Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Announcing DiRT 4

I note that NONE of you have a counter to my points just personal attacks on my integrity knowledge with no backup whatsoever.
No one attacked your integrity, I just pointed out where you countered your own points and made the same mistakes you were complaining about from other members/testers/video show hosts. I don't need any back up when anyone can see it in your own posts.

If you want me to, I can go back and quote your own complaints and their counters and paste them next to each other so you can see what I mean.

Then you can try and explain how you didn't mean what you said in whichever of the opposing statements you consider to be less damaging to either your integrity or your knowledge, if you like.

Just so you understand, I haven't got a problem with people complaining about the game, Codies haven't got a problem with people complaining about the game, no one on the forum has a problem with people complaining about the game. Just the opposite in fact, we want it. Feedback of all kinds helps to improve the game, which is the point of allowing it and asking for it. What we (me and the other forum members who have responded to your posts) have a problem with is the way you have complained about the game, there's a difference.

versedi said:
I don't see any place where you've been attacked in any matter, especially personally.
I'd even say that the way you're trying to bring attention to this can be received as a kind of attack.

You could have give your feedback in a more  normal way, instead you decided to smash CAPSLOCK multiple diactric marks which is kind of SCREAMING in the internet!!!!!!!

You get what I mean?

As for DX 12 and back to the discussion.

AFAIK current iteration of Ego Engine does not support DX 12 at all so creating the support for completely new DX12 API is a time-taking (money-taking) process. I can't see it being done without new iteration of the engine. 

If it wasn't enough Nvidia is still having a lot of problems with DX 12. (Discussion one year old, yet still actual):

https://www.reddit.com/r/AdvancedMicroDevices/comments/3iwn74/kollock_oxide_games_made_a_post_discussing_dx12/cul9auq/

A lot of games (eg. BF1) even though they have DX12 support it causes problems and instabilities so players tend to switch to DX11 anyway.

Also, not everyone has the hardware/software capable of running DX12. I don't have statistics but I'm pretty sure Codemasters do and they've researched the market before making any decisions.

I personally, prefer the dev-time being put into physics and gameplay itself rather than fancy graphics. 

http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/39631/ego-4-0-engine-details 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EGO_(game_engine)

At least I checked instead of launching into a critique of other peoples knowledge and sorry should I use only italics for emphasising a point???

Personally I prefer progression rather than stepping backwards thanks...

As for my complaining about not fixing one game and then about them fixing another, seems you missed what I said in GAS we were promised a fix but CM then refused to do so and abandonded all support for the game

In Dirt rally the changes were made in peices, like a handful of cars handling would change, then another group and another, than another, then they change the entire setup options and messed with the FFB on top of that, so after tuning the car once it needed re-tuning after the handling and again after the setup options were changed and again after the FFB. Why not sort them all and apply them at the same time?????

As for my complaining about not fixing one game and then about them fixing another, seems you missed what I said in GAS we were promised a fix but CM then refused to do so and abandonded all support for the game

In Dirt rally the changes were made in peices, like a handful of cars handling would change, then another group and another, than another, then they change the entire setup options and messed with the FFB on top of that, so after tuning the car once it needed re-tuning after the handling and again after the setup options were changed and again after the FFB. Why not sort them all and apply them at the same time?????

You are complaining about Codies not updating their games and updating them too often in the exact same comment.
DiRT Rally was constantly upgraded because it was in Early Access, and it was supposed to be like that from the start.

Personally I prefer progression rather than stepping backwards thanks...

I don't see DiRT 4 as a step backwards jn any way, if that's what you're reffering to

I know it was early access and yes I was fully aware changes were likely but not changes that required totally re-tuning every car as the changes they made reset every car handling setup with every update.

Try Apex for free then look again.......

It runs faster on my old AMD 1100T rig with a GTX 1060 can run Dirt Rally and looks an order of magnitude better WHILST sorry whilst it does so.

Why would I want to pay £45 for this when it's built on EGO 4.0 which DOES support DX12

Not really why? You want gamers to be deluded into buying a game that is a generation behind the times???

Why should I get bored????

No I'm judging it on it's lack of moving forwards compared to dirt rally, as I said before CM rehashing an old title without adding any significant improvements.

The trees branches look like paper cutouts, so do the tufts of grass and bushes at the sides of the road, few cars, few rx tracks and very little else.

Ego 4.0 supposedly does support DX12 yet it's not used in Dirt 4 which is supposedly using ego 4.0, DX12 does improve preformance and graphics by reducing CPU load.

Why are CM sitting still?? Why are they not utilising the game engine fully???

It is a vastly significant improvement, I've been playing it the last few days. The randomly generated stages is the best thing to ever happen to rally games, the physics has been very much improved and not to mention the new game modes. 

The trees branches look like paper cutouts, so do the tufts of grass and bushes at the sides of the road
Pretty sure this is only on consoles. My trees on PC look fine.

Ego 4.0 supposedly does support DX12 yet it's not used in Dirt 4 which is supposedly using ego 4.0, DX12 does improve preformance and graphics by reducing CPU load.

Why are CM sitting still?? Why are they not utilising the game engine fully???
You're acting like adding DX12 will somehow magically make the game significantly better, and you're completely ignoring pretty much every single other improvement they've made between Dirt Rally and Dirt 4.

Still see nothing to make me want to buy it, it looks cartooninsh and this ruins immersion and I'm taking YT nerfing vids into account here as well. and as I said before it's bits of other titles bolted on to tha last game (like Liverouts from grid 2). Dirt rally with a bit of a polish.

As to the physics can't disagree with you as I haven't tried it myself but personally, I found very little wrong with Dirt rally's physics so, I didn't expect D4 to need huge changes, unless it was to optimise the game better for controllers than Dirt Rally was. On a wheel Dirt Rally was fine..

Apex looks better, runs at higher fidelity on most systems and higher fps rates (even nerfed in YT vids), the trees are 3D models not paper cutouts stuck to a pole, the grass has individual blades instead of a series of cardboard cutouts on endless repeat.

I'll say it again try Apex it'll make Dirt 4 look like a cartoon and still perform better even though it's just a console port adapted to run on DX12.

FM7 will be here Autumn time. Need For Speed by November 10th and PCars 2 before the end of the year. all bigger, all with, more cars, more options, more tracks (generator aside).... Pcars 2 also has Rally Cross.... Yes no word on DX12 for PCars 2 or NFS, though I'd suspect PCars 2 will get it or Vulkan instead, tbh I doubt NFS will though.

I just see Dirt 4 taking a nosedive in player numbers when FM7 hits and dribbling down to a few hardcore fans over 6 months. Just like most of CM's recent titles have done...

the trees are 3D models not paper cutouts stuck to a pole, the grass has individual blades
Like I said, only consoles suffers from this.
Still see nothing to make me want to buy it, it looks cartooninsh
Then don't buy it?

LOL I used to be one of codemasters biggest defenders in the past now I'm a troll?? seriously????

Just because I have little faith in their products and product support over their recent titles and point them out I'm a Troll??

GL and have fun when the numbers of player tank 2-3 months from now.....

What would be the point of that? The idea of Early Access was to find faults and patch them. The patches were released as soon as possible after completion, that way they could be tested as retweaked again if needed/possible in the allotted time frame before general release.

I know it was early access and yes I was fully aware changes were likely but not changes that required totally re-tuning every car as the changes they made reset every car handling setup with every update.
Any update that required changes to the cars, would require you to retune your cars, because the settings weren't the same as the cars you had previously tuned. You could have got unexepected advantages/disadvantages from using the old tunes.
As to the physics can't disagree with you as I haven't tried it myself but personally, I found very little wrong with Dirt rally's physics so, I didn't expect D4 to need huge changes, unless it was to optimise the game better for controllers than Dirt Rally was. On a wheel Dirt Rally was fine..
The aerodynamics were wrong, especially mid air, traction on tarmac.
Apex looks better, runs at higher fidelity on most systems and higher fps rates (even nerfed in YT vids), the trees are 3D models not paper cutouts stuck to a pole, the grass has individual blades instead of a series of cardboard cutouts on endless repeat.
Apex is a circuit racer, circuits use less memory than a rally stage so can be made prettier, with higher fps. Common sense really, 1 is a loop, repeated over and over, the other is a string using the same visual resources over and over. Like the saying goes "A circuit racer sees the same corner a thousand times, a rally racer sees a thousand corners once".

I'll say it again try Apex
I have, got bored of it really quickly, because ironically, it's just a rehash of their previous games cobbled together. The fact that it was free didn't alter the fact that it was the same old circuits and cars.

Pcars 2 also has Rally Cross....
You mean... an idea, bolted on from some other companies game?
sorry should I use only italics for emphasising a point???
Please, you would have gotten less grief if you had done that in the first place.

I'll say it again try Apex it'll make Dirt 4 look like a cartoon and still perform better even though it's just a console port adapted to run on DX12.

FM7 will be here Autumn time. Need For Speed by November 10th and PCars 2 before the end of the year. all bigger, all with, more cars, more options, more tracks (generator aside).... Pcars 2 also has Rally Cross.... Yes no word on DX12 for PCars 2 or NFS, though I'd suspect PCars 2 will get it or Vulkan instead, tbh I doubt NFS will though.

dwkGravey said:

Hahahaha, Codies defender, hahahahaha.

If you were a Codemasters Defender, you would be a gameplay elitist, not a graphics elitist.

Grid 1 Assists off 2008 until 2013 667 hours after it went on steam but did 1400 hours before it was selling via steam
https://youtu.be/BsjsUeQEAz0
https://youtu.be/e4TA4Bd1DUc
https://youtu.be/7eRABii0aOE
Dirt 3 800 hours
https://youtu.be/AUD4ohZ-xVY
https://youtu.be/_JVbI4WtISM
https://youtu.be/j541vwYcChA
F1 Online the game
https://youtu.be/DTNlvMygZf0
Grid 2 335 
https://youtu.be/d8tiGQ3xn_U
Grid Autosport 1200 hours
https://youtu.be/mn1sr0ca4HI
https://youtu.be/nuWe8y2luWQ
Dirt Rally 207 hours before lack of online other than RX got boring
https://youtu.be/XWnyrN8nO_Y
https://youtu.be/xuZysnXGayU

I think I have a pretty good grasp of codemasters, and their gameplay and handling. Also their history...... as for rally being more demanding than circuits are tell me why my fps at lydden hill was no different to rally stages surely thats just a circuit like track racers Dirt 4 will have a basic sandbox for each area the routes inside may be different but it's still within that sandbox, how soon before you start running over the same patch of ground I wonder how that'll limit the stage length? Just like Liveroutes in Grid 2.

I care about Vulkan over DX12. 
Vulkan is open source and supports a much wider range of OS.
DX12 is only supported by Win10. Most people don`t use Win10. 
Some devs have expressed that they don`t want to support Microsofts 
mafia style marketing and are staying away from DX12 for that reason. 
All tests I have seen between DX12 and Vulkan, Vulkan is better. 

The Apex video looks really bad. Very low dynamic range which makes
the shadows look black.  DiRT4 looks way better IMO. 

Cheers :)

as for rally being more demanding than circuits are tell me why my fps at lydden hill was no different to rally stages surely thats just a circuit like track racers Dirt 4 will have a basic sandbox for each area the routes inside may be different but it's still within that sandbox, how soon before you start running over the same patch of ground I wonder how that'll limit the stage length? Just like Liveroutes in Grid 2.
The circuits use exactly the same resources as the rally stages, and have the same limitations as the rest of the game. Yes, they have less background to draw but they also have to draw more vehicles, which are more detailed than the rest of the game.

So http://steamcharts.com/search/?q=Dirt
D4 with less players on steam than DR which has less players than D3..... I rest my case......