F1 2021 | Arrives July 16 | First Look Here Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Input Override Setting

In almost all Codemasters Racing games we have a hardware_settings_config.xml file and in that file is the line:

<input device_type="auto" />

I have always forced this to "wheel" with my joystick because it responds better than it does when the game thinks it's a "pad". But, in DiRT Showdown, Grid 2 and Grid Autosport, forcing it to "wheel" results in total loss of steering. These same games also show my Turn Left/Turn Right as "LS" in game instead of the actual axis name like older games do. I assume this has something to do with the trend of assuming everyone either uses a gamepad or wheel these days and nothing else and the "LS" means Left Stick. These same games also do the exact same thing to a friend of mine who has a Thomas-Superwheel. It's an actual wheel that these games see incorrectly as a gamepad and he can't force it to wheel either.

@Loore I am grateful for the addition of advanced controller options to Grid Autosport in the last patch as that has made the game playable now for some of us. But is there any chance this input override setting could be patched to function again? That would change things from playable to actually being competitive.

Bob

I have been using x360ce and it is a workaround, but it's not ideal. It adds a bit of input lag and is extremely sensitive with most of the open wheel cars. I've been using it for games that only work with Xbox controllers since 2008 and had pretty good success with most of them, but they are usually very much arcade games and I can get away with it. Grid Autosport requires precision if you want to be highly competitive.