Sign in to follow this  

GRID 1 Legendary Edition

As said into the old thread, grid1 is the real grid fun, the game that make the grid community, our social dynamics and friendship.
And make thousand of people play daily into custom lobby, and old legends with something like 10'000wins and over 2000hours of playing.
Infinite challenge and fun. 

Can be a meanwhile marketing plan for codemasters, remake the old grid1 under new graphics, and enable DLC policy on a long tested game.
until that we can wait for grid3, and this can push sales of the company easy. (3months of work for a total conversion).
Maybe this summer we can be back with touring cars on our favourite tracks... or keep fight with a fail full of feature lack... the grid2.

So is easy:

-Remake Grid1 with new graphics.
-Enable the online as the old one (the only one with a good text chat and spectate mode)
-Make a lot of money.

Do it before assetto.corsa and project.cars or be ready to gift that market slice to them.

ahahha ftashstealth you are still insist for a remake of Grid 1 , i would like to see it too but i am afraid thsi is not gonna happen...
:(

I'm not sure the 3 months of work is an accurate representation, I'm sure our Producers would likely mutter some unpleasantries if I gave them the time scale. Most of it would have to be rebuilt from scratch. Games of 2008 look very old now.

We love Race Driver: GRID, as a studio we're incredibly proud of it...but...at this moment in time you're more likely to get a new game with all the things you want rather than a remake. 

Forward thinking and all that, we'll remember our past, remember what made games like the first GRID so special and put those ingrediants into new games.

... I'm not sure if CM know exactly all this ingredients.
As old gamers we know grid1 dynamics better than most of grid department developers, and almost all developers of the grid1 team are elsewhere.
So, or you all start to read carefully this board and write on white paper everything... or the risk to see a grid3 "adventures version" is high probable. 
Just avoid mistakes of grid2 is not enough.
Grid2 lack of cockpit view(just an example), turn back that features into the grid3 is not enough... (u know what i mean..).
All must start with grid1 and improve all what we already had. Thats will make grid3 great.
And remember this question:
Where is the fun into grid1 ? As developer i'm able to replicate that fun ?
So, start to make a list of this ingredients, this is the start point.

What was your favourite bit of GRID 1, Flash? Not in terms of features you'd like to see back, but what part of it did you find most fun?

Original GRID was before my start at Codemasters, so I came to know it as a fan long before analysing it as a developer. I used to spend ages driving the Formula Jedis (I think they were 'F1000s' or something) in the lowest tier open wheel events. I know a lot of people say the touring cars were the best things to drive in GRID, but I preferred the grip and balance of the open wheel stuff.

Online gaming experience example, the fun is made by people, and the game was good and balanced enough to allow us a high challenge gamestyle.
So you can be a fast racer and find challenge with fast people, and keep lap times under control. 
This is possible with the right car handling, with slipstream to catch people on straight, with the control of the car.
Sim style is too demanding and keep busy to control brake or gas (like assist off), with assist on the fun is race bump to bump. And most of the times overtakes and win-play was inside 0.5sec or less.
This mean high control of the car, so lacetti or bmw was total different choice. Or viper vs mustang.
So grid is not arcade, and is not sim. Is grid. Is a kind of fun you cannot find into shift2 or other titles.

plus was nothing dead times and social component was great, 
example:
Join a lobby ? Start spectate and text chat stream with others, say hello, watch the race, no dead time to wait.
I remember was fun enough join a lobby and start talk and watch the race.

the list is long btw...

The social bit was awesome and what made me go online and get into Teamspeak, clans, groups etc etc.
The racing was close and intense + the socializing was excellent so in total it was a good reason to stay racing for 2-4 hours every night for 2-3 years. 

agree with mcross, and i think social was great for 2 simple reason:
-text chat stream as universal communication
-spectate mode
- 1 list of all custom session, with all the world inside. No split people like grid2 (and download settings by steam). The community of racers must be all under your eyes.

Grid2 is mad jungle of people screaming around, because of that mute-all the chat is a must.
Once the game is mute u can only chat with steam chat, so just with friends account or groups.
So most of the time you are into the lobby alone watch nicks pop up for minutes, without chat, without spectate.

So to improve that social is enough add a search button for racers into the main lobby, a few stuff o help people find each other to race together. 

As old gamers we know grid1 dynamics better than most of grid department developers, and almost all developers of the grid1 team are elsewhere.
So, or you all start to read carefully this board and write on white paper everything... or the risk to see a grid3 "adventures version" is high probable. 
Grid2 lack of cockpit view(just an example), turn back that features into the grid3 is not enough... (u know what i mean..).
All must start with grid1 and improve all what we already had. Thats will make grid3 great.

I never thought i would agree with Flash.

Most important question is if Codies in their current state (resource wise) really have the knowledge what it takes to make a game that can equal or top original Grid or even Toca games?

I never thought i would agree with Flash.

Most important question is if Codies in their current state (resource wise) really have the knowledge what it takes to make a game that can equal or top original Grid or even Toca games?

+1 for that Kubz. Where is the world heading? There used to be a time when I thought that would possibly only happen just before the apocalypse.

@ Britpoint:

That small open wheel car in GRID is an FJ1000.

@ Flash:

As an offline single player, the elements that most impressed me about GRID when I started playing in 2008 were the handling and the strange but very cool post processing - the haze and dust/smoke in the air and the depth that gave to the long range views.

Plus the range of cars and tracks in the game.  Diverse, never sure what was coming next.  Learning new racing modes.

Then, I was/am very impressed with GRID's persistent and accumulative damage.  Also the ability to dial in assists and difficulty, from very easy (too easy) to very difficult (too hard).  The extremes guarantee that no matter how lazy I am I will be able to have a rewarding race; and that I will always find a challenge in GRID no matter how ambitious and good I get.  I still play and that's still true today.

The monetization scheme in GRID is near perfect.  The team mate feature is a lot of fun, and adds to the challenge when your team mate becomes your greatest rival.  Some team mates are too lame, some are too good, and a lot are in between.

As to tuning and painting, some disagree but I like the simplicity of no tuning and no upgrading other than buying a different car.  I like being able to play a career with none of that dinking around pretending like I understand automotive engineering.  Jump in the car and go.  "It's all about the race!"

The handling physics in GRID are not realistic, but they are immersive, plausible and persuasive.  I think they are perfect for a serious non-sim racing game.  To me, GRID alone still occupies and fills that niche in the racing realism spectrum. 

There's more, but that's it for now off the top of my head.

(Where's my avatar?)

Frank

agree with you Frank, 
single player can be nice, the best fun is online gameplay, why not tried yet some good internet service provider ?

My internet provider sucks.  Besides, I can convince myself I'm a decent race driver as long as I stay offline.  I saw Zorada's pre-G2 release GRID vid (Spa) he posted on the old forum.  Remember that?  Whoosh.  My ego can't handle much of that.

Frank

RubyRuby said:
My internet provider sucks.  Besides, I can convince myself I'm a decent race driver as long as I stay offline.  I saw Zorada's pre-G2 release GRID vid (Spa) he posted on the old forum.  Remember that?  Whoosh.  My ego can't handle much of that.

Frank
Hello Frank.

On the oher hand you dont need to forget that the best way to improve yourself on the track is by playing against better racers.  
And nothing works better for improvement then a bruised ego.   :D

And it is more fun when youre playing online and  on TS with a couple of nutcases.    :D
Talking about that I havent seen wolf here yet.   rofl

@RubyRuby

Good post (what you liked about GRID). I agree it's unique in the racing genre.

"The handling physics in GRID are not realistic, but they are immersive, plausible and persuasive."

Well put. Very well put! I find that slippery, rally-like pseudo-realistic handling to be extremely addictive. GRID is how old now? And I still play it (while GRID 2 gathers metaphorical dust in my Steam library). Simply taking a car out on a deserted track is fun in GRID thanks to the marriage of that bonkers handling model to bumpy, hilly tracks.

Britpoint said:
What was your favourite bit of GRID 1, Flash? Not in terms of features you'd like to see back, but what part of it did you find most fun?

Original GRID was before my start at Codemasters, so I came to know it as a fan long before analysing it as a developer. I used to spend ages driving the Formula Jedis (I think they were 'F1000s' or something) in the lowest tier open wheel events. I know a lot of people say the touring cars were the best things to drive in GRID, but I preferred the grip and balance of the open wheel stuff.
My biggest kudos to @Britpoint for a question like this in this forum.
I can't remember I've seen anyone else (with the skills to actually form important stuff like car handling) asking this simple question ever:
"What did you like about the old game?"
How can anyone making software not keep asking the users again and again what they want?

Good answer from Flash as well.
Unfortunaltely I didn't drive GRID earlier, but I did a lot of TOCA (2 ) PC,
which lead to LAN-parties and also some strong "real life" frindship with people that I still have as very good friends.
The social bit of a game is not a small part..

GRID 1 Legendary Edition is my favorite GRID Game, so far.  Not enamoured of the name, though.  It will have an install disc for NA and a demo, of course.  Where do I pre-order?

Frank
PC/keyboard, offline single player.

RubyRuby said:
@ Britpoint:

That small open wheel car in GRID is an FJ1000.

@ Flash:

As an offline single player, the elements that most impressed me about GRID when I started playing in 2008 were the handling and the strange but very cool post processing - the haze and dust/smoke in the air and the depth that gave to the long range views.

Plus the range of cars and tracks in the game.  Diverse, never sure what was coming next.  Learning new racing modes.

Then, I was/am very impressed with GRID's persistent and accumulative damage.  Also the ability to dial in assists and difficulty, from very easy (too easy) to very difficult (too hard).  The extremes guarantee that no matter how lazy I am I will be able to have a rewarding race; and that I will always find a challenge in GRID no matter how ambitious and good I get.  I still play and that's still true today.

The monetization scheme in GRID is near perfect.  The team mate feature is a lot of fun, and adds to the challenge when your team mate becomes your greatest rival.  Some team mates are too lame, some are too good, and a lot are in between.

As to tuning and painting, some disagree but I like the simplicity of no tuning and no upgrading other than buying a different car.  I like being able to play a career with none of that dinking around pretending like I understand automotive engineering.  Jump in the car and go.  "It's all about the race!"

The handling physics in GRID are not realistic, but they are immersive, plausible and persuasive.  I think they are perfect for a serious non-sim racing game.  To me, GRID alone still occupies and fills that niche in the racing realism spectrum. 

There's more, but that's it for now off the top of my head.

(Where's my avatar?)

Frank
Still play grid a lot. Nothing wrong with the graphics. Myabe some improvements could be made. The small amount of time I spend on Grid 2 I think maybe I like Grid graphics better, but maybe I don't spend enough time in grid 2.

For the offline player it is more difficult to think about the features addition. I think maybe more tracks/cars/disciplines is really the only way to go. Stuff like smoke modelling and splashing through puddles will get better on the new console format because of the extra power.

For me cm have the same problem that I have. Where do you pour your dev effort. The problem is these days much of the game is all about multiplayer. I have the same. A product that has hardware and software. I can spend loads of time improving the hardware, but the customer doesn't see that/its good for what it does. The customer sees the software more. I think it is the same for games development. You can spend hours on the engine, but that is behind the scenes. Once the graphics reach a certain level, it becomes more about things like online features. I think CM have done well on thge graphics, but not so well on the multiplayer experience. This could be make or break for the new console format games, as if so much dev effort goes into the graphics and none on improving the multiplayer the games may look gorgeous but lack long play times because the multiplayer/online stuff isn't up to scratch.

Sometimes I wonder why there isn't a common online engine. Maybe there is. But for racing I would have thought there is a class definition and every type (GA, Grid 2, F1, Dirt) is a realtively similar subclass of that. More effort then goes into the common online format and you can afford to implement more stuff as it applies to everything.

I've tried to post this twice so sorry if it rambles. online is bad.

If there's any game you should ask CM to remake, it should be TOCA Race Driver 3.

That game is still nice to play, but I do think it would benefit with modern tweaks, and without rally this time.

just up for this ideas, remake the old good grid Cm !
race driver grid LEGENDARY EDITION

everything the same as race driver grid, with next gen graphics and you can add new car and tracks with dlc.
total easy conversion !