Sign in to follow this  

Racenet AI

This weeks party mode racenet challenge is the best example of how badly coded the AI drivers are, after countless attempts at trying to get past a single one of them I honestly feel like Codemasters should just delete the AI altogether. They clearly haven't put any effort what so ever into coding them. You cant even get past the first corner without being pinballed around the track, seriously guys, sort this out.

Its being discussed, the topic of AI that is - but any changes are massive as the dependencies are huge. It's not a quick fix sadly but just thought you should know we aren't ignoring this.

I believe a fix has gone in recently (or is going in) that improves the AI in that they won't crash into the back of you as much. Will update when I hear more on that.

Loore said:
Its being discussed, the topic of AI that is - but any changes are massive as the dependencies are huge. It's not a quick fix sadly but just thought you should know we aren't ignoring this.

I believe a fix has gone in recently (or is going in) that improves the AI in that they won't crash into the back of you as much. Will update when I hear more on that.

Cheers for the update, most races I can deal with them, but the fast tight tracks such as this weeks racenet challenge on okutama is an absolute nightmare.

I must have restarted the race about 20 times before I managed to get around the first corner, letting them pass and trying to overtake them later on isn't an option either since its elimination and there isn't enough time.

I've been playing since release and this is the only complaint I have, really good job on the rest of the game.

Thanks

I just got a silver with 39,104 feet and that only placed me at top 40% so just persist Dude and you will do it.  Go into options and turn stabilty on, that will help to keep you from being turned around when your rubbing the AI.  Party mode is intended to be very aggressive/abusive racing.

The challenge is "Get Platinum/Gold/Silver/Bronze" and not "Try as often as you can to pass a single car while they ramm you like hell in a superleightweight car challenge where your opponents seem to drive quite fast tanks".

Loore said:

Call me ungrateful but... since when is that a problem in RaceNet Challenge? If I had a dollar for every time I got crashed into from behind, I'd be poor as **** now. Really.

The AI swerving into you on the straights, side-swiping you in the corners, tail-clipping you or brake checking you 4 miles before the braking zone even starts, being generally unaware of its surroundings nor your position on the racing line, while both ahead or behind, and basically causing a Derby-style bloodbath in every single first turn on every single track. These are the actual problems with it.

Maybe in Career mode, on the higher difficulty levels that's an issue, but in RaceNet Challenge? Come on...Half the players on those leaderboards could basically run circles around the AI after the first lap at the most. The AI isn't a threat when it's racing behind you, it's a threat when it's racing in front of you.

@Loore‌ 

I'm not sure, if you really understand what the problem with the current challenge is... it's not about AI being ignorant, keeping racing line regardless if you are there or hitting you in the back. It's about them going frenzy. I did a short replay-video to show, what is meant.

http://youtu.be/HS5ihk2D-ek

As you can see, that yellow car suddenly turns hard into me, on a straight, without reason. And that is happening all the time in this challenge. Not only to me, but in a battle of AIs aswell. The only way to 'safely' pass them, is to overtake them with at least 4 or 5 meters between you and the other car, what makes it hard to get the next turn properly. Drive 1 or 2m beside them and you can be sure to get blown into the wall of death. This is the first time, this is happening, so not the usual lunacy of the AI.

PERFECT video Photonik. Thanks for creating & posting that. Such a great example of how Grid AutoSport's AI drivers can really screw players over. I've experienced the same scenario (and other similar ones) many times.

Go out of the track and ovetake in the first lap to the third position, there´s no penalty even going far from the track except the firs turn but it doesn´t matter too much, once you reach the third position keep near behind the second but don´t overtake because it´ll wait for you and slow down only waiting to be overtake and hit your car.

Keep very near and wait till the fourth racer went out eliminated, so is the time, 20 seconds, to attack in the rigth place to the second car, 45º behind it and one distance car (this position is blind for all the IA in the game), overtake, run like hell and try to catch up the first, if not, you got the silver medal, if you get lucky and overtake the first you got the gold and if the first and second lap were good enough the platinum medal is possible, difficult but...race wild and nonsense

Use the out track specially at the beginning. Is not a serious racing challenge, more similar to a Mario Kart or GTA Vwherei would like to stick a C4 in the rivals cars...XD, many times i would like to go out the car and kill the other racers...XD,  try various starts times at the beginning, don´t try to overtake every racer, keep calm and they lose the control or they will crash between them, and you could overtake two or three at one time. Be quick looking at them and avoid crash at high speed, reflex here are crucial.

Is not what i call a RACE but is party mode, and the system allows way more "room" out of the track without penalty; i use to do almost an straight path in the third, fourth and fifth turns, and then go out out of the track in the sixth just glued to the fence at the right side. Works!! with patience and many rock´n´roll XD, and by the way, crash, ram, hit, destroy every other IA racers and use the stability control, helps a lot, is not a "pro" race, is more of a Dirt Showdown style. In other words: don´t try to drive well, do it restless & wild!! o:)..... >:)

Salute.

P.s. I only try it yesterday a bunch of times and get the silver medal but i discover the path to get the gold and plat if luck is with me!!  :p

its party mode you should know that was gonna happen. a foot more to the right and u would have been fine. in any other mode the car would back off once your front half is getting past them.

Loore said:

Ghost the AI in time attack modes at least, the point of that mode is to set a time, not dodge vengeful AI. 

(Tbh I'd prefer if playlist time attack was ghosted as well, sometime it's a bit of luck deciding if you get the chance to set a proper lap without rammers ruining it, or even a decent racer who is just that little bit slower then you are so you get slowed down but can't overtake without shenanigans)

its party mode you should know that was gonna happen. a foot more to the right and u would have been fine. in any other mode the car would back off once your front half is getting past them.

How should I know that? Party mode = random tracks, random car and eliminator/point to point. Driving so close was deliberate, I wanted to show what these manicas do, just in case the devs didn't do that on purpose and haven't noticed. But such an agressive AI is the first time. The Lancia Cup was on the same track and there was no AI driving that agressively. If pure frenzy is your impression of party, I never wanna drink a beer with you. :D 

The AI in the Lancia race was exactly the same. The difference is the cars were slower and heavier, meaning those hits didn't affect you as much then. Now it's a bigger deal because you lose control so easily. 

@TUSMBOX‌ 

Nope, they weren't. Watch that video (not mine), shows the event from week 2. He was able to drive close to them on straights without them hitting everything beside them. So not just less effect, they just didn't do that back then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLFsB5v6Q-8

Seeing as how I experienced it first hand, that one video is not going to change anything. 

TUSMBOX said:
The AI in the Lancia race was exactly the same. The difference is the cars were slower and heavier, meaning those hits didn't affect you as much then. Now it's a bigger deal because you lose control so easily. 

Agree with this point, i was gonna say exactly the same thing.

Once you learn how they behave on party mode it's not that hard to win. On most of these challenges its about learning the best way through the first turn with the most corner speed or exit speed and that will see past most of the pack and the first turn pile up, then carefully pick your moments with the rest of em. Sometimes it takes a lot of attempts to get the first bit right then a few more after that to learn where best to pass them on the rest of the track.

With the video above it just shows you how you can do it without being smashed off the track, his first turn was excellent so was past most of pack then the rest was easy. He was just shy of platinum because he could have gone a bit faster through some of turns. If the AI are in a turn then they are usually busy with that rather than hitting you and some people he ran by quickly which means you slip by before they react. If you're on their bumper they will brake if you're side by side at a similar speed they will ram you.

One more thing, The Lancia challenge took many many more attempts for me to platinum than this weeks. Getting all the elements right, like i mean a few hours in total over different days where the party mode and the other Caterham challenge this week I did in half hour each. rant ended 

Wasn't really a problem once I got used to the AI.

Not much different to an online race LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOjSTAhK_TE&index=13&list=UUG8fm_OqdBCFMK6zI_KmCJA

With the video above it just shows you how you can do it without being smashed off the track, his first turn was excellent so was past most of pack then the rest was easy. He was just shy of platinum because he could have gone a bit faster through some of turns. If the AI are in a turn then they are usually busy with that rather than hitting you and some people he ran by quickly which means you slip by before they react. If you're on their bumper they will brake if you're side by side at a similar speed they will ram you.

One more thing, The Lancia challenge took many many more attempts for me to platinum than this weeks. Getting all the elements right, like i mean a few hours in total over different days where the party mode and the other Caterham challenge this week I did in half hour each. rant ended 

I had trouble with the Lancia challenge, too. But only because I aimed straight for platinum, so I had many restarts, when I didn't get to P4 or soemething like that before the 2nd corner. Apart from that I hardly had any trouble with the AI.

The only challenge I remember with a similar suicidal AI was the super tuners in SF. Once you were past the apocalyptic 1st corner they still defended very agressively and tended to push you, but even there they didn't drive straight into you, while being 1 or 2m away.

With this weeks challenge I managed gold with the 2nd time I was able to survive the 1st lap, but after that it never happened again. :D 

@Loggy I'd have problems with that, cause I'm not used to the chase view. That indeed gives a huge advantage compared to onboard-views, where you never know, who's close beside you.

edit: Well, took a few tries, but top5 finally worked :D