Jump to content Jump to content

Why no virtual mirror for console??

They do affect the performance of the game (framerate), and they have obviously pushed and optimised the console builds to look their best while hitting their target fps (30 probably, not sure i dont have a console). By adding mirrors at this stage they would have to reconifgure all the other settings to hit the same framerate, which they are not going to want to do now at this stage.

On PC they dont have to do that, they just add it and the player can choose to use them and deal the fps, change some settings or whatever.

I do think it was pretty silly to not include the mirrors at the start of the project, i mean they market it as a serious authentic racer, but to do serious authentic racing you need to be able to keep an eye on the AI. If they had implemented mirrors at the beginning it would totally be possible for consoles.

Goresh said:

I agree EnsiFerrum, this notion that mirrors would affect fps is a joke. My guess is the time required to do things right would cut into what little profits this title has generated.

Are you serious? You actually think mirrors can be rendered for free? Does the PS360 have a dedicated mirror rendering card I didn't know about?

What exactly are you on about? I could list on both hands titles that include mirrors and fully working dashes and HD interior textures, all that mantain a decent frame rate. Titles that CM created too. But now all of a sudden, nope, can't be done. While you might want to believe this, I don't.

Yes Gary, you are correct, mirrors will affect fps slightly and I agree they should have been included in the beginning. I honestly think corners were cut to meet a deadline and a bug infested, half job was the result. Its a shame, this title had such promise.

I didn't say it can't be done, I said it's not free. You add mirrors into a game that's already pushing the hardware to the limit, something else has to go. Agree it should have been prioritised at the start, but disagree it can be added now (to console).

Goresh said:

What exactly are you on about? I could list on both hands titles that include mirrors and fully working dashes and HD interior textures, all that mantain a decent frame rate. Titles that CM created too. But now all of a sudden, nope, can't be done. While you might want to believe this, I don't.

Different engines, different tech. It's easy to say our older games did things but then they don't render the world in the detail that we do now. It's unfortunate but that's just the way it is. If we were to include them it would have been at a detrimental effect to the overall graphical fidelity of the game, as @GJ77 says, something else has to go.

Moving forward, our new engine, on new consoles, this won't be an issue.

Although the lack of mirrors is something I am disappointed with it isn't a game breaker for me and I just have to make do with the rearwards glance instead. Graphically this game is superb so I accept that it has been more resource hungry than for instance F1 2013 and the mirrors would have added to this. Enough to make it impossible.. well we just have to take their word for that as i'm sure they were aware that the omission was not going to go down too well so if it was possible you would expect they would have made sure to include it either at the start or by patching it in.

Well Loore, I can't argue with that logic, if flying birds is more important in a racing game than mirrors who am I to complain. I didn't buy Grid 2 because of CMs narrow thinking and Grid Autosport fooled me into thinking you saw that error. What will be omitted on the new consoles? Only time will tell.

Goresh said:

Well Loore, I can't argue with that logic, if flying birds is more important in a racing game than mirrors who am I to complain. I didn't buy Grid 2 because of CMs narrow thinking and Grid Autosport fooled me into thinking you saw that error. What will be omitted on the new consoles? Only time will tell.

Hey goresh u sure u even play the game? U obviously hate it by all your negative posts. Nothing CM would or could do would make you happy. 

I do agree with @Goresh‌ up to a point, though— if the reason for excluding mirrors from the console versions is simply “our older games don't render the world in the detail that we do now”, then to be honest, I’d rather have the mirrors and the old level of detail. It’s a racing game, not a rendering demo.

I guess I just remember the old Codemasters and expect better V8R3L3NTL3SS1. As for the "map a look back button" comment, do you even understand the importance of a mirror during a race? I'm guessing you don't even drive yet so no need to reply.

Thanks scottishwildcat for atleast seeing my point.

Goresh said:

As for the "map a look back button" comment, do you even understand the importance of a mirror during a race? I'm guessing you don't even drive yet so no need to reply.

This is why peoples' points can't be taken seriously online. They make the most absurd assumptions with absolutely no facts to give it any backbone. Get your facts straight before trying to put someone down. 

Goresh said:

I'm just baffled as to how mirrors in a racing game is such an odd expectation. Wow!!
It's not odd at all, I think we pretty much all expected it but it's not there so it's either get on with what we have or move on. Would I prefer to have it in there.. yes of course. WIll it stop me racing.. not a chance.
TUSMBOX said:
Given the small percentage of people that use the cockpit view in-race, it's a pretty minor detail.
I guess having never driven anything other than cockpit view in any racing game that had it I just assume that everyone does the same. Be interesting ot know the percentage of people that do drive that way. Personally I could never go any other way!!

I'm the same way, a working cockpit is a must. Without it the game is nothing more than a NFS style arcade "driving" game. Not a racing game. I am curious, does the PC version of the game have the coding to allow working dashes and mirrors? Could this work be done by a modding community?