[Spoilers] The Grand Tour Megathread

I am so sorry to revive such an old topic, but the very first time I watched 'The Grand Tour Season 1 Episode 1: The Holy Trinity', I had a tear or two ,when I watched the intro for this episode and to the new programme. I loved Top Gear Series 1 - 22 (2002 - 2015) and when it ended after Jeremy Clarkson got sacked, then James May and Richard Hammond leaving soon out their own choice, I was very sad and upset. Now however, I don't care that hey are no longer on Top Gear, because The Grand Tour is so much better. They have  a lot more freedom with Amazon Prime, than with the BBC, who have a lot of restrictions.

Season 3 of The Grand Tour is coming up next month, in the new year. I am so looking forward to it. Already news of Season 4 has come up, that The Grand Tour will be having format change. I don't think this will be a bad thing; It could be better or worse. I hope it won't be worse, but we will have to see when Season 4 gets released. I should this will be in about year or something.

McStanley

McStanley said:
I am so sorry to revive such an old topic, but the very first time I watched 'The Grand Tour Season 1 Episode 1: The Holy Trinity', I had a tear or two ,when I watched the intro for this episode and to the new programme. I loved Top Gear Series 1 - 22 (2002 - 2015) and when it ended after Jeremy Clarkson got sacked, then James May and Richard Hammond leaving soon out their own choice, I was very sad and upset. Now however, I don't care that hey are no longer on Top Gear, because The Grand Tour is so much better. They have  a lot more freedom with Amazon Prime, than with the BBC, who have a lot of restrictions.

Season 3 of The Grand Tour is coming up next month, in the new year. I am so looking forward to it. Already news of Season 4 has come up, that The Grand Tour will be having format change. I don't think this will be a bad thing; It could be better or worse. I hope it won't be worse, but we will have to see when Season 4 gets released. I should this will be in about year or something.

McStanley
it's been confirmed that season 4 will only have Two 2 hour specials during the year and season 5 will have the same 2 hour specials.
  • Sad 1

Oh. I love the specials, but two specials isn't much really. Would rather have studio tent based episodes too. Clearly this shows that Jeremy, James and Richard are getting older and want to slow down.

McStanley

Season two was an improvement but, for the most part, I have been massively underwhelmed by The Grand Tour. The mid-seasons of Top Gear were absolutely superb and I was hoping that the bigger budget of TGT would allow them to fix the issues that crept into the latter seasons of TG and recapture that magic but, if anything, it's just exacerbated the problems. 

The GT40 feature (season 1) and 80's WRC feature (season 2) were outstanding though: would like to see more of that and less of the formulaic content. 
  • Like 1

Yes, I agree Season 2 was better than Season 1 of The Grand Tour, but I still think both are even better than Series 1 - 22 of Top Gear (2002 - 2015).

McStanley

TGT isn't even close in my opinion, but there is no accounting for taste! :smiley:
  • Disagree 1

I found season 2 boring and the only good episode was the mini special. A lot of people say the Jag episode was the best but it didn't really do anything for me.
  • Disagree 1

@tbtstt

The Grand Tour isn't close to what?

@couger1981

Season 2 was brilliant. I even prefer Season 2 to Season 1, of The Grand Tour. Yes, Episode 11: 'Feed the world' mini-special was amazing and is a very good laugh; But I enjoyed the other episodes also, including Episode 6: 'Jaaaaaaaags'. It even had a funny name! :D

McStanley

McStanley said:
@tbtstt

The Grand Tour isn't close to what?
TGT isn't even close to Top Gear in it's prime. Season 2 was an improvement, but the vast majority of it still feels (at least to me) like a rehash of the best moments of TG. For me the problem is that everything (especially the specials) feel so forced. TG/TGT has always been scripted, but it is painfully obvious in the TGT. 

The mid-seasons of TG were fantastic, much of the laughter seemed genuine and a lot of the content was fresh. I don't recall a segment of the features in either season of TGT that didn't include a joke we haven't heard before. 
  • Disagree 1

I don't feel that Top Gear of The Grand Tour is scripted. I enjoy them, a lot!

What about 'The Grand Tour Season 2 Episode 4: Unscripted'? This episode is titled 'Unscripted', so this episode cannot be scripted. I don't feel the episodes are scripted, but if they are, the episode titled 'Unscripted' cannot be called this, unless it is. I feel it was not scripted, as a lot things kept going wrong in that challenge.

McStanley

McStanley said:
I don't feel that Top Gear of The Grand Tour is scripted. I enjoy them, a lot!

What about 'The Grand Tour Season 2 Episode 4: Unscripted'? This episode is titled 'Unscripted', so this episode cannot be scripted. I don't feel the episodes are scripted, but if they are, the episode titled 'Unscripted' cannot be called this, unless it is. I feel it was not scripted, as a lot things kept going wrong in that challenge.

McStanley
The majority of features in both shows are/were scripted. Although I am sure some elements of their features were unscripted developments that occurred during filming, the basic premise of each trip has always been scripted. That has been well documented (the presenters joked about it more than once during the filming of TG) and, when you consider what they are doing, I think perfectly understandable.

That isn't to say that I haven't enjoyed the longer features in the past, but you don't need to be a genius to realise that some of their road trips have had at least some pre-planning and scripting applied. 
  • Like 1

Of course pre-planning in advanced is done. This is done for all TV programmes. They just arrive in the office one morning and decide wonder what they shall do; They plan in advanced, a road trip, or what ever.

McStanley

I couldn't more with you.

Also, when Jeremy driving the Lamborghini Urus trying to chase after Abbie Eaton in a Porsche 911 on a gentleman's private parts shaped race track in the snow, was also very funny!¬†ūü§£

McStanley

Fully agree with regards to the Jim Clark feature. If anything else even comes close to that segment is this series I'll be surprised. 

Obviously the series isn't finished yet, but for the third time in a row it looks like the high point of the season will be the history feature: wish they'd do more of that and less of the tired jokes. 

• Like 1

The only segment that was good was the tribute to Jim Clark, think they are running out of things to say and do during Conversation street.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, couger1981 said:

The only segment that was good was the tribute to Jim Clark, think they are running out of things to say and do during Conversation street.

Yeah, Conversation Street started off OK, but Hammonds rant about horses dragged on for FAR too long and wasn't funny in the slightest. 

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

I actually enjoy the jokes on The Grand Tour and I enjoy Conversation Street. I liked and found Richard's rant in Season 3 Episode 5: An Itchy Urus' Conversation Street funny.

Anyway, if you don't enjoy Conversation Street, then Season 3 will be the last of it, as from Season 4 of The Grand Tour, they will just produce specials. I am rather glad the guest segment (The Grand Tour Season 1 titled 'Celebrity Brain Crash'; Season 2 titled 'Celebrity Face Off') has gone, as I very rarely knew the guests and I never really found it interesting compared to what else is in the programme. I felt the same when the trio were on Top Gear, about Star in a Reasonably Priced Car.

McStanley

I am also glad they are back. I am looking forward to this Friday's release of Episode 6.

DiRTFanNo.1

*This comment may contain spoilers - Do not read this comment if you have not seen The Grand Tour Season 3 Episode 6: Chinese Food for Thought, but you intend to watch it.*

What did everyone think of this week's episode, released yesterday (Friday 15/02/2019), The Grand Tour Season 3 Episode 6: Chinese Food for Thought. I thoroughly enjoyed this episode a lot, which was focused around China in the whole episode. I did not know that Richard Hammond  has had another big crash; Yes, a third big one. I did know he had this one until I saw this episode.

DiRTFanNo.1

Edited by DiRTFanNo.1
Additional information added.

1 hour ago, DiRTFanNo.1 said:

*This comment may contain spoilers - Do not read this comment if you have not seen The Grand Tour Season 3 Episode 6: Chinese Food for Thought, but you intend to watch it.*

What did everyone think of this week's episode, released yesterday (Friday 15/02/2019), The Grand Tour Season 3 Episode 6: Chinese Food for Thought. I thoroughly enjoyed this episode a lot, which was focused around China in the whole episode. I did not know that Richard Hammond  has had another big crash; Yes, a third big one. I did know he had this one until I saw this episode.

DiRTFanNo.1

The crash was staged as the roll over was filmed earlier.

• Confused 1

How do you know that?

Richard said at the very end, before the credits, that he is ‚ÄúOK and uninsured‚ÄĚ, so this implies to me that he was in the car when it crashed and that it was not staged.

DiRTFanNo.1

On 2/17/2019 at 9:20 AM, DiRTFanNo.1 said:

How do you know that?

Richard said at the very end, before the credits, that he is ‚ÄúOK and uninsured‚ÄĚ, so this implies to me that he was in the car when it crashed and that it was not staged.

DiRTFanNo.1

I assume you mean the three wheeler crash? Yeah, that was a setup. As soon as he showed up in a three wheeler you knew it was going to get trashed! There is no way he was in that car when it went down the hill. 

(the crash also had no continuity: he rolled the car to the outside of a right hand corner, then it's tumbling down the inside of the road). 

Amusing but, after the Jim Clark segment in S3E5, it felt like a bit of a backwards step to me. 

• Like 2

Yes, I'm talking the red three wheeled car crash.

I had feeling it would get wrecked too, but I am unsure if it's real or not. I will take you word for it @tbtstt, but Richard has two very big crashes, so he could always have an third.

DiRTFanNo.1

5 minutes ago, DiRTFanNo.1 said:

Yes, I'm talking the red three wheeled car crash.

I had feeling it would get wrecked too, but I am unsure if it's real or not. I will take you word for it @tbtstt, but Richard has two very big crashes, so he could always have an third.

DiRTFanNo.1

Richard will be fine. I've had 2 girlfriends, but it seems as though I won't ever be getting a third...

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1