I cannot say that, same with my wheel, can't make that either.  

I do appreciate TM making the effort to expose more people to rally, and providing realistic functioning components to enhance that experience.  
Man, the Fanatec shifter is a freaking tank, and incredibly simply well designed.
$260 for a TM handbrake makes me laugh though, I bet it's hideous on the inside.
MrDeap said:
nbates66 said:
carpa said:
I see what you did there @KickUp ;)

https://twitter.com/TMThrustmaster/status/956521325761323009?s=17

Isn't the answer such that if you know how to drive you don't need a handbrake to drift? :smile:
It's fascinating. Where did you learn that?

From any proper drift videos: hydraulic handbrakes and big power has become a substitute for proper technique. Quite a few drift Championships now forbid the use of handbrakes to initiate. 
tbtstt said:
MrDeap said:
It's fascinating. Where did you learn that?

From any proper drift videos: hydraulic handbrakes and big power has become a substitute for proper technique. Quite a few drift Championships now forbid the use of handbrakes to initiate. 
I imagine these Drift championships aren't done with AWD vehicles on inconsistent road surfaces.