Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Announcing DiRT 4

BadD0g said:
<text>
Pro tip: Instead of typing massive rants, try a fun new activity called: Not Buying a Game if You Don't Want To™
What amazes me is they think people care about their sulking. "I'm sick of codemasters! But I'll still visit the forums. And when the moment comes, I'll show everyone how angry I am with some facts"  I'm sure they will do everything you ask just to have you back though  :D

Nice! Sounds like it's going to be sim like Dirt Rally, Dirt Rally must've been a predecessor development version of this.
|
Can we get full length stages this time? Rally games have never been done justice like that, they always have shortened recreations. I want to have a crack at a 20+km full length WRC stage.

@KickUp will the sketchy steering inputs be sorted out in D4? As in.. if I put 300 degrees of rotation in my Logitech G27 settings, I want all cars to actually make full use of my rotation. Not as it currently is in Dirt Rally, where only some of the cars make use of the rotation, while others such as the Alpine, RS200, 037, and 205 thinks I am using 15 to 30 degrees of rotation. Some daily events are undrivable for me like this... like today's delta daily, for instance. :(

@KickUp will the sketchy steering inputs be sorted out in D4? As in.. if I put 300 degrees of rotation in my Logitech G27 settings, I want all cars to actually make full use of my rotation. Not as it currently is in Dirt Rally, where only some of the cars make use of the rotation, while others such as the Alpine, RS200, 037, and 205 thinks I am using 15 to 30 degrees of rotation. Some daily events are undrivable for me like this... like today's delta daily, for instance. :(
Have you unchecked the "Allow game to change settings" tick in the Logitech Profiler? Maybe that could help. I have set my DFGT to 540° and it stays like that for all the cars

There's pretty much only you that complains about this. I don't experience this on my wheel, although usin full range and softlock.

Almost sound like the old twitchy steering bug that was there around the release.

bogani said:
There's pretty much only you that complains about this. I don't experience this on my wheel, although usin full range and softlock.

Almost sound like the old twitchy steering bug that was there around the release.
Nah I've seen others complain about this as well. We're few but we're here. Definitely an annoying little kink I'd like to see ironed out.

Didzis said:
Have you unchecked the "Allow game to change settings" tick in the Logitech Profiler?
Yes.

Bigsur said:
JackKey said:
I guess people expected that Codemasters would go now 100% realistic serious pure Rally after the success of DiRT Rally.
Yes I did, but instead of building on and continuing with that pure Rally theme, they seem to have used the success of Dirt Rally to springboard and hype an arcade based  theme game, it's a slap in the face with a pair of driving gloves.
If you want 100% sim walk outside and go to a Rally event, right there is your 100% sim.

Bigsur said:
JackKey said:
I guess people expected that Codemasters would go now 100% realistic serious pure Rally after the success of DiRT Rally.
Yes I did, but instead of building on and continuing with that pure Rally theme, they seem to have used the success of Dirt Rally to springboard and hype an arcade based  theme game, it's a slap in the face with a pair of driving gloves.
If you want 100% sim walk outside and go to a Rally event, right there is your 100% sim.
You are too thick to understand the post, so don't comment on it.

Bigsur said:
Bigsur said:
JackKey said:
You are too thick to understand the post, so don't comment on it.
You are the one who is thick who thinks a game company and create a 100% sim and by the way 100% is real life.

Sounds like DiRT 4 is going to be great!

I don't get those hostile comments: the developers answered the complains regarding Dirt Rally:

1. "DiRT Rally is too hard! Impossible to beat! I anger-quit countless times!" etc.:  they're implementing more difficulty settings and a training mode, the "DiRT Academy" or whatever it called. Beside that they keep the full-simulation mode for those who like realistic challenge. So making DiRT 4 easier fot beginners doesn't mean they reducing realism.

2. "Not enough stages! I know all of them by heart in both directions! Dirt Rally is booooring!"    It seems that they found an epic solution for this problem: stage generator where the player can tune his preferred parameters. I remember that months ago I've read that someone made a suggestion for a stage generator. I've thought it's a good idea but impossible to make it in the way to keep visual quality and driveability on the standards of a manually modelled stage. So it's a big surprise and in a good way.

3. "Damage model is not realistic enough!" - DiRT 4 will feature an improved damage model.

4. "Bring back truck and buggy racing!" - they've made it.

What I see is a developer team who is very responsive to user opinions. I don't worry about that DiRT 4 will be a watered-down Dirt Rally for kids with monster trucks - the devs know that DR is their best simulation they would be fool to throw it out from the window. :)

I've got one question regarding the stage-generator:
How will it work? I've got two theories:
1. Every location will have a huge pre-modelled map. A solid 3D object, with a solid road-network. The stage-generator sets courses using this road-network. It doesn't create a new location-mesh, a new 3D model, it just connects different waypoints on an existing road-network.

2. The stage-creator actually generates completely new stages, new 3D meshes.

Which method is closer to what we'll get in DiRT 4? I'm really curious!

well, we are talking here about track-generation and no live-routes.

it will either be completely procedually generated or assembled from small trac-parts with a procedual generated background.

AFAIK it works with a tile system, so that one tile can only be followed by some others, that means even mountains would be possible.

I can not understand why CM keep this mixure in Dirt series... I mean after the success oF Dirt rally is clean that many people likes pure sim rally games so... So codemasters should create a pure sim rally game called Dirt rally 2 (or to support the current one with more dlc tracks and cars) with ONLY rally mode with about 8 -10  locations and some rally cars and to make an other more arcade game with the rest offoroad types like landrush , rallycross , buggies , trucks etc ..
Then any player makes his choice..
How many play rallycross in Dirt rally?? Very few!Most people play the rally mode so RX is almost useless..(also becomes quickly boring with these small official tracks , the common sense is that RX was better in Dirt 2 - Dirt 3..)
I am not completely negative to DIRT 4 though , lets see what they definately offer us...

The one thing that put me off a little bit (initially) was the fact that there were no real-life stages... but their approach with this whole RNG thing makes so much more sense to me now that I think about it, and will certainly increase the longevity by a huge amount.

I can't wait to spend my monies on this title.
Someone may have a shot at beating you on a custom stage...wait no you're still blindingly fast. I was wrong.

wfwr26 said:
The one thing that put me off a little bit (initially) was the fact that there were no real-life stages... but their approach with this whole RNG thing makes so much more sense to me now that I think about it, and will certainly increase the longevity by a huge amount.

Someone may have a shot at beating you on a custom stage...wait no you're still blindingly fast. I was wrong.

Yeah, me too, loved driving Sweet Lamb ( Hafren forest in the old days ) in my old Mk 2 Mex in the early 80's, quite nostalgic doing it again in DR, in the Mk 2, just how I remember it, if it has gone then that is a real shame. Love the real life stuff not computer generated, but, I will wait and see.

Sound promising but missing the VR commitment, for sure I will not go back to 2D racing. R3E is now updated and rF2 has also VR in development. 

Super hyped, the create-a-stage feature sounds awesome. I am hoping there will still be the league system, and we can create stages for our league drivers to run.

I read that you'll be able to earn sponsors?
I'm hoping it's a system like Grid's, where you can pick a livery, custom colours for it and apply sponsors for particular goals and rewards. The end game should then be getting signed to drive for a factory team in either the WRC or WRX.

wfwr26 said:

Blindingly fast...ALT+F4'ing?

:lol:

zoliRX said:
wfwr26 said:
Blindingly fast...ALT+F4'ing?

:lol:

Is the track editor based around scenery from the locations within the game or is it possible to make totally unique stages with wide variety of scenery and surfaces?

Weather conditions: Is Dirt 4 going back to the blazing sunshine and dusty tracks of Dirt's 2 + 3 or is it continuing the varying conditions seen in Dirt Rally?

Multiplayer: Do Codemasters plan on expanding Dirt 4 multiplayer to all disciplines within the game?

But beyond the questions I have to admit that I personally loathe everything about Dirt's 2+3 and am still scratching my head as to why CM have decided to go back to this 'jack of all trades' nonsense displayed in these games instead of expanding on the Dirt Rally experience. Sure, if the track editor is ultra flexible then yeah, a wealth of tracks - but is unlimited random really such a good idea? Call me old fashioned if you like but in my opinion the age old format of xx amount of tracks containing xx amount of stages or ribbons to learn, master and challenge real people's times on leaderboards (or online) is by far the most satisfying format available for those who just want to be competitive against others. Randomly created/generated layouts are all well and good for 'race once' purposes against friends but you have to take into consideration that not all your friends are going to buy the game and those that do may be far more interested in the leaderboard offerings of the default stuff - so after the initial novelty value a scenario may arise where you're simply creating tracks to race against yourself. Trackmania (XB1) was exactly the same. The Golf Club (XB1) was exactly the same.....

I think CM have missed the point a little here when user feedback was requesting more content lol. A dozen unique locations containing longer, varied stages structured within the existing Dirt Rally format was perhaps what people were craving. With Dirt Rally, Codemasters put an exceptional game on the table purely and simply because it wasn't a generic 'something for everyone' game - it was a product that was dedicated to a specific type of gamer. The only real things wrong with it was that it was woefully lacking in content and wasn't exactly what you would call user friendly.

I do wish Codemasters well with D4 and i'm sure many will be excited about it's up and coming release but after Dirt 2 and Dirt 3 I simply cannot face just another donut in just another stadium ever again.

The track editor will not allow you to import your own custom assets into the game but will create random tracks based on existing assests using some clever wizardry (algorithms and stuff). In my opinion it will give more opportunities for players who don't have time to memorise the tracks to be on top. "A circuit drivers see one corner a thousand times but rally drivers see thousand corners one time."