Sign in to follow this  

Two Critical F1 2014 Questions to Prevent Cheating

1. Will changes be made to ensure PC drivers can no longer run 3rd party programs which allow cheating in online races?

2. Will the hidden Steering Assist in the Driving Controls menu be moved to the Assists menu, so it can be banned like all the other assists?  This provides such a ridiculously huge benefit that many drivers consider it a cheat, and even though it’s designed for gamepad drivers, it can be manipulated to be used by wheel drivers as well.

Both of these are critical points that need attention, and they should be so simple to fix as well.

Agreed and agreed!!  I think these are pretty common concerns as well with people publicly making fun of the steering assists on YouTube with "pad hacks", and people with not realistic times getting posted online, and the fact you can easily look online and PAY for one of these other hacks.....

i would also like to add this, pc gamers should not be allowed to access console networks and use mods/hacks. the pc game should be fundamentally different to stop this as its so unfair to console gamers who cant use mods/hacks

Don't think you can ever really stop people hacking the game offline, but it should be possible to lock things down when you play online, regardless of the platform.  The gamepad steering assist business is just obvious, it should be an assist, like TC and ABS, call it steering assist and have it default to on when you use a gamepad.  That or just allow online sessions to not allow certain input device types, the same way you can disallow assists.

MUZZARIOL said:
Almost a month, and still no word from Codemasters....
Theyre already pre occupied on @NellyFurtado‌'s thread
YOU beat me to it I  was going to reply with the same answer as  YOU  hehehe ...

MUZZARIOL said:

Lol! gotta love how codemasters reply to praise but are blind when it comes to problems/questions on there games. That post was funny and a little creepy at the same time.

vtidixon said:
MUZZARIOL said:

Lol! gotta love how codemasters reply to praise but are blind when it comes to problems/questions on there games. That post was funny and a little creepy at the same time.
WHATS the beating @NellyFurtado‌  gets a free copy of  F1 2014 and a next gen console aswell  from CM  ...

Guess the ppl that say they listen to there customers are the ones always giving praise to them?

I'm curious to see what they've done about corner cutting. Wonder if it's a variation on the blip-blipping when you go wide.

1. Will changes be made to ensure PC drivers can no longer run 3rd party programs which allow cheating in online races?

2. Will the hidden Steering Assist in the Driving Controls menu be moved to the Assists menu, so it can be banned like all the other assists?  This provides such a ridiculously huge benefit that many drivers consider it a cheat, and even though it’s designed for gamepad drivers, it can be manipulated to be used by wheel drivers as well.

1. I've sent a bunch of info on this to the dev team. They have made some changes to F1 2014 that makes it harder for these types of  programmes to operate. 

2. This option has not been moved to the traditional assists menu. I've commented on this here: http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/269/one-of-the-most-important-changes-needed-for-online-leagues-in-f1-2014/p1

Thanks for the reply, Luke.  

Good news on #1.  Hopefully "harder" equates to impossible.

Not so good on #2.  As you'll see from the thread we linked, we had the fastest steering wheel drivers try using the steering assist, and they gained over 1 second per lap on all circuits!  Since we have a No-Assists division, we were forced to have all drivers run a program (developed by one of our drivers) which detected whether anyone was using steering assist (incidentally, it also checked if anyone was cheating and we caught someone - nice to have the only guaranteed cheat free PC league out there!).  Are we really going to have to run this all season long again and look at all the data from it, just to make sure no one is using steering assist?  The integrity of our league is very important to us.

You did comment on it in that thread, but honestly, that wasn't a satisfactory answer.  How is an assist that gives an advantage of over 1 second per lap something that is satisfactory?  I already provided a solution - steering assist off and Steering Linearity at 100% - that makes it completely driveable without the game allowing you take corners perfectly every single time.  Really disappointed that we have to deal with this again.

I just cannot see any reason why this couldn't be moved to the Assist menu.

Agreed, great news that something has been changed with #1, so at a minimum the 2013 apps won't just work on 2014, and they only have 6 months to fix them up.  Hopefully in 2015 it will actually be impossible.

@Hatta : For the steering assist tho, I understand your point in the other thread, yes it is needed to help people with pad's enjoy the game, totally agree with that, and it needs to stay in the game, but it shouldn't be hidden like it is now.  I also don't see how you think it's not an assist?  Ontop of that, what if gamepad drivers actually want to have full steering control?  Most of the guys we spoke to didn't even realize they had the assist turned on, until we show'd them how to turn it off.  We even had one racer that was using a wheel, but because of how he set it up it had the same assist on and didn't realize, he just thought the game had terrible steering input.  The way it works now is counter intuitive and can be just as negative of an experience as it is a positive one for other drivers.

There needs to be some sort of a change to make what it does more apparent and obvious, and also there needs to be a way to disable it in online play as it does give a significant advantage.  The simplest way to do that would be to put it in the assists menu, but maybe you guys can come up with something better?

I can't remember the last time I was this happy with Codemasters!!!!!!!!!

The previously hidden steering assist is now un-hidden, and they've moved it to the Assists menu where it should be!!!!!!

Time stamp 18:40.  Thanks to BossW for finding this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXcg04v6kTY#t=1121

Hatta, why didn't you tell us about this!?!?!  My faith is restored!

1) I've yet to see a single developer that actually gives a fuck about online cheating on PC. This is why threads like this are always pointless, sadly.

PC no longer is the competitve place to go and try yourself online against others, precisely due of how cheating usually reaches nerdgasmic levels of true superior retardation.

I've been a PC player myself all my life and I'm already sick of this. PC users cheating online never get real punishment, and this indeed kills most tittles.

I'd really wish ps4 got dedicated servers for games like this. Without the obvious exception for RTS, shooters, etc that are always better played on PC, I feel this gen will be great on PS4, racing tittles included, even If it is for the stupid cheating on PC only.

2) As for the hidding wheel assist for pad players..., man, seriously. You can't drive properly with the override option and you know this very well. Pad users need to stand a chance too. This ain't shit Gran Turismo, although I agree there should be an option too If you are freaky enough to make pad players suffer hell on your leagues(without reason tbh), and not stand a chance against wheelers, which indeed is what you must be looking for

hola said:

2) As for the hidding wheel assist for pad players..., man, seriously. You can't drive properly with the override option and you know this very well. 
Not true at all.  In our 4 Division championship, we've had a Division 1 gamepad driver race with out the Steering Assist.  You just have to set steering linearity to 100%.   I've tried it myself. 

Anyway, hopefully Codemasters have implemented this properly, and their option in the Assist menu works as it should.  

ok I've just tried the override option (again), but this time setting steering linearity to 100%, and It simply makes no difference. It is still undriveable. No way man. Pad users need normal controls to stand a chance against wheelers, and even then we all know very well wheelers will still win, as It could not be any other way.

I think you take pad steering assist too serious for what It actually is: and that is, simply speaking,  the only way to make the game playable for pad users.

Confirmed by @Hatta‌ (Luke Spring) that ateering assist can be turned on & off in the assist menu and also be banned in online sessions in the final game!
https://twitter.com/lukespringuk/status/517257745134014464

hola said:
ok I've just tried the override option (again), but this time setting steering linearity to 100%, and It simply makes no difference. It is still undriveable. No way man. Pad users need normal controls to stand a chance against wheelers, and even then we all know very well wheelers will still win, as It could not be any other way.

I think you take pad steering assist too serious for what It actually is: and that is, simply speaking,  the only way to make the game playable for pad users.
You're just speaking from personal experience, and are not speaking for the masses.  I think you're used to digital (on/off) control inputs, and haven't adapted to finite movements of fingers - that what is actually required from a driving game unless you're on the Super Nintendo.  Like I said, we had a driver do this in D1 with no issues.  I tried it with a 360 Controller with no issues (and I'm a wheel driver).

We also had a pad driver win our highest division...... unfortunately, this was with the steering assist, so his championship is quite a controversial topic, especially when he had a wheel and chose not to use it because he was slower with it, and we had another driver sell his wheel and use a controller for the same reason.  But initial point was, you don't need a steering assist to have a chance against wheel drivers.  Like anything you just need practice.