F1 2021 | BETA | Details and how to Apply Here Read more... ×

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Radio Silence on F1 2017

Just was thinking about the silence on F1 2017... I have a feeling that one of a couple things has happened.

1) Codies lost the FOM license, so they're not talking about it since the plug has been pulled on their F1 franchise. I think this is unlikely as the general acclaim of F1 2016 was good for Codies and FOM so I doubt that this is it. But if it was, it would explain why the Codies folks on the forums don't say anything anymore.

2) (more likely IMO) They are deep in the development of F1 2017 (hence lack of updates on 2016) and have their hands tied by FOM to keep their mouths shut until the car unveils are done.

I really think it's (2) since with all the new designs, no team will want that getting out, so FOM might've put a gag order on Codemasters about 2017 so that they don't leak any details from the car models. It sounds kinda silly, but it seems like just the kind of nitpick that FOM would pull to satisfy teams. I mean think about it, usually the game is announced within a month of the season start. There's no way a smaller dev like Codemasters could produce the models and integrate into a game in that time frame. So I'm thinking the license is staying with Codemasters, and they've already been sent visuals of the "launch" model of all the teams' cars. They then make base models and just make some extrapolated guesses on relative team performances as a base. Then after the first couple of races, they can go in and tweak it to match the competitive order, then announce and release. Since this is highly sensitive data in Formula 1's multi-billion dollar business, a gag order may have been placed limiting all external talk by Codemasters personnel regarding F1 2017. Yeah, it's unlikely that they could accidentally communicate on a forum some top secret thing, but imagine the sort of legal trouble that would happen if something leaked through them. It would actually destroy the company.

Now the point of me saying all this is, quite badgering the Codemasters team for answers. Absolutely continue the ideas lists, as that's what shows them what we as fans and customers want, but the critical posts have to stop. We don't know what they are doing and what they are going through, so critical posts are seriously counterproductive. Could they have just given up on us? Perhaps... But they maybe are just working behind the scenes because their hands are tied. We don't know, but we don't have to assume the worst.

Cheers.

The more I think about option 2 the more I'm beginning to believe that f1 2017 will be nothing more of an update to 2016, just based on how much time is remaining for a July launch window. 

Your first mention of '17 will come in the thread saying there will be no more patches for '16 because they're working on it.

They more than likely have abandoned console development and opted instead to obtain licenses for creating mobile versions of the game, as already declared. The only question is who will pick up where Codemasters left off??!!

Operator1 said:

TL;DR: "...speculation... speculation... now everybody stop posting things that I don't like!"

Chill man, all I said was that the endless insulting of the dev team is counterproductive. I made sure to point out the threads regarding ideas and all are brilliant and needed. 

And yeah, it's speculation, but it's hardly more speculative than the dramatic sighs that Codemasters has somehow abandoned the community.  Whilst everyone is vilifying Codemasters, I am simply trying to give them the benefit of the doubt. Is that so wrong?

Ignoring sales for a moment, compare the (approximate) number of Owners for the F1 games on Steam (https://steamspy.com/search.php?s=f1):
F1 2010: 87,977
F1 2011: 64,970
F1 Race Stars: 66,074
F1 2012: 316,200
F1 2013: 262,641 (had a free weekend in 2014)
F1 2014: 133,805
F1 2015: 109,327
F1 2016: 126,259

So it's picked up a little over F1 2015, but still not selling as well as they used to.

True, an increase in sales is high incentive to pour more development into 2017 to rectify the current problems. It's probably similar stories for consoles as well. 

I honestly think they should make 2017 very similar to 2016 and make it an evolutionary update and just rectifies all that is wrong with 2016 (R&D, AI glitches, etc.). Release that like 2 months into the season, maybe an update or two for bugs, then pour all their efforts into making 2018 a revolutionary games with some of the requested bells and whistles. Now I'm going to go hide so that @Operator1 doesn't come after me :P  (Jk, man :D )

I find it really hard to believe codemasters or any other developer would be given access to car models before they are officially unveiled. 

I can see 2017 either being skipped entirely or coming out really late in the season. They'll have no idea of final liveries, how the tyres will work, the laptimes cars can do etc. All they could work on right now would be the tracks and cut scenes (which after 2 years of the same podium sequence need some work).

We all might think for clever software developers, simply updating car models and handling would be straightforward and quick, but they failed to add Ocon into the game because of the work that would create.

MattPf1 said:
I find it really hard to believe codemasters or any other developer would be given access to car models before they are officially unveiled. 

I can see 2017 either being skipped entirely or coming out really late in the season. They'll have no idea of final liveries, how the tyres will work, the laptimes cars can do etc. All they could work on right now would be the tracks and cut scenes (which after 2 years of the same podium sequence need some work).

We all might think for clever software developers, simply updating car models and handling would be straightforward and quick, but they failed to add Ocon into the game because of the work that would create.
Indeed I don't think they do as they said before that they don't see the cars any earlier than we do that's why they can't release the games at the early point of the season like other franchises like EA's FIFA can. Not to mention that EA have a lot of people working on their FIFA franchise CM don't

Plus FIFA - the only thing EA would need to amend at the start of the season is the new kits. They will already have all the player models, the motion capture etc ready. There are no new rules meaning how a game of football will unfold. 

F1 2017 cars, handling, regs etc are a complete unknown until the season gets underway. 

They could fix all the stuff that's still broken this year and patch it as a show of good faith, and as I pointed out last year, it would assure its corrected for next year as they'll know how to fix it.
Instead we get the same bugs year after year it seems, with new ones thrown in every so often. Actually making the game work correctly takes a back seat to adding features.
I love features, but get the basics right and add the features a year later rather than adding features a year too soon and having new bugs on top of existing bugs that were never addressed.

The "radio silence" is no different than it has been any other year, whether the F1 licence has been up for renewal or not. I doubt most people on here could even tell you what year they last had to renew it, as it's not something CM have ever really talked about very much.

FRACTURED said:
They could fix all the stuff that's still broken this year and patch it as a show of good faith, and as I pointed out last year, it would assure its corrected for next year as they'll know how to fix it.

and even let us pay for next years with the patches for this year's , assuming someone else goes first and the reports are good enough to justify that faith.

FRACTURED said:
8 year deal from 2009-16

• Body is 16 characters too short.
It was actually a Seven year deal from 2009-2015 not an Eight year deal from 2009-2016. Late in 2015, they signed another deal for one more year. (That would be 2016)