Sign in to follow this  

Disabling tuning in custom lobby enables upgrades to work

There has been a lot of discussion lately regarding upgrades barely making any difference, however me and my friend have seem to discover that upgrades are somehow enabled if you disable tuning in custom lobbies.

If you set up the custom lobby with the following options:

Tuning disabled, and upgrades enabled = upgrades work

Tuning enabled, upgrades disabled = upgrades do not work

Both disabled = upgrades work

It would seem that somehow enabling tuning causes upgrade to disable in the coding. In other words, whoever has been hosting custom lobbies with both tuning and upgrades disabled expecting everyone to be equal are actually enabling upgrades for those who have already installed the upgrades in their cars. We also took the opportunity to have a comparison between fully upgraded and stock straightway performance in certain cars upon discovering this "bug". We have also discovered upgrades have a significant impact on certain cars but not so much in some cars. So far we have tested Mini Cooper, Integra, XKR-S, C63 and Viper.

Upgrades have a significant impact on the Integra,  Mini and XKR-S. A fully upgraded one started from 2nd place to a solid 2-3 car length lead over the stock one in the straights of Spa GP Sportscar. For the C63, the difference is 1 car length. For the Viper's case, the upgraded one only had a bumper advantage over the stock one starting from 2nd place. It seems upgrades does not have a significant impact on the Viper compared to the other cars we have tested.

I hope codemasters fix this issue regarding upgrades, this could be the cause of upgrades not being enabled in the game as some claimed.

1 of the 3 main testers here, just to clarify that the above info is correct.

Right!! tested a few days ago in oval tracks with Dallara, wich is very easy to test simply with long or short gears or motor I+D upgrade because are very significant. There´s still so many bugs, like engine sound and others that these issues takes a time to figure out but it happens.

I think that the impact of Viper are very, very subtle just to "balance" the price of this car in its category, is the cheaper but still i think is the best althought upgrades do "nothing", great car!! but not only for street, CM should mix more cars in other categories, i´m bored to race 4 or 5 laps in Brands Hatch with a Mini, in the second lap is bored as hell, alone, slow and looooong XD.

Tested it in a fev round's right now , and definatelly this have to be fixed , after turning OFF the tunning settings it's a hug diference how i feel the car upgrades now , my cars now getting a lot faster start , have more speed , breacking much better. So far i tested it only on Custom Cup Online as i have following the Steam discuss created by Fukkit. Well Codie's , we found a way to use it , but we would see now a fix for this , would be avesome for have the tunning settings ON as they do alot + Upgrades with them , as this was planned to be used Both at same time..

In this way , i would like to say a thank you Zodh and Fukkit GTI !  ;)

Hi!

So, if we buy a car, dont buy the tuning options and just buy the upgrades, this will enable the upgrades as it is supposed to? Will the car be better then with just tuning options?

Thanks in advance!

How does this affect official playlists as opposed to custom lobbies?

Having tuning options -and- upgrades on a car in official playlists, basically. Will it make the upgrades useless, or do they both apply? If this is the case in official lobbies then I'll make sure to not purchase tuning upgrades and stick to just car upgrades since they matter more.

I think I have a few brand new cars in my garage. Since I play nothing but playlist, I'll try to run some experiments If I can. 

another friggin' broken thing codemasters...

and then they will patch it and screw some other thiongs in the process. Is your EGO engine really that badly built CM?, or is all just about you, coders at "CM"?

Hi!

So, if we buy a car, dont buy the tuning options and just buy the upgrades, this will enable the upgrades as it is supposed to? Will the car be better then with just tuning options?

Thanks in advance!

Me and my friend are testing that right now, thanks for pointing out.

How does this affect official playlists as opposed to custom lobbies?

Having tuning options -and- upgrades on a car in official playlists, basically. Will it make the upgrades useless, or do they both apply? If this is the case in official lobbies then I'll make sure to not purchase tuning upgrades and stick to just car upgrades since they matter more.

If we apply the same thing from the singleplayer custom cup which by default upgrades and tuning are on, upgrades don't work there as I tested out. If it doesn't work in SP, we can safely say it doesn't work in official playlist either. As for not purchasing the tuning bit, me and my friend are grinding a car to test it out.

Results:

I used a loan BMW 1M and IsuckAtDriving used lvl20 (flywheel, weight reduction and clutch upgrades applied) with no tuning unlocked on purpose. 

Both  upgrades and tuning were enabled in the options. 

Unfortunately upgrades didn't work (it behaved like stock). But when we disabled tuning, the upgrades worked and showed a difference compared to stock.

http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/2904

So, I was actually...... kinda right. This was in Custom Cup offline, but I noticed no difference between stock and modified. 

Zodh said:

Results:

I used a loan BMW 1M and IsuckAtDriving used lvl20 (flywheel, weight reduction and clutch upgrades applied) with no tuning unlocked on purpose. 

Unfortunately upgrades didn't work (it behaved like stock). But when we disabled tuning, the upgrades worked and showed a difference compared to stock.

First of all, many thanks to both of you, for the time invested in this.

So basically, it doesnt matter if we bought or not the tuning options, the only way to get the performance upgrades to work is if we are in custom cup with tuning off?

Did you guys tested to see what was faster: tuning options or only performance upgrades made? Just out of curiosity! :)

Thanks again!

Zodh said:

Results:

First of all, many thanks to both of you, for the time invested in this.

So basically, it doesnt matter if we bought or not the tuning options, the only way to get the performance upgrades to work is if we are in custom cup with tuning off?

Did you guys tested to see what was faster: tuning options or only performance upgrades made? Just out of curiosity! :)

Thanks again!

I tried to comment on this yesterday but my comments are still waiting to be approved because of how many quotes I used. Huhm. I'll try this time with just two quotes.

I find this strange because, offline, I've tested a car with and without upgrades on - the BMW 320 TC - because people complained about the negligible top speed. The car did perform better with upgrades on offline - the kicker here however is that I didn't touch the tuning on the car. Top speed without upgrades was 158mph in slipstream. With all upgrades on, I could get 162mph. I tested on the Indy Oval.

The thing I asked about is whether this is effective in official playlists (touring playlist, street playlist, etc.) where both tuning and upgrades are enabled. By logic of testing it should mean that only tuning works and upgrades do nothing, but being unable to play the game online I can't test this myself right now. I know you said that by your testing it should work this way but I'd like to see if it can be positively confirmed as opposed to assuming. If it can be confirmed that upgrades don't work in official lists (or work only under specific circumstances), I'd like to know.

Thanks for the tests though. Codemasters need to look into this, it's a very strange problem.

So I posted a comment, and it did not appear, I shall assume it's getting approved?

Kazzy, could you do the test again in singleplayer with a stock and upgraded BMW 320 TC in Indy oval? I've just tested it and both stock and upgrade got me around 156-157mph range with slipstream throughout the course. No where near 162mph for me for both cars.

Now regarding playlist, due to the specific tracks and categories the way playlist are, it's almost impossible to test it out, thats why I made my assumption based on the Singleplayer and custom lobby regarding tuning settings on or off. But I finally had an idea and on testing this, went to an empty region and mass create empty playlist lobby until I got the track and category I wanted.

So here is the results with screenshots which should remove all doubts regarding whether upgrades are working in playlists. I drive a loaned Panspeed RX-7 while my friend's is lvl 50 fully upgraded, he start from 2nd and I start from first. Both of us using automatic and start at full RPM and stock tuning.

The first screenshot is from the tuner playlist.

Now the next screenshot is from the custom lobby with tuning disabled.

I think the results are quite clear. Upgrades don't work in official playlist at the moment, and only in custom lobbies with tuning disabled. Also upgrades DON'T WORK in Global Challenge as well as I've tested. In other words, everybody right now is using the same stock car. So any arguement that one is faster than the other because of upgrades is out of the window. Except tuning.

@Loore‌ Just to make sure this gets his attention. I know there's other things on your plate, but this needs to be looked at soon. In the meantime, I'll stop wasting my money on upgrades. 

wrong easy test in racenet challenge just add weight reduction see how car drives take off weight see how car drives big difference so upgrades do work. The power upgrades not as much effect as weight but will produce faster lap times . You have to test at least 100 laps to know what your talking about. So all upgrades do work online

Sorry, but I'm gonna go with the guys that actually ran these tests under various conditions.

bennyboy1 said:

wrong easy test in racenet challenge just add weight reduction see how car drives take off weight see how car drives big difference so upgrades do work. The power upgrades not as much effect as weight but will produce faster lap times . You have to test at least 100 laps to know what your talking about. So all upgrades do work online

Sounds like you have no idea what you are even talking about. Why do 100 laps when we can do a simple straightway acceleration comparison to test the upgrades which removes any player skill level or errors made? Did you even notice the straightway performance difference in the 2 screenshots above? And don't forget how many players have been pointing out how upgrades are not having any effect, even claiming that the loaned car is faster than a fully upgraded car in global challenge.

Sorry upgrades do work online user name halmsuperjet3 in top 3 any challenge i do. I Have tested alot on many challenges upgrades give me top 3 no upgrades top 20 until you run top 3 then test without upgrades you will know what im talking about. Im on controler it might be different on wheel you should asked replay i think hes on wheel

The tuner challenge last week same as this week I finished 2nd 2 tenths behind replay.Cuz of his darn wheel lol I tested without upgrades with same tuning setup and was slower about 2 to 4 tenths on the short layout also without weight reduction I could not hold same lines with it on. The biggest gain you can make is by tuning the gears and springs weight is next then the rearend the weakest upgrade is the engine as when you install it. It effects the handling and very little power and you surely cant tell anything with a eyetest only racing your ghost and your lap times can you tell the difference

I'm on controller too, and my tests, albeit not as in depth, proved the same thing.

In fact, I challenge you to post a video disproving everything you've seen in this thread. Show us that with tuning enabled in Global Challenges that upgrades do in fact make a difference.

2nd place is proof enough if you don't believe it keep running no upgrades and finish top 20 your choice

This is how codies designed the upgrades to keep the racing close or time trials.In time trials if your good in every turn with upgrades enabled you can gain 1 half of a car length lead or half of a tenth if the track has 8 turns you gain 4 tenths. No video or eye test will see that.Codies did a bang up job to keep the racing close. THATS NOT HARD TO UNDERSTAND is it tusmbox

What's hard to understand is why you aren't even acknowledging the pictures posted in this thread. Like I said, it's your mere word, against another who has provided proof, and has had other people confirm the validity of the proof. If all type gonna say is "im top 3 i dun need pruf" I can't take you seriously.