DIRT 5 - Chat about the game and get support here. Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

DiRT 3 GFWL Problems FAQ

Hey, I was wondering if it is even being worked on or not. Reason why is, I own two copies of this spectacular game, a boxed version that I bought when it came out and a steam version I bought on a steam summer sale a year or two back, now I bought this second copy because GFWL decided to just forget I had an account (it's like they deleted it but have no record of it), and since I had already played the game alot at that point and had obviously used the key, even when I created a new account it wouldn't work anymore because the key had already been used on an apparantly no longer existant account (dafuq GFWL). I was pretty happy about my new copy of dirt 3, I could play with all my friends and the steam stuff is pretty cool, I was happy... until GFWL decided to do it again! Now my new account had been "deleted" again and puff there goes another dirt 3 key on wich I spent good money on...

I was really looking forward to your port to the steamworks because it would allow me to play my favourite game again, guess that's not going to happen tho, since you guys haven't been giving any information about it at all :(

Not totally sure if this is related to GFWL, but does anyone have a clue as to why is my D3 profile always corrupted after a period of not playing. Any hint, tip or help will be much appreciated :)

Hi guys, I don't realy know if this is the right place to ask but a few years ago i bought dirt 2 , and now i wanted to play it again, but i have a new pc and i absolutly can't remember my windows live account. Mainly because i never use it since GFWL suck's . Is there any way to retrieve your GFWL account when you still have your cd key but can't remember any of you login information? I just wanna play single player but i'd like to save my progress..  Greetings W

My cousin had the same issue with DiRT 3, we contacted the xbox Live support, but they basically made us guess our account, which didn't work out.

When the steamworks port is done, where will you post? Here, or will you make a new announcement?

My friends keep asking me when they will be able to buy the DLC I've got. 
I keep reading hints to DiRT 4, but in the mean time DiRT 3 is a broken game.

Edit: Don't know what got into me here. I'll stop asking, we'll hear when it's done :)

but in the mean time DiRT 3 is a broken game.
Come on fella that's not fair the game still works and runs. As for the Steam fix it's still being worked on, its turned out to be a much bigger job than expected. Will update when the works done.

Sorry Lee that was a bit harsher than it was meant to be, it's just that whenever I wan't to play online with friends, half of the time we can't connect because of network errors. But this is probably an issue from GFWL. 
Anyway thanks for letting us know it's still being worked on, keep up the good work, can't wait till it's finished :)

Its funny, the only reason people are pestering for the removal of GFWL is because DiRT3 is such a good game! Lets face it, if it wasn't, people just wouldn't care.

But they do, because you've made too good of a game for it to be paired with such an abysmal service. I'd take that as a complement if I were Codemasters :p

Hi, I just bought your Dirt 3 via Steam and can’t play it. I’m really angry right now. Steam Is Running on Window 8 machine. I tried every “trick” on the web, but it’s not working. How long do we have to wait for a fix like that? Can’t be that difficult to do so. You had almost one year time for it.

I get that it’s harder than you thought but that’s no excuse. We the customers payed for this game. There is no refund for us, or a present at the end of the waiting time.

I don’t get why companys don’t get the simple fact, that it’s not a good thing if the pirates can play your game without problems, but the honest customers can’t….

Oh and one last thing. I think if you really would care about us, you would order steam to put a warning on the games description, or even stop selling it IF ITS NOT WORKING!

Hi, I just bought your Dirt 3 via Steam and can’t play it. I’m really angry right now. Steam Is Running on Window 8 machine. I tried every “trick” on the web, but it’s not working. How long do we have to wait for a fix like that? Can’t be that difficult to do so. You had almost one year time for it.

I get that it’s harder than you thought but that’s no excuse. We the customers payed for this game. There is no refund for us, or a present at the end of the waiting time.

I don’t get why companys don’t get the simple fact, that it’s not a good thing if the pirates can play your game without problems, but the honest customers can’t….

Oh and one last thing. I think if you really would care about us, you would order steam to put a warning on the games description, or even stop selling it IF ITS NOT WORKING!

It's working fine for me. I'm running Windows 8.1, bought Dirt 3 on Steam some time ago. Try to reinstall GFWL - http://www.xbox.com/en-US/LIVE/PC/DownloadClient That used to work for me

Didzis said:It's working fine for me. I'm running Windows 8.1, bought Dirt 3 on Steam some time ago. Try to reinstall GFWL - http://www.xbox.com/en-US/LIVE/PC/DownloadClient That used to work for me

Thanks for your tip, but I already tried this. What’s funny is, that gfwl is able to login to my account without any problems. My Xbox can do it and other games are able too. Only Dirt 3 is not able to do so.

Just wanted to tell you how much I disagree with you when you say this game is not broken.  It's on Steam, but still wants to use GFWL.  This would be a total amateurish annoyance, IF IT WOULD WORK.  There's no way to get this shit (GFWL) to work on Windows 8.1.  This game is dead, take it off Steam until you can make it work.  I don't want to hear about any workaround or download, when I buy something on Steam, I want to click PLAY and see the game load, nothing less, nothing more.  If you can't use steam cloud, don't sell it there.  More importantly, once you realize a game is broken and unplayable, take it off the market you scrubs.

I have to agree with Episode666... you shouldn't sell something that is broken. If I purchase something, I expect it to work. True, it was a great game - but that does not overcome the fact that it is entirely unplayable (I haven't gotten any of the 'fixes' to work). It may also be more to blame GFWL, but that was a risk ya'll took as developers - not us customers.

I'm not angry, I just think it unfortunate that this snafu is unnecessarily tarnishing the codemasters and dirt brands. A steamworks version was announced almost a year ago, and no progress seems to be made. It is strange to place such a low-priority on a remedy for such a high-priced and well-regarded game. Perhaps a progress update besides "we're working on it" would help assuage fears that this project won't become vaporware.

I allways play DIRT 3, few weaks ago I tried to play again and GFWLive gave me an error. I tried to login in microsoft account and its showing me a message that someone tried to stole my account and i need to validate. I did the forms to get a code but in the final they are sent the code to a email that is not exists since 2012. So, i cant put another email or nothing, im always stuck and cant receive the code. I already talked with microsoft and they allways saying that is the only way to validate the account. I explain that i only need the account because my dirt 3 serial is associated with this account and i cant play the game without it. I explain that i dont have that email anymore and i can enter in the microsoft account with 2 emails, my actual email and my old one, but in the final the code is going to the old one.
My question is, how logical is having a game in STEAM and cant play it because the game is associated with another identity (microsoft) that is not giving me the chance to prof that is my account ?

You people really should check your Steam account discussions. This topic is about to reach 1100 comments and there is no feedback. Please be advised, this will not go unpunished. You seem "willing and able" if you're working on new games but older software has little to nothing support. I am past the point of being sympathetic. We're approaching 1 year of waiting and guessing. Time to answer or produce results. I'll be waiting for a response on Steam.

So? What happend with the update? Or you guys think that we will forget about it...?! Atleast stop lying and tell is the truth! I think that this is the least we deserve as a loyal customers!!!

dePinion said:
You people really should check your Steam account discussions. This topic is about to reach 1100 comments and there is no feedback. Please be advised, this will not go unpunished. You seem "willing and able" if you're working on new games but older software has little to nothing support. I am past the point of being sympathetic. We're approaching 1 year of waiting and guessing. Time to answer or produce results. I'll be waiting for a response on Steam.
This. Exactly.

What is going on with this Codemasters? I love all rally and have hours in this game, bought all content, and can't play. When is this going to be corrected?  I've played since launch. 

I bought Dirt3 on steam and was happy until it tried forcing me to install GFWL, even more disappointed when that wouldn't even work correctly, and now I can only play without saving game progress. Yes I could probably fix it, but who wants the floater that is GFWL on their system anyway...

Things looked more promising when I googled and found this forum with promises of it being patched out soon, but that was months ago and still there is no fix.

Please pull your finger out and deliver what was promised, or at least have the decency to tell us you never will so the game can be deleted and a replacement found - you can be sure it wont be a Codemasters one!

So, I can't play dirt 2 or 3 and I'm getting pretty annoyed.  Especially about Dirt 2.  Tried manually installing GFWL and it just throws up an error about how, after I press the launch button, The client must point to the same Windows Live ID environment as the Windows Live ID Sigh-in Assistant service. 

How do I fix this?  Run as administrator? 

P.S.  Fix your games. 

P.S.S.  Kick the clown in the shin that decided GFWL was a good idea.