Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2016 Formula 1 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix | THE DECIDER

I don't think I've seen a race quite like that, where the leader is going as slow as possible to win the championship! There's been criticism in the press about Hamilton's tactics, but what else is he supposed to do? He's fighting for a championship, he's driven to win, and he will do anything he can to help himself above the team's interests. I don't blame him in the slightest.

I also don't blame Mercedes for telling him to speed up either, because at the same time I can totally see their point as they are trying to win the race. Mercedes were right to tell him to speed up, and Hamilton was right to ignore those instructions.

Rosberg has driven a clean and tidy season all year long, so he has done all he needed to do to take the championship, and I'm happy for him and his family. It's the first time I've seen him look genuinely ecstatic, probably since his first ever race win!

The fact Hamilton ended up only 5 points behind Rosberg in the end shows how well Hamilton raced too despite all the problems. He really was unlucky to be the one who ended up with all the mechanical issues, but the fact he still won more races and got more poles than Rosberg shows his true speed and who was the faster driver when they were both in equal performing machinery.

To be honest, I'm amazed Rosberg won this championship. After being beaten so comprehensively last year, I thought he was finished and he'd never win one. So to come back and win one, just amazing.

Can't wait for 2017 though. Please, please, please, Red Bull, give Ricciardo and Verstappen a championship challenging car. And McLaren, I hope they can break into the top 4 teams, we need Alonso back near the front.

People complaining about Hamilton's unsporting tactics are weak-minded fools who are ruining the sport.

Good to see another Champion and good to see both Red bull's getting stronger, bring on 2017 with the new cars and regs :)

Jiggy said:
People complaining about Hamilton's unsporting tactics are weak-minded fools who are ruining the sport.
Totally agree. Was surprised to see the likes of Nigel Mansell being so unhappy about it.

I have the complete opposite view of the whole thing tbh. I don't say this lightly - that drive from Hamilton yesterday was absolutely masterful. Crawling around the 3rd sector only around 0.5 ahead of ROS, and then bolting in the 1st sector to get just over a one second gap to keep him out of DRS. Lap after lap, perfectly judged. The only time he slipped up was the last lap, when Rosberg got in to his DRS by a couple of hundredths, and unfortunatly for Lewis that was the lap when Vettel was at his closest. It was a weird situation but was entertaining to watch. 

I'm happy for Nico though, for various reasons. Always love to see a brand new champion crowned, been a while since the last one (2010). I gave him quite a hammering for letting Lewis past in Monaco, and the accident in Austria, but I'm glad he's proved me wrong on not having the mentality to win the title. When the pressure was at its highest he was faultless yesterday, whether in attack or defense. He's not better than Lewis, but it doesn't matter now. He's managed to get a world title and whatever happens in his career from now on, he has that forever. 

As a season, it's not been spectacular, but the title fight has been the best in this era of Mercedes dominance. Excited for next season to see the new cars, but traditionally big rule changes widen the gaps between teams in the first year of their existence so I'm also cautious on getting my hopes up too much for a multi team battle for the championship. I guess as long as one team doesn't win 19 races it's an improvement. 

Mexicola said:
Did @GoldenColt fall into a coma?                  
I wish.

......................................................................................