[Spoilers] The Grand Tour Megathread

What I did everyone think of this week's new episode, Episode 7: Well Aged Scotch, of The Grand Tour? So many episodes of Season 3 are my favourite and I struggling to put them in a list of what is my top episodes so far. For myself, they just keep getting better and better.

Also, I found Jeremy's reference to the Shackletons High Seat Chair's advert, that was featured in Top Gear Series 19 Episode 1, when Jeremy and Richard fitted the high seat chairs to their heavily modified Fiat Multipla, which they renamed as the Rover James. Jeremy mentioned that his Alfa Romeo "is very difficult to get in and out of, you know". I found this very funny.

DiRTFanNo.1

Posted (edited)

What did everyone think of this week's new episode, Episode 8: International Buffoons' Vacation, of The Grand Tour? I personally think this is the best special the trio have ever done, including all specials on Top Gear and on The Grand Tour.

DiRTFanNo.1

Edited by DiRTFanNo.1

7 hours ago, DiRTFanNo.1 said:

What did everyone think of this week's new episode, Episode 8: International Buffoons' Vacation, of The Grand Tour? I personally think this is the best special the trio have ever done, including all specials on Top Gear and on The Grand Tour.

DiRTFanNo.1

I think all specials from Top gear are miles better than the ones from TGT, Vietnam special and Burma special to name some. The RV special was ok but the only bits i liked was when they were at their overnight spots. Mike skinner was a great addition trying to make clarkson lose his mind because of what happened after Season 1.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I think the latest special was amazing and I think it’s my favourite.

I found it very funny Jeremy plonked a toilet slap bang in the middle of his RV, with a window so everyone in the entire world can watch him have a tommy tinkle and / or a dump! 😅 😂 🤣

I also feel that James should have closed the side of his RV up, so noting would fall out when he is in motion. To me, that’s the sort of thing I expect Jeremy to do, not James.

Richard’s RV, well that wasn’t an RV. It was a truck or lorry. No surprise that Richard did this, as we all know that he loves his American vehicles; Especially muscle cars.

I see. I didn’t realise that was Mike Skinner following them, The Grand Tour’s Season 1 test driver.

DiRTFanNo.1

Edited by DiRTFanNo.1
Faces and additional information added.

Posted (edited)

Warning! This post contains spoilers. Do not read if you have not watched the following episode, but you intend to.

What did everyone think of this week's new episode, Episode 9: Aston, Astronauts and Angelina's Children, of The Grand Tour? I personally found this episode enjoyable. I particularly liked Jeremy's silly review of the Citroen C3 Aircross. This review reminded me of other silly previous reviews of small cars, such as of the Renault Twingo and of the Ford Fiesta, when he was on Top Gear.

My two favourite two test's of the Citroen C3 Aircross that Jeremy preformed, was the baby children test and when Jeremy asked them there names, which were Cardboard, Satisfied Customer, Goat, Dislocated Elbow, CLICKS TONGUE (The baby child's name was not 'clicks tongue'. His name is sound of a clicking tongue, but this is a little tricking to write or type, hence why wrote 'clicks tongue' in capital letters and is in italics.) and Vauxhall. These names were very funny and I am still laughing about it now. Yes, this very silly and stupid; It's classically Jeremy Clarkson humour. I know for a fact that such silly names as these Jeremy would have thought of for the baby children. I like Jeremy's humour, which is why  found it funny. I think you have to like Jeremy as a person to understand him and to find him funny. I think I do this very well.

The other test I enjoyed was police car test with 'The French Police' graphics on the Citroen C3 Aircross, with a blue light on the roof; Jeremy as the French Police Officer, wearing a moustache. I also liked it before you he got the call of the chase that he was eating a very long, much longer than usual in length, baguette sandwich, which he took a bite of and through out of the window to, chase the baddies car. The driver was wearing a mask of Richard Hammond and the passenger was wearing a mask of James May.

DiRTFanNo.1

Edited by DiRTFanNo.1
Additional information added.

I caught up on S3E8 at the weekend. Must confess that, although I chuckled at a few moments, I was losing interest by the end of the episode. Lot of predictable "twists" and jokes.

As with previous seasons of The Grand Tour I am finding it more difficult to get enthusiastic about watching the latter episodes. As I said before I really wish they'd concentrate on the quality features rather recycling Top Gear jokes for these road trips. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, tbtstt said:

I caught up on S3E8 at the weekend. Must confess that, although I chuckled at a few moments, I was losing interest by the end of the episode. Lot of predictable "twists" and jokes.

As with previous seasons of The Grand Tour I am finding it more difficult to get enthusiastic about watching the latter episodes. As I said before I really wish they'd concentrate on the quality features rather recycling Top Gear jokes for these road trips. 

I agree.

It seems like the dynamic has changed; it used to be that humour was injected into the subject, where as now the humour is the subject. It has kinda ruined the fidelity of the concept that the Grand Tour is a car show.

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

5 minutes ago, Sammoo said:

I agree.

It seems like the dynamic has changed; it used to be that humour was injected into the subject, where as now the humour is the subject. It has kinda ruined the fidelity of the concept that the Grand Tour is a car show.

Yep, absolutely. I wonder if it is because TGT is being produced for a mass global audience the comedy side has been pushed to the fore (and is now completely unsubtle). 

I think it's a real shame when you consider the budget involved: TGT could have been so much more. 

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, tbtstt said:

Yep, absolutely. I wonder if it is because TGT is being produced for a mass global audience the comedy side has been pushed to the fore (and is now completely unsubtle). 

I think it's a real shame when you consider the budget involved: TGT could have been so much more. 

It could well be.

My suspicion is that Top Gear was so successful because of the inherent humour of the three presenters and the superb writing staff. I suspect, being a BBC production, the humour had to be restrained in preference for factual information due to the necessity for the BBC to present the show to their paymasters in a better light than 'just another entertainment show'; meaning that the production staff had to be creative.

I suspect that humour has come to the forefront in TGT in an effort to capture the essence of Top Gear and, now that the BBC restrictions have been removed, the writing staff given more freedom and the presenters a greater influence. 

Often the greatest of creative solutions are made under restrictions- use the engineering of F1 as an example- and maybe this might explain why TGT feels a little drab- too much freedom with little direction other than 'must be funny'. The irony of this is that it almost comes across as desperate and very obviously scripted. This passed episode, the funniest moment was the interactions with the audience during 'conversation street'. The humour there was genuine and it felt all the lighter for it.

Obviously this is just my personal opinion and is all pure speculation, but this theory makes sense in my head.

• Like 1

I disagree with most comments here; I’m sorry about this. I feel that The Grand Tour is fine as it is. I reckon that when Jeremy, Richard James were on Top Gear and if they didn’t have do many restrictions like they did have with the BBC, it would have as many jokes and as humour as The Grand Tour does. I was sad when they left Top Gear, but now I am glad that happened as The Grand Tour is so much better and is what Top Gear should have been all along.

DiRTFanNo.1

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DiRTFanNo.1 said:

I disagree with most comments here; I’m sorry about this. I feel that The Grand Tour is fine as it is. I reckon that when Jeremy, Richard James were on Top Gear and if they didn’t have do many restrictions like they did have with the BBC, it would have as many jokes and as humour as The Grand Tour does. I was sad when they left Top Gear, but now I am glad that happened as The Grand Tour is so much better and is what Top Gear should have been all along.

DiRTFanNo.1

You don't need to apologise for having an opinion, mate.

I will admit the TGT is good and I enjoy watching it, I just have noticed the points as mentioned above- I am certainly not trying to discourage others from watching, merely interjecting into a debate.

The worst thing that could have happened after Top Gear was that Clarkson, Hammond and May would have disappeared, never to be heard from again. As such TGT is a good replacement. I just miss Top Gear and the inevitable comparisons draw my favour towards the old show.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, DiRTFanNo.1 said:

The Grand Tour is so much better and is what Top Gear should have been all along.

DiRTFanNo.1

MASSIVELY disagree with this. The Top Gear format was tiring in the latter (post-20) seasons and I think TGT was the chance for the trio to do something fresh...

...instead the budget seems to have made the flaws of late Top Gear even more pronounced. 

If you go back and watch the mid-seasons of Clarkson Top Gear so many of the laughs seemed genuine (or perhaps the trio were more convincing actors then!) where as virtually every joke in the TGT you can see a coming and/or is massively signposted. The was a certain degree of subtlety to TG, but that is completely absent from TGT. Most critically Top Gear was still a car show: TGT is moving further and further away from that. 

I approached TGT with an open mind (and will do again for season 4),  but TG in it's prime was absolutely unmissable TV and TGT doesn't even come close to that. 

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

MASSIVELY disagree with this. The Top Gear format was tiring in the latter (post-20) seasons and I think TGT was the chance for the trio to do something fresh...

...instead the budget seems to have made the flaws of late Top Gear even more pronounced. 

If you go back and watch the mid-seasons of Clarkson Top Gear so many of the laughs seemed genuine (or perhaps the trio were more convincing actors then!) where as virtually every joke in the TGT you can see a coming and/or is massively signposted. The was a certain degree of subtlety to TG, but that is completely absent from TGT. Most critically Top Gear was still a car show: TGT is moving further and further away from that. 

I approached TGT with an open mind (and will do again for season 4),  but TG in it's prime was absolutely unmissable TV and TGT doesn't even come close to that. 

Could not have said that better myself. You just eloquently summed up all of my waffle; this bit...

where as virtually every joke in the TGT you can see a coming and/or is massively signposted. The was a certain degree of subtlety to TG, but that is completely absent from TGT. Most critically Top Gear was still a car show: TGT is moving further and further away from that. 

• Haha 1

The last few series' of Top Gear, with Jeremy, Richard and James as the presenters were my favourite and best series' of Top Gear. These are Series 19 - 22.

DiRTFanNo.1

I thought this episode was one of the worst right down there with the Pickup episode, even the Apollo 11 tribute couldn't save it. Having Conversation street at the start is what killed the episode because they used all their jokes straight away to get the audience fired up and they were probably bored by the time Jeremy did the Citroen segment.

And @DiRTFanNo.1 I'm guessing you started watching Top gear from season 19 onwards as most would say those seasons sucked with a couple good specials and it was when it was getting heavily scripted. Seasons 3-18 were great though.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

@couger1981, I have seen all episodes of Top Gear, of the current format, but my favourite is Series 19 - 22. I have seen some of the current episodes from 2016, after Jeremy, Richard and James left, but they are not that great really. There’s episodes I enjoy and still do of Top Gear before Series 19, but Series 19 - 22 are my favourite, of Top Gear.

DiRTFanNo.1

Edited by DiRTFanNo.1
Additional infomation added.

For me, series 8 - 15 have to be the absolute greatest, between 2006 - 2010.

This is a list of my absolute favourite challenges:
- Convertible people carrier
- BBC Three Counties radio
- Amphibious cars
- Van man challenge
- Stretch limos
- Peel P50 around the BBC offices
- British Leyland
- Britcar 24h
- Police cars
- Top Gear UK v Germany (and Australia)
- Lorry challenge
- Car for 17 year olds
- VW Scirocco adverts
- Electric car challenge
- Art gallery takeover
- Building motorhomes

Actually, that's a really long list... but it shows how amazing it was! And all those challenges were done in that 4 year time frame!

• Agree 2

The 24 hour race is still by far and away my favourite TG segment. They look like genuine tears at the end of the race. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

@MBKF1 and @tbtstt, I agree with both of you. What about the Ambulance Challenge, from Series 22, from 2015? This is also a favourite of mine.

DiRTFanNo.1

20 hours ago, MBKF1 said:

For me, series 8 - 15 have to be the absolute greatest, between 2006 - 2010.

This is a list of my absolute favourite challenges:
- Convertible people carrier
- BBC Three Counties radio
- Amphibious cars
- Van man challenge
- Stretch limos
- Peel P50 around the BBC offices
- British Leyland
- Britcar 24h
- Police cars
- Top Gear UK v Germany (and Australia)
- Lorry challenge
- Car for 17 year olds
- VW Scirocco adverts
- Electric car challenge
- Art gallery takeover
- Building motorhomes

Actually, that's a really long list... but it shows how amazing it was! And all those challenges were done in that 4 year time frame!

Don't forget the Hovervan 😉

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

Don’t forget the old people’s car, the Rover James from Series 19 Episode 1,  from 2013.

DiRTFanNo.1

Edited by DiRTFanNo.1

1 hour ago, DiRTFanNo.1 said:

Don’t forget the old people’s car, the Rover James from Series 19 Episode 1,  from 2013.

DiRTFanNo.1

But they're so easy to get in and out of you know!

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Yes, the chairs are so easy to get in and out of, you know! 😅 😂

DiRTFanNo.1

Edited by DiRTFanNo.1
Typo deletion.
  • Like 1

I swear iv'e seen the Hot hatch episode before but just can't remember where 😕 lol

• Confused 1