Sign in to follow this  

F1 2014 Game Q&A Thread

Hi everyone, I'm creating this thread so we can have a place where you can ask questions, and other members, and maybe even the community managers and developers, can answer them. 

When GRID Autosport was announced, they had something like this and it was really helpful, and Loore (the GRID community manager) was very helpful in answering as many questions as possible. Hatta said a few weeks back that he is going to be as open as he can, so let's find out as much as we can about this game, haha!

The reason for this thread is so members don't have to create many threads on similar topics with similar questions where they have actually been answered before. I've been reading the forums and I've still got many little questions that I want answering, and I'm sure other members have some too. It would be great if members could just visit this thread and they might have a better idea on what they want to know more about.

I'm going to update this first post with as many questions and answers as possible, including quotes from various blog posts too. I'll get started with some tomorrow as it's pretty late now and I can't really be bothered :p

Get asking and get replying!

Will FP1 and FP2 be in the game?
No, sorry, it will be one 60 minute practice session

Where is the Martini branding and the red stripe on the Williams?
Due to circumstances outside of Codemasters' control, they had to use a modified livery for the game. It is similar to what Williams Martini Racing have to do when they race in countries that prohibit the advertising of alcohol. The PEGI license that Codemasters have meant they had to remove all alcohol advertising. They are exploring ways to address this issue for future releases.

Is there classic content in F1 2014?
No, there isn't. As the 2014 season has seen massive changes, it is giving a new experience in the game, and as Codemasters are working on the next-gen game, they're taking a break from classic content this year. But Codemasters are still really interested in classic content and they will explore it later in the series.

Are there any special editions of the game this year?
No, there are no special editions of F1 2014, just one standard edition.

What platforms is F1 2014 being released on?
F1 2014 is being released on PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and PC on 17th October 2014 (21st October in NA).

How are you refining career mode?
You can still play through the full Formula 1 season, or you can choose to race in shorter seasons, including 7 and 12 race options.

Can you choose the races you compete in if you choose the 7 and 12 race options?
No, the races are pre-determined by the game.

Are you expanding the scenario mode?
Yes, there is a range of scenarios based on real-world challenges and moments from recent history.

How have you improved the handling for this year?
There is refined handling, especially on a pad, and the enhanced game physics combined with this delivers a more authentic and accessible driving experience for all players.

Is there still a Young Driver Test?
No, this has gone for this year and it has been replaced with a new driver evaluation system.

What is the new driver evaluation system?
Basically, you're launched straight into a one lap race after loading up F1 2014 for the first time. After completing this race, the game suggests an appropriate difficulty setting, dependant on your performance. You can be placed on a very easy difficulty level which is good for newcomers, and you can also be placed on the game's hardest setting, with all the driving aids turned off, simulating the technical challenges of modern F1. You can still customise the settings exactly how you want, making the game just right for you.

How are the new turbo-charged F1 cars different to previous years?
The huge amounts of torque are unleashed through acceleration, and the turbochargers require greater throttle control than before. There is also a deeper growl to the engines in F1 2014. Players will also experience a dramatic effect in handling, with this very advanced racing cars.

Does that mean ERS is also in the game?
Yes, it does. ERS (Electronic Recovery System) has 10x the capacity of last season's KERS (Kinetic Energy Recovery System) system. ERS generates an extra 160bhp for around 33 seconds a lap, which is delivered to drivers instantly, which opens up more overtaking opportunities.

Are the effects of ERS delivered automatically in F1 2014?
Yes, they are. In previous games you had to press a button to activate KERS, but in F1 2014 there is no 'boost button' or 'overtake button', the power is applied automatically.

Are the steering wheels seen in the trailer final?
They are in the latest build and there is no plan to change them.

Is there going to be a demo for F1 2014?
No, there is currently no demo planned.

Is the building on the exit of the Monaco tunnel in this year?
Yes, the circuit has been updated much more this year.

Is there going to be a helmet camera in the game?
No, but there is still the usual cockpit view.

Can you have your own personal driver number in F1 2014?
Unfortunately not, but lets hope we can for future games.

Will there be a formation lap in the game?
No, there will not be formation laps in F1 2014.

Is fuel management going to play a part in F1 2014?
Yes, you will have to constantly manage fuel whilst racing, for example, through lifting and coasting. There isn't an option to turn fuel saving on and off either, so you will have to think about fuel much more in F1 2014.

Will the new cars have 8 gears as in real life?
They sure do, and they'll have lots of torque too.

As there is no more Young Driver Test, how do we choose our starting team for career mode?
You can now choose from any team you like.

Is the mid-session save feature still in F1 2014?
Of course, you can still save your progress through any part of the session.

How big are the online lobbies in F1 2014?
They are the same as the last few games, 16 players online.

Is there any in-race commentary?
No, just your race engineer, the car, the track and you.

Are you able to have online practice sessions?
No, you aren't able to practice online. You can only take part in qualifying and the race. However, it will probably be in the next-gen F1 game.

Can you still play in a Co-op Championship?
Yes, you can still take part in a Co-op Championship on F1 2014 with a friend of your choice.

Will FP1 and FP2 be in the game again this year? Apart from anything else doing R&D in FP3 makes no sense.

Araqiel said:

Will FP1 and FP2 be in the game again this year? Apart from anything else doing R&D in FP3 makes no sense.

Sadly no, it is a bit annoying isnt it. Check this for proof https://mobile.twitter.com/LukeSpringUK/status/495226437293850624

Araqiel said:

Sadly no, it is a bit annoying isnt it. Check this for proof https://mobile.twitter.com/LukeSpringUK/status/495226437293850624

Sigh... oh well.

Will we be able to design our own helmets with official licensed sponsors stickers and logos?

Will there be more variety of audio real names to choose from? *cough*Dale*cough*

I have updated the first post with as many details as I could find, including answers from the Codies Blog, Formula 1 Game Twitter, Luke Spring, Lee Mather, and some of the forums. If you know any more details for definite then please post it here and I'll get them in!

I have some questions of my own that I would like answering if possible.

Are the offset T-cams similar to as seen in real life?

What steering wheels will be compatible with F1 2014?

Are you returning to the 'Live the Life' game menus as seen in F1 2010 and F1 2011?

Have all the tracks been updated as they are in real life, such as Monaco kerbs, track surfaces, lines, and also advertising, sausage kerbs and run offs at Canada, etc?

will people using the pc version still be able to get on the console networks and cheat like beep? personally i think the console and pc game should be different to stop pc gamers entering the console network and use mods galore. what if anything is being done about this?

Again, I have updated the first post with more answers to questions. 
I have another question, why has a formation lap not been included in F1 2014, despite a seemingly large request by the community?

will people using the pc version still be able to get on the console networks and cheat like beep? personally i think the console and pc game should be different to stop pc gamers entering the console network and use mods galore. what if anything is being done about this?

I thought they were seperate

No, you aren't able to practice online. You can only take part in qualifying and the race. However, it will probably be in the next-gen F1 game.

This is pretty lame.

Why wait until next-gen to include a basic feature like that?

GT5/GT6 are on PS3, in those games one can go to the track and practice while waiting for people to join the lobby. That's a feature that should be in every racing game.

Will F1 2014 include the new penalty system where a driver gets penalty points for breaking the rules or will there just the general penalties such as drive-through, +10 sec and +20 sec which won't have any affect during the season?

FS7 said:

This is pretty lame.

Why wait until next-gen to include a basic feature like that?

Because however "basic" a feature might seem, it still requires a lot of coding and testing that CM don't want to do on what is clearly the smallest update to last year's game they can get away with.

@Scottishwildcat; That unfortunately is the complete truth, all features so far that the community wants have been met with a resounding no. No FP1/FP2, no online practice, no YDT, no formation lap, no option to turn fuel sim off (just like last year we couldn't turn tyre sim off, which wrecked the game imho).

So the only addition is a driver evaluation test, which is little more then a quick race where it will base the driver skill on the laptimes set, slightly better configuration for those who drive with joypad, and being able to choose all teams at the start of career.

So far I'm not impressed. I definitely won't be pre-ordering this one.

No personalised race numbers? What a joke..

I guess it goes without saying there wont be an official FOM hud therefore completely invalidating my question...

And honestly, what in satans name is with that Williams livery? Its not even close to the non alcohol RACING scheme run by the team in Bahrain

I don't think the steering-wheels are final, however i think there was confusion because someone said the wheels would be final.

https://twitter.com/T4RG4/status/495671466063847425

mmpaw37 said:

I don't think the steering-wheels are final, however i think there was confusion because someone said the wheels would be final.

https://twitter.com/T4RG4/status/495671466063847425

I surely hope not, as I don't think I could put myself through another F1 2010!. Now i'm not saying the game as a whole was wrong, just the wheels.

In regards to the wheels being final though, I did tweet @Formula1Game and they replied by saying they were final. I'm not entirely sure whats going on to be honest but, I hope Luke(Hatta) or Steve can cast some light on the subject.

If they don't create the wheels exact to their real life counterparts then I don't think I will be purchasing this title: I'm not having another F1 2010!

If they made the wheels right for 2011/12/13 then there's no excuse!

I'm guessing here though that @Formula1Game is just some marketing guy and that we're best taking our hints direct from @T4RG4 and @Hatta seeing as they're more in the know given they'll have direct access to the info.

What's wrong with you ppl? Complaining about steering wheels being not accurate? DAFUQ?? Sure, I also want it to be as detailed as possible, but if this is not the case, it isn't a game breaker for me. These are just fucking steering wheels you won't even notice, as you are paying attention to the track. 

Sure I'd like it if they're all like in RL, but I realy don't care if they're not. (OK, I care, but not so much that I wouldn't buy it if they're inaccurate). The Williams livery solution is far worse than some wheels.

mmpaw37 said:
ocesc68 said:

What's wrong with you ppl? Complaining about steering wheels being not accurate? DAFUQ?? Sure, I also want it to be as detailed as possible, but if this is not the case, it isn't a game breaker for me. These are just fucking steering wheels you won't even notice, as you are paying attention to the track. 

Maybe not for you...

This is supposed to be F1 2014, Therefore it should represent the 2014 season cars as they are in real life, they have done it for the past 3 years so it should be so this year.

However trivial you may feel this is, that is your opinion of which you are entitled, but all I want is for the game to be as accurate as it can be, and if that means doing whatever I need to do in order to try and get this done then that is what I will do!.

What would you rather have then...?  F1 2014 with the correct wheels or without? I'm just trying to make the game better, that's all!.

In the end CM will just do whatever THEY want to do and won't give a flying fuck about what we write in this forum and what we would like to see improved in the next game....

I would think the steering wheels would have to be correct for licensing purposes.  CM has said in other threads they are not allowed to change the vehicles, tracks, etc because of licensing.  The exception would be alchohol advertisement on the Williams issue as its advertisement is banned in several countries.

Teams that have opted to run with the new (larger) dynamic LED display module will have such a wheel in-game. However they won’t differ from team to team like the older wheels. Teams that have opted to run with the traditional LED display module will have the same reflected in-game with the relevant dial and button labels changed as per real life (KERS etc).

You’ll be able to get a better look at the in-game wheels throughout our hotlaps. We hope to release our first video in the next couple weeks.