Sign in to follow this  

Replay Cameras - Next DiRT Game

I have been watching a lot of rally videos lately and something that many of you know about me is I am big on sound.  I really wish that there are more camera angles, so we could see/hear camera shots like this:

http://youtu.be/9Th3DGqLFfI

This shows off the sound, and really makes it exciting to watch.

or this is probably the best raw amateur video I have seen yet:

http://youtu.be/fb7X7B4oOUQ

Another view that is missing for long hold shots is helicopter angles like this:

http://youtu.be/I9R-VnA8DAo

Some of the camera angles are similar to DiRT 1.  But the best part about if for me, is the hold-pan-hold on the video, just like if you where a spectator.  The waiting part is sometimes the best, hearing the car coming, then into view and exit as the sound fades into the distance.  I think these camera positions/angles should be in the next DiRT game.  The MTV/Music Video cut, bad live video feed distortion, and the quick close ups  and cuts.  Its great for something 10 years ago, but anymore you can make this yourself if you really want to.  What we don't have currently is RAW-like video with long cuts.  

What does anyone else think?

No cameras flying all over the car. Realistic angles only, as simple as that!

I agree completely with you. The spectators cameras at the side of the road gives you all the speed and the feeling of rally. The unrealistic camera views in the DiRT 3 replays are, well, too much unrealistic.

In the next DiRT game replay I'd like to see spectators views, elicopters views and maybe drone views like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLu750aZlhs

I do motorsport photography and I agree that is one of the best parts, hearing the cars coming through the forest. The anti-lag and backfires are so awesome.

pupazzo said:
I agree completely with you. The spectators cameras at the side of the road gives you all the speed and the feeling of rally. The unrealistic camera views in the DiRT 3 replays are, well, too much unrealistic.

In the next DiRT game replay I'd like to see spectators views, elicopters views and maybe drone views like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLu750aZlhs

@pupazzo‌ 

Yes that video, professionally produced is so raw in how it shows rally.  those overhead shots on a turn are just incredible to look at.

I'm a big fan of the big wide drone shots... trying to find an example but I can't find any. There's loads in Easier Said Than Done

Azoresst said:

@justbiglee‌ Like this one? 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfRonH5tN7w

Seems like a cool video, just couldn't get past the raunchy dub step... 

Am I right in saying the unrealistic cameras are used due to limitations about what can be rendered on screen? If so then with new gen hardware it should be much easier to get those awesome heli shots in!

@KickUp‌ @JonTucker‌ @justbiglee‌ @whoEverIsInArmsReachOfTheGuyThatDoesCameraControlinDiRT :smile: 

Grab whomever, put toothpicks in his eyes, and have him watch this continually:

http://youtu.be/9P1ZiDZx8_w?list=UUzN1JVlKJBldCb-a2cWw74w

(talking to who the guy with toothpicks in his eyes):
This is how cameras should be set up in the game, NO MORE wheel shots, suspension=ok but no more, its getting old!  See the long pans with the cars coming into the scene and then moving out into the trees?  See the flat wide shots with the car passing by and the dust rolling into the camera, AFTER the car passes.  I want DRAMA, not a commercial or MTV video or any typical sports advertisement.  I wan't to see what I just accomplished with drama!  Make me feel like I was apart of this, instead of a 
cycle of the same views over and over for split seconds.  

I imagine the tracks/stages have trigger points for certain camera views, could we have unique and random views or something that is a little less predictable?  

I love seeing the car from behind at the stage start, the dirt/gravel kicking up towards the camera.  

Dirt1 had a 'gopro' type angle over a crest that was really cool and unique where the car jumped over the camera.

Maybe just maybe you could give the user some degree of control of camera placement?  I know there is the typical F-Key that allows you to toggle views, but why not multiple stationary views?  Maybe the camera holds position and doesn't pan?  Maybe there could be a dolly view? (film guys know what I mean)  Maybe time laps of some sort.  

I just have a hard time thinking that camera angles and views could not be something improved upon and implimented.

Look I mentioned this above, but Driving the car is the point of the game, watching the replay is the reward.

Now, if there is resistance to all this:  Then please subject yourself to the 3:29-4:10 of the above video, over and over... nuttin' like man butt... lol

I think it would satisfy a lot if you can somehow drop a camera on the track or stage where ever we want would be perfect or even just be able to jump to a one of the pre positioned cameras and stay there, it would make for some great videos in the end.  

@Rallycameraman funny last post :)

1) We still think we need this!  Its an improvement over DiRT3 but to customize the positions or hold them without switching.  
2) No Slowmo feature?  
3) No saving replays?  Most everyone is doing this now, need to catch up on this feature.

I personally think there's still too many on car camera shots, I like the incar shots, particularly with the co-driver voice, but there's too many exterior shots and for too long. I still think there's plenty of scope to add realistic TV style shots to the replays. I do like the stuff from the drones and helicopter too. 

I agree with the issue of cameras, also I see interesting that you can save for another time, but also in online races would make more fun to watch.
Sorry for my English, I do not handle the language very well and I do using Google Translator

The replays are looking good in DiRT rally now. I think they did pay attention here. Using realistic angles really does make the replay's that much more enjoyable. 

gfRally said:
Driving the car is the point of the game, watching the replay is the reward.
Give that man a cigar, or a round of applause, or both
@SkiddyMcCrash  thanks, but just give me my demands or else! Lol

I really like the new drone wide shot camera.
If this is being used in majority of rally, I'm all for it.
If the cars are increasing getting better with new car technology, then why not embrace the new technology of the media coverage/replays?

I agree with saving replays in our HD.  Then can only bring more exposure to the game, and perhaps discovery of some gamers creativity with editing.