Jump to content Jump to content

AI Discussion and Feedback

What do you like about the AI

Nothing really. See next

What don't you like about the AI

Theres not much intelligence involved. Turn on steering lines and you'll see they are simply following that line with  a set speed. If you happen to be in their line they will just ram into you and drive on while you are pushed out of the track either getting a white lines penalty, damaged car or just spin around. This can be reproduced by simply driving past an AI and drive in their line a little slower than them and watch whats happening. 

What would you improve with the AI

Give them some intelligence. Its fine that they have a steering line but when something comes into that steering line make them aware of the situation and have them try avoid collisions unless its you that are ramming them. Also have them have the same physics as you. Meaning they should suffer the same effects of impact as any human player would. simple as that.

6) Ravenwest are impossible to beat in the Touring Car races in the 2nd Grid Series. They accelerate way too quickly. I can beat them in every other event on Hard, but the Touring Cars I had to drop to Medium to keep up. I understand that the AI for touring cars is supposed to be tough but in this instance it seems downright unfair.
I found them the best challenge so far. I started my career on hard and took about 4 or 5 races to finally take my first win from ravenwest. After that it was still challenging, but most time it worked for me.

As for the rest...
I like, that they are, at times, pretty competitive (in GRID1 I could literally drive circles around them on highest setting), fight for position on their own, make reasonable mistakes (maybe too many), defend and take risky maneuvers to attack you.

What I dont like...
  • These risky maneuvers are too much and too agressive in situations, where no-one in their right mind would try to overtake.
  • When they defend, they do it too 'passionately'. If I come pacing down beside you with 20kp/h more, you don't drive in my way in the last moment, so I end up in the car's rear. There are limits to when a position is lost and you have to let one go.

• They are stupidly staying on the race line even if you are driving there, often causing you to spin, because they tap (brick wall) your rear. They should be more aware of the players car and react accordingly. I sure want a challenging AI, but not one, that is ignorant.

• If you are on a straight beside an AI, they often tend to push you in the wall/grass. As they are running brick walls you can't do anything about it. Again, challenging yes, but not unfair. Such behaviour would result in an instant black flag for that driver in EVERY race series (except destruction derby).

• The brick wall cars!!! Most importantly, that is what bothers me. The AI can push you around as they please and you can do nothing about it. Their only vulnerability is in a corner, when you tap them from behind, so you can spin them. But apart from that, nothing. They are beside you and decide to push you to the left, that's what's gonna happen, as you can't counter react. It's like driving against a tank/bus/lorry/brick wall. That even affects you running into their back when they are to slow. What happens is, that YOU spin, while they carry on as nothing has happened. This isn't realistic. Yes, maybe you would spin aswell, but they'd be off the track aswell. Sure, this affects gameplay, people could simply start pushing every AI off the track to win the race. But let the players decide to play that way, if they want. 
    So the AIs cars shuld behave exactly like the players car in terms of vulnerability to pushing/spinning etc.

• ...what leads me to the next point. If I happen to run into an AI because they go slow through a corner (as happening constantly in racenet challenge), you are immediately slowed down to the speed of that car. That makes no physical sense. Yes, you should slow down, but they should speed up aswell, leading to an instant gap between you two again. Instead it seems that I am 'glued' to them after that. I'm stuck right at their tail and, for whatever reason, they don't accelerate again, they keep their speed! That makes it even harder to pass them if you happen to run into them, ruining the race, and if a racenet challenge, everything.

• Last thing. That dull AI in racenet challenge, when in time attack, tends to slow down to let me pass, when I am close. Please strike that! They do that most time, when you are right behind them in the slipstream, resulting in a) running into them again or b) a hard evasive maneuver, therefore loosing speed and sometimes control of the car. And in worst case, they do that in corners. They are already slow, you close in, they slow down even more and the lap is ruined as you can't get around.

So what I want you to change in short.
  • AI less agressive in attacking/blocking and not so ignorant in keeping the race line, when you are there
  • Put out the bricks of their cars! When I hit them with high speed, they should fly off and if I defend, I want to be able to hold my line. In the end our cars weigh the same, so it's a 1:1 ratio.
  • Don't let the AI slow down for us in time attack. And if so, make them go off the race line first and only on a straight and NOT in a corner!
  • Pretty please, give us the possibility to increase the AIs strength in racenet challenges so we don't run into them after 10 seconds or alternatively turn them off for Time Attack!
    This is the most important thing of all!

I guess that's all I can think of right now, but it should be enough to keep you busy. :D 

doyley101 said:

I wouldn't change the AI much at all, they're one of the few AI's I've raced against that seem human; ie: make mistakes, go for passes and defend properly. I also quite like the brake checking as it is a legitimate tactic IRL to defend, although it gets a bit annoying in time attack

neither would I. I'd probably turn the aggression down a touch as it can be a touch too aggressive in places but generally I think the AI is fine certainly pace wise anyway.

When I was first starting, the AIs were a challenge to negotiate. We set them to Balanced, and learned. Now, we've gotten a lot better. We set them to their hardest level, but, once we get past them, we leave them behind and never see them again, until we start passing them.

In real life, one would never get so far ahead of the rest of the pack.

Suggestion: Introduce two sliders to control the AIs: Competitiveness, which influences ability; essentially, as if the track were empty.

And Aggression, which influences amount of contact allowed or disallowed.

I shouldn't be able to run away from the AIs; they should be able to at least keep up at the harder settings (remember, if I don't want the challenge of the AIs, I can simply not select them). Similarly, they can be aggressive, or not, based on my preference, meaning willing to initiate contact, or not.

SpeedGeek said:

When I was first starting, the AIs were a challenge to negotiate. We set them to Balanced, and learned. Now, we've gotten a lot better. We set them to their hardest level, but, once we get past them, we leave them behind and never see them again, until we start passing them.

In real life, one would never get so far ahead of the rest of the pack.

Suggestion: Introduce two sliders to control the AIs: Competitiveness, which influences ability; essentially, as if the track were empty.

And Aggression, which influences amount of contact allowed or disallowed.

I shouldn't be able to run away from the AIs; they should be able to at least keep up at the harder settings (remember, if I don't want the challenge of the AIs, I can simply not select them). Similarly, they can be aggressive, or not, based on my preference, meaning willing to initiate contact, or not.

They're easier to beat online than they are offline. I think it's because online their rubberband is turned off.

Been playing codemasters games and toca all my life and I'm very happy with the game in general just 2 issues that do really hurt the game; firstly the AI tends to be far too aggressive especially when I'm trying to drive as good as i can i don't need someone muscling me out the way, secondly the AI does seem to rubber band away or in front of me, I'm quite good at the game but it seems to punish me for playing it, the flashbacks should only come as a race saving last resort not a game fixer.

I like how the AI is aware of you and tries to block you in Career. I like how they make mistakes on occasion. 

I don't like, how the AI will door slam you when you drive inside of them, purposely swinging out to make contact with you. I realize accidents do happen. I haven't been nailed from behind yet. I hate how RavenWest seems to be head and shoulders better than the rest. I especially hate when AI forces you into a Corner cut situation, yet when they run over the white lines nothing happens to them. Also the weight of their cars is double the weight of ours, meaning if we "bang" fenders entering into the corner they continue on, and I'm left spinning into the gravel trap .

Take a little away from the AI on the straights and give it to them in Braking or cornering. Some of the biggest issues are created because they completely leave the Player on the exit of the corner but they can easily be out-braked into the corner. That's usually when the AI enters wide and slams the Player in the door or front wheel. In Roadracing there are two ways to pass. One is on Corner entry, by out-braking your opponent, and the other is Setting them up after the exit to get a better run down the straight. Many times in closely regulated series you have to qualify well and wait for the driver in front to make a mistake. 

The way they make mistakes occasionally. Close competitive racing.

Being punted off the track on the last corner by some dick in a Ravenswest car even though I've led for 9 laps and am on the racing line.

Allow them to space out more instead of being in one long train of cars. Bigger talent / time differential between the top guys and the also-rans. Actually make them intelligent, i.e. not career in to me at every oppurtunity.

I keep getting taken out more in a single player modes than online races,,this AI is dirty and super aggressive. Is there a option where i can change AI behavior ? I like challenge but constantly being hit by AI is ruining this fun game for me. No matter if i play Touring cars, Endurance or open wheels, AI behavior stays the same dirty over aggressive.

- Genuine mistakes they make (out-braking themselves or spinning out)

- When they do take a defensive line when braking into a corner when we're behind

- That they're competitive on harder difficulties

Dislikes:

- Lack of awareness (Blindly ramming or sideswiping us going in/out of corners especially!)

- Painfully obvious rubber banding on Ravenwest drivers

Overly aggressive in Touring class

- Getting away with corner cutting

Improvements:

- Make them less aggressive in all disciplines (Touring cars should be more about light contact and not bangers)

- Lower or get rid of the rubber banding

- More awareness and not try to force us off track if we're beside them!

• 2 weeks later...
  • What do you like about the AI
    Competitive on the difficulty level I play on (very hard) - I usually finish in position that I derserved i.e based on the car, lap times, mistakes etc. There are caveats with this though... 
  • What don't you like about the AI
    The rubber banding. Especially the Ravenwest guys. What's even more amusing is when I drive for Ravenwest, the other teams start to exhibit it more as well! They are far far to aggressive to the point where you'll get dive bombed and otherwise rammed into as if you aren't there. And they ram each other, team mates as well. At times, they also drive sketchy lines, with the car sliding and oversteering untidily but still maintaining speed - not  a big deal, just looks silly
  • What would you improve with the AI
  • Make them more sensible/aware across the board. A little bumping and barging is part and parcel of touring cars so that's something to keep in mind. The catch up/rubber banding needs to go or have an option to disable. I deleted the catchup.xml file and the game was significantly more enjoyable - problem is that I couldn't save the game any more. I assume there's a checksum or something to prevent tampering.
The AI can really just make the game NOT THAT FUN, at times.. Tone down the Aggressiveness and side Slamming. And Openwheel has to be LITTLE to NO Contact. It's ridiculous at times, like the Demo Derby. Keep some of the Blocking/Protecting position, but get rid of the Slamming!
  • 2 months later...
it's been said already but i'll add my voice:
- team ravenwest is much faster in the same car on the same track than the player. it is actually a bit funny to see how quckly nathan mckane shoots ahead when starting on last position - if it werent so frustrating.
- AI rams like crazy, yet is unaffected by being rammed (not that i would encourage ramming). minimal contact from them on my car sends me into outer space but no matter what i do, they continue on their line.
Ah, I didn't realize there's a topic for this. Here we go.

What do you like about the AI?

1) The cutbacks are the absolute favourite. To quote myself from another topic: "it's just insane how smartly it judges you outbraked yourself and cuts back on you. I dread it every time I pass an AI car; just trying to make my apex speed as low as possible to prevent the cutback. It's extremely good."
2) I also like that some of them actually react to being pressurized a lot and make mistakes under pressure.
3) I like how they pick defensive lines into the corners; they either position themselves intelligently on the inside in the first place, or try to squeeze you in - the latter is touch and go in real racing etiquette, but I like it.
4) You can easily get a cup-long rival, with whom you clash race by race, set apart from the rest. It's great.
5) They are pretty consistent - either in being backmarkers, or being out front.

What don't you like about the AI?

1) No big news, but they are too crash happy. In the above squeeze situation, if you're side by side, it still hits you. It's OK in Touring and Street (especially in Touring), but it's a nuisance in Endurance and Open Wheel (especially in Open Wheel).
2) Contact damage is far too forgiving in Open Wheel (an, to an extent, in Endurance). Once again, quoting myself: "it's even more frustrating that Codies specifically say in preview videos something along the lines of how 'only the slightest contect can ruin your race in Open Wheel.' It's not THAT [sic] contact-y as Touring, but it still is to an exaggerated level."
3) The AI is not aware enough of me if I change direction quickly. Once again, that's more of a problem in Endurance and Open Wheel. It's a bit different from 1) as in the above case, it knows I'm there and still hits me. In this case, swerving towards it comes later, but it does not have the reaction time to take evasive action.
4) Rubber-banding. Just cut it. Seriously. It's childish. Pack racing is only prevalent on plate tracks in NASCAR. In BTCC, you have close racing, but not the whole field in 5 secs, so it's not the same and not even realistic.
5) Corner-cutting. The AI does it, I spotted it during replays (e. g. T9 at the COTA) and it did not get penalized.

What would you improve with the AI?

1) Contact should be avoided at all cost in the Open Wheel and Endurance disciplines, so even if I have been a complete idiot making a move, the AI should still do everything it can, to avoid contact. It's related to damage: first, fix the AI reaction, if me - or other cars, for that matter - change direction towards it quickly, then increase damage from contact. Downforce-producing bits are prevalent here and they should come off more easily and have more of an effect, than, say, the back bumper of a touring car.

Edit: I understand if the desensitivized contact damage in these two disciplines is for the sake of the 'fun factor'. In that case, at least improve on the awareness of the AI.
  • 2 months later...
You're probably too lazy to fix the most retarded AI drivers in the video gaming history, but could you at least remove them from the Racenet online challenges?

Thank you

Edit: actually never mind, I'll just uninstall this crap and never touch anything that has the name "codemasters" (masters...yeah) involved

EDIT by PeteTheDuck: Removed bad language, please watch it in future.