Sign in to follow this  

Pick a team....any team!!

Araqiel said:
mike96 said:
Araqiel said:

Araqiel said:

Where was it revealed that you could start with any team?

Steve Hood's twitter (T4RG4)

Maybe I'm being stupid,  but I don't see anything of the sort there. I assume it's from after the reveal. Could you link to the tweet for me?

https://twitter.com/T4RG4/status/496604519388938241

Thanks (and thanks hammymansell as well) - I didn't click 'Tweets and Replies' so I didn't see that. Not a Twitter user, see. Great news though, time to start thinking about a decision I guess... McLaren is my first thought, seeing as they had a rookie this year.

You're welcome mate!!!! I'll be going for Sauber or Torro Rosso methinks!! :wink: 

It's not that hard, if you don't like the idea then sign with Caterham and work your way up. You're not being forced to join the front runners. I'm excited about it. I can start my career with Williams or Ferrari. That's great.

The whole point of this new option is so people don't get bored of playing the game because they are in a bad car they don't want to drive in. I know a lot of people like this feature and for the people that don't, join a lower team like Marussia, Caterham or Sauber and work your way up. What other people do in their career mode doesn't/shouldn't concern you.

The whole point of this new option is so people don't get bored of playing the game because they are in a bad car they don't want to drive in. I know a lot of people like this feature and for the people that don't, join a lower team like Marussia, Caterham or Sauber and work your way up. What other people do in their career mode doesn't/shouldn't concern you.

Absolutely. More choice can never be a bad thing. It's a lot easier to impose a limit on yourself than it is to get around one that's built into the game.

Does anyone know if you can choose which driver you replace? In other words, can you choose your team mate?

TL77 said:

Does anyone know if you can choose which driver you replace? In other words, can you choose your team mate?

don't think so. I think you replace the second driver so if you join red bull you replace ricciardo, Mercedes rosberg, Ferrari raikkonen etc

TL77 said:

If not, then Codemasters have Taken what was initially a good decision and got it horribly horribly wrong. But there are plenty of people willing to jump to their defence citing "licensing issues" or whatever other PR dept politically correct environmentally friendly response would suffice

I wasn't aware a new driver could just come into a team and demand which team mate they want.

"Hello Christian, I'm just joining Red Bull this season as your second driver but let me get one thing straight. I will have Daniel Ricciardo as my team mate and I will instead replace your four times world champion. Cheers."

I wasn't aware a new driver could just come into a team and demand which team mate they want.

"Hello Christian, I'm just joining Red Bull this season as your second driver but let me get one thing straight. I will have Daniel Ricciardo as my team mate and I will instead replace your four times world champion. Cheers."

I bet they wish they could sometimes though

I will try to win the Championship with Massa :)

(If Williams will be competetive enough in F1 2014... cmon CM!)

No other aspect of Codefarcesters interpretation of Formula 1 is realistic so I dont see how this should be any different. If you want to take the moral high ground and drive as Vettels team mate thats your choice, the point is people should be free to make that choice.

and if your names Pastor Maldonado and your paying to the tune of £60m worth of Venezuelan oil money annually, and have friends in high places such as hugo chavez and officials from corrupt south american communist governments im fair sure you could make any demands you want without even having to pull a knife or gun.

Maybe not during the first season but in the later seasons. I can already imagine how annoying it will be to be at Ferrari and have Räikkönen as a team mate who will probably struggle to even get a point.

TL77 said:

Maybe not during the first season but in the later seasons. I can already imagine how annoying it will be to be at Ferrari and have Räikkönen as a team mate who will probably struggle to even get a point.

Codemasters AI are completely unrealistic anyway. In my F1 2013 Alonso is the dominant driver constantly getting pole and winning races. Did they even watch the season?!? Alonso had a horrible car and hasnt had a dry pole position for years! And Mercedes perform way too strong, if it were realistic they qualify highly and drop back with excessive rear tyre wear.

Hope we can choose if we are no 1 or 2 in a team, Im thinking maybe a full williams carrer and not fussed on having massa as my team mate. As far as some saying its not realistic the way I look at it is ive won multiple championships in the other f1 games, made it to the top teams as no 1 driver so why should I have to start over again in a backmarker team ;) Its will be nice to finally have the option to continue my 2013 carrer in the same team on 2014 if I decide to. Maybe a new feature for 2014?? carry over your carrer from the last game

vtidixon said:

Hope we can choose if we are no 1 or 2 in a team, Im thinking maybe a full williams carrer and not fussed on having massa as my team mate. As far as some saying its not realistic the way I look at it is ive won multiple championships in the other f1 games, made it to the top teams as no 1 driver so why should I have to start over again in a backmarker team ;) Its will be nice to finally have the option to continue my 2013 carrer in the same team on 2014 if I decide to. Maybe a new feature for 2014?? carry over your carrer from the last game

Exactly. But Codemasters dont care about people who have invested in the game or have an active interest in Formula 1. They just want to make the game as kid friendly as possible and water everything down to the lowest common denominator. 

They know that most die hard fans will be lured into buying the games regardless of how ¢rap they are

MUZZARIOL said:

No other aspect of Codefarcesters interpretation of Formula 1 is realistic so I dont see how this should be any different. If you want to take the moral high ground and drive as Vettels team mate thats your choice, the point is people should be free to make that choice.

and if your names Pastor Maldonado and your paying to the tune of £60m worth of Venezuelan oil money annually, and have friends in high places such as hugo chavez and officials from corrupt south american communist governments im fair sure you could make any demands you want without even having to pull a knife or gun.

You're complaining in other threads that the game is too unrealistic. So you want it to be even more unrealistic?
Your comment about Maldonado just screams desperation to defend your initial point as well as being very disrespectful towards him.
If you're going to be immature then don't expect your points to hold any credibility.

But of course, you're right, they don't care what the fans say. It's not like they added the safety car, brake bias, fuel mixes, classic content and now the ability to choose any team for career. when they were being highly requested.

Ye sure they added all this but it was in a f1 game 8-9 years ago so not exactly ground breaking! I have done approx 20-30 seasons since sc was added in 2011 and ive prob seen it 10 times if im lucky. The brake bias and fuel mix isnt a new feature they added!! they are part of driving a racing car esp a f1 car.As far as classics go it was so badly done it wasnt worth playing for most ppl. Again add a new feature then remove it the next year instead of improving it? I do enjoy playing these games but to say codemasters listens to there fans is a bit of a joke imo, I cant think of anything they add to make you feel more connected with the car during races all I ever see added are features that are so badly implemented they add nothing to the GAMEPLAY

MUZZARIOL said:

You're complaining in other threads that the game is too unrealistic. So you want it to be even more unrealistic?
Your comment about Maldonado just screams desperation to defend your initial point as well as being very disrespectful towards him.
If you're going to be immature then don't expect your points to hold any credibility.

But of course, you're right, they don't care what the fans say. It's not like they added the safety car, brake bias, fuel mixes, classic content and now the ability to choose any team for career. when they were being highly requested.

Its a game, elements of it are always going to be unrealistic, however this wont affect the gameplay in any way and if you want to replace the "lesser driver" than thats your choice to make.

Steve Hood responded to someone on twitter stating that Career numbers wont be included because he didnt feel it had an impact on gameplay. That is typical of the attitude within the company you seem to be defending to the grave... no regard for authenticity what so ever. Just happy to pinch every last cent from their target market while taking all the hardcore fans for a ride in the process

"No regard to authenticity whatsoever" - Selecting your team mate isn't authentic either.
You can't exactly complain about something being unrealistic when you want unrealistic elements thrown into the game.
As for the driver numbers: In what way will their inclusion impact the game? It would be nothing but a gimmick. Also, it should be very well known by now (since they have to repeat it every year since some people seem to forget) they cannot change the cars from the specifications they have. It was the reason why driver names couldn't be removed from the cars. Why would the car number have any exception?

The focus needs to be on what's actually important: the racing, be it single or multiplayer. Not silly little gimmicks like driver numbers, helmet editors, what type of HUD graphics are used, the ability to select any team mate you want, podium celebrations, victory laps or paddock walks etc. They shouldn't even be considered until after the main part of the game is sorted which still needs a fair amount of work.

"No regard to authenticity whatsoever" - Selecting your team mate isn't authentic either.
You can't exactly complain about something being unrealistic when you want unrealistic elements thrown into the game.
As for the driver numbers: In what way will their inclusion impact the game? It would be nothing but a gimmick. Also, it should be very well known by now (since they have to repeat it every year since some people seem to forget) they cannot change the cars from the specifications they have. It was the reason why driver names couldn't be removed from the cars. Why would the car number have any exception?

The focus needs to be on what's actually important: the racing, be it single or multiplayer. Not silly little gimmicks like driver numbers, helmet editors, what type of HUD graphics are used, the ability to select any team mate you want, podium celebrations, victory laps or paddock walks etc. They shouldn't even be considered until after the main part of the game is sorted which still needs a fair amount of work.

I agree with this but really want those things you mentioned. Cant we get a great playing game that has all these other things we want?

In the past car number were defined by World Champion then Constructors Championship placings from the previous season. From this year on every driver has a unique number, 2 completely different things.

Steve Hood didn't cite anything like what you just said, he clearly stated it would be ommitted due to his feelings that it wouldn't add to the game.

My comments about lack of authenticity are entirely about the racing, the fact that Codemasters aren't likely to produce something realistic on track (due to their strong stance toward appealing to casual markets), simple things like driver numbers, a FOM HUD and/or FOM style user interface, and a more authentic feel and atmosphere goes a long way in improving the immersion from the current cold and sterile avenue Codemasters have taken.

These things would be MUCH easier to implement than changing the entire physics engine and for people like myself who care more about the sport of F1 than the Cofemasters disciples on this forum seem to do, these basic changes would be very welcome.

But I guess the average 10yr old wouldn't notice those subtle changes therefore Codemasters probably aren't interested.

I am aware of how the driver numbers work and how they're different this year. But the point is still the same. It would require changing how the car looks (be it only slightly) which they are not allowed to do. It also still doesn't add to the game. He may not have said that directly about driver numbers but it still comes under the same thing that has already been said many times.

The only things that need changing to make the racing feel more authentic is improving the AI so they are more consistent and actually fight for position. People keep saying that they are appeasing the casual crowd but has it ever crossed the mind that this is something they have to do? Like it or not, the official F1 game has to be accessible to every type of player, not just a small crowd. I'd love to see the game as a simulator with manual starts, manual pit stops as much as the next person on here but it isn't likely to happen.

Of course, you could just keep throwing (un)subtle insults around. Someone who cared about the sport would value the racing part of the game over the add-ons which would make very little difference.

JJRosso said:
(Cut that out to save space)

I agree with this but really want those things you mentioned. Cant we get a great playing game that has all these other things we want?

That would be ideal definitely. Would love to see some of those things amongst others as well but only once the main part of the game is to an adequate level.

I am aware of how the driver numbers work and how they're different this year. But the point is still the same. It would require changing how the car looks (be it only slightly) which they are not allowed to do. It also still doesn't add to the game. He may not have said that directly about driver numbers but it still comes under the same thing that has already been said many times.

The only things that need changing to make the racing feel more authentic is improving the AI so they are more consistent and actually fight for position. People keep saying that they are appeasing the casual crowd but has it ever crossed the mind that this is something they have to do? Like it or not, the official F1 game has to be accessible to every type of player, not just a small crowd. I'd love to see the game as a simulator with manual starts, manual pit stops as much as the next person on here but it isn't likely to happen.

Of course, you could just keep throwing (un)subtle insults around. Someone who cared about the sport would value the racing part of the game over the add-ons which would make very little difference.

JJRosso said:
(Cut that out to save space)

That would be ideal definitely. Would love to see some of those things amongst others as well but only once the main part of the game is to an adequate level.

Yeah I agree it would only happen once they sorted out the main elements of the game and if the license allowed it. They do seem to work under pretty restrictive conditions but I still think they do a good job