[Spoilers] The Grand Tour Megathread

I guess you talking about Top Gear, @couger1981; From 2014, Series 21, where each buy an old classic hot hatch and put them through a series challenges? One of the challengers was with the TGPD (Top Gear Police Department). This is an favourite of mine.

DiRTFanNo.1

Posted (edited)

Yes they also did a segment in Top gear on how many pictures of their cars they could get and tally it up at the end of the show, much like the views on Instagram and Youtube.

Since the BBC lifted the restrictions on what TGT can and can't do they seem to be rehashing old Top gear segments and challenges.

Edited by couger1981
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Warning! This post contains spoilers. Do not read if you have not watched the following episode, but you intend to.

What did everyone think of this week's new episode, Episode 10: The Youth Vote, of The Grand Tour? I found this episode enjoyable. My favourite segments were the hot hatch comparison road test, of the Volkswagen Polo GTi, Ford Fiesta ST and the Toyota Yaris GRMN. I found it very funny when Jeremy and James were trying to pronounce "GRMN", as an word, when it's supposed to be spoken as the letters spelled out. Jeremy's version was the best.

Also, I found Jeremy's YouTube video the best, which was the Belgian Traffic Warden character, called 'David Soufflé'. I think this could catch on as an TV series; I would watch it! 😂

The only video I watched was James' video, of himself unboxing the Toyota Yaris GRMN and I did wonder why he uploaded it to his personal YouTube Channel. I did wonder if it had something to do with The Grand Tour or not and it did.

DiRTFanNo.1

Edited by DiRTFanNo.1
Additional information added.

I forgot to mention that I found it funny, when James' food blender exploded in the Toyota Yaris GRMN, resulting in James not being able to see where he is going. Who in their right mind, blends food whilst they are driving?! 😂

DiRTFanNo.1

I have to say I struggled to make it through the episode, I did find a couple of the jokes funny, but for the most part I found it cringe worthy rather than amusing... 

...off topic, but there was a new upload to the Top Gear You Tube channel earlier this week:

They need more Chris Harris features like this on the Top Gear show: bring back proper car features! 

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Happened to watch that video earlier in the week, and you're absolutely right, this is what Top Gear really needs. Superb video.

• Like 2

On 3/22/2019 at 2:16 PM, MBKF1 said:

Happened to watch that video earlier in the week, and you're absolutely right, this is what Top Gear really needs. Superb video.

Yeah, would like to see more clips like this in the "main" TG show. 

Chris Harris is too cool: you wouldn't see any of the TGT trio pushing an LMP car like this! 

• Like 1

Warning! This post contains spoilers. Do not read if you have not watched the following episode, but you intend to.

What did everyone think of this week's new episode, Episode 11: Sea to Unsalty Sea? I personally found this 'mini special' rather entertaining. Not sure about it being a mini special though. I would say it was more of a road trip, but no matter.

I like it when James arrived in the BMW 8 Series and Jeremy and Richard started saying that it brown (Which it was) and James said the colour is 'Sunburst Orange'. This is a very good reference to The Grand Tour Season 1 Episode 3: Opera, Art and Donuts, but the roles of each other's comment between Jeremy and James is different in each episode. I wish more of the comment about calling the BMW 8 Series brown, continued, but sadly it didn't.

I also enjoyed the track times. Each presenter drinking 3 pints of water each, waiting sat down for 20 minutes and then see who drives around the track the fastest whilst needing a tommy tinkle was very funny! James got back to the pit stop first, so he got to tinkle first and Richard arrived soon after dying to have a tommy tinkle, also. Not long later, Jeremy comes in all calm and very clearly not needing a tommy tinkle, telling Richard the result times, which he was interested in, apart from having a tommy tinkle. We soon discover that Jeremy had "solved the problem", as he said and the camera moves down to show his jeans, which are all wet and it's becomes very clear that Jeremy had wet himself! 🤣*

I also enjoyed the race after Abbie in the Renault 19. James is correct; When it comes to the public roads, all cars are the same speed. If cars are not doing the same speed, this is when crashes generally and usually happens.

* I was vey much laughing, rolling on the floor (Nearly), when I saw this scene.

DiRTFanNo.1

Posted (edited)

Was looking forward to this episode but the episode bombed as they spent most of the road trip talking inside their cars or at a race track. They didn't show much of the actual road trip and its scenery.

The bit i liked was the Abbie segment against the Bentley and Aston and we learn't that Abbie has a sleeve tattoo.

Edited by couger1981
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)

@couger1981, that is very true. Not a lot of the road trip itself was shown. Also, I was surprised to see that Abbie has a tattoo. I think this the first time we have seen her, out of her racing suit.

I dislike tattoos; Nasty things.

DiRTFanNo.1

Edited by DiRTFanNo.1
Additional information added and typo fix.

Just watched Episode 12 of Season 3: two superb features and one **** one! 

The opening Lancia segment was cool (though I am probably biased because I rather like the Integrale) and the 917 feature was brilliant (I am definitely biased there as the 917K is one of my all time favourite cars!). Sadly the "suitcase" segment was utterly predictable and painfully scripted.

E12 was, to me, the best and worst of The Grand Tour in one episode: excellent when it was being "grown up" and tired when it was trying to be funny. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, tbtstt said:

Just watched Episode 12 of Season 3: two superb features and one **** one! 

The opening Lancia segment was cool (though I am probably biased because I rather like the Integrale) and the 917 feature was brilliant (I am definitely biased there as the 917K is one of my all time favourite cars!). Sadly the "suitcase" segment was utterly predictable and painfully scripted.

E12 was, to me, the best and worst of The Grand Tour in one episode: excellent when it was being "grown up" and tired when it was trying to be funny. 

Absolutely spot on in your assessment there, mate.  

I have been looking forward to the next episode since the series announcement- building a car to travel across a desert. I hope they handle it in the way you just eloquently summarised 'Grown up'. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Sammoo said:

Absolutely spot on in your assessment there, mate.  

I have been looking forward to the next episode since the series announcement- building a car to travel across a desert. I hope they handle it in the way you just eloquently summarised 'Grown up'. 

Yeah. Thing is, the "grown up" segments can still have amusing anecdotes thrown in, it's when they try too hard to be funny that the whole thing just seems stale. 

The 917 segment is, for me, one of the best things they have done in all three series. 

• Like 1