Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which racing game is a true Sim Racer

Just wanted to get a feel from these F1 sim racers which racing game they feel is considered to be a Simulator Racing game?

I had a feeling that Assetto Corsa was going to win this vote !

They're all games, not simulators.

True/full simulators exceed the capabilities of common mass-market consumer hardware like desktop PCs & game consoles.

Some games attempt to reproduce more aspects of the driving experience (like selected physics) than other games, but they're all still just games.

Any software that is limited by the capabilities of common mass-market consumer hardware (desktop PCs, game consoles, etc.) will, by necessity, be limited in what physics it can attempt to mimic (both in number & degree).

True/full simulators are so costly to develop & require such specialized hardware that prices are prohibitively high & the customer audience is tiny.

Disregarding the above statement which is true, I would say Assetto Corsa within the limits of our hardware approaches the real thing. A pitty Iracing isn't on the list.

I would comment but i have to face a simple fact..i have no clue how a real F1 of F3 or sportscar behaves. So i can not tell you which game represents this the best.

I like the lower formula classes in Project cars, but the F1 sucks there and i prefer the F1 in F1 2016.

Last good F1 sim racer that i have seen was the GP series with extensive telemetry and setup options.

Found an old vid of this..this was 2002 guys..and this AI seems much better than F1 2016 ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mZZufUBy4Y

None of them, as it's already been very well said already.

The reality is, none of us know how a "true sim racer" would or should feel like. How can we compare it to something we don't actually do for real? As an example, driving an F1 car with whatever brand wheel you use on a monitor can't even compare to actually sitting in the cockpit with a real wheel in front of you, a real sense of speed and a very real sense of danger. No matter how "realistic" the game is, they'll never get close.

Real Simulator, gran turismo ! ;)
Allready at ps1 ! 

... nobody want f1 2017 as simulator,
It must be drivable without daily 5 hours training with a wheel!

In the choice given above. Its AAssetto Corsa , I wish CM and copy the tire model and physic into 2017

I'll get Assetto Corza when it goes on sale for about 50% off.

marsal79 said:
Real Simulator, gran turismo ! ;)
Allready at ps1 ! 

... nobody want f1 2017 as simulator,
It must be drivable without daily 5 hours training with a wheel!
I can drive properly F138 and SF15-T in Assetto Corsa, and I would like to have a F1 2017 as a simulator. Why not???
But I had choose the F1 2016 game as a simulator cause it has a "good" FFB (not at the level of AC but not so far away) but on contrast has a lot of issues like strategies, compounds, circuits, cars (yes, more basics than in AC) etc.

..rFactor 2. By far the most tricky/most rewarding handling. I don't think you could play that well with a gamepad, I tried. :D

This is a more difficult choice because it depends on platform, as the PC version of AC is different from the PS4 version (which is what I have). My sense is that AC is a better simulator on the PC given the reviews I have read as, for example, there are a lot more items to review for car setup, potentially identifying a more thorough physics model - particularly when you look at the UDP data output feeds between the AC and F1 2016. 

However the PS4 version of AC has some interesting problems. I just purchased the Red Pack to get the recent F1 Ferrari cars and there is no ability to set the rear wing (kind of an important car setup need). Also for the Monza track it only has one DRS zone (there are two), and that DRS zone is improperly laid out. This does not seem to be true for the PC version. 

Having played both on the PS4 - they handle differently. For example AC does seem to have better grip in corners - particularly slow ones. Which one is correct? Only a real F1 driver would know. 

As a result I would say for the PS4 version - F1 2016 is likely to be better as, for example, you can set the rear wing and the Monza track is correctly setup. On the PC version it maybe the other way around as the details for car setup seem to be significantly more advanced on AC.

Assetto corsa easily has the best handling physics. Makes you realise how weak and unsatisfying the force feedback is in f1 2016. If the Assetto team got the budget and time for an f1 game i think it would be superb. 

Haven't tried Assetto Corsa, but iRacing's physics feel very realistic, and their laser-scanned tracks are way more detailed compared to the ones in Forza.

Form a console perspective, I would say Pcars is a more "complete" sim like experience compared to the other titles on consoles. 

Assetto corsa easily has the best handling physics. Makes you realise how weak and unsatisfying the force feedback is in f1 2016. If the Assetto team got the budget and time for an f1 game i think it would be superb. 

But is intense force feedback what we are really after in a game? The fb in Project CARS is just too much with so very little going on in the tire to road contact area (Forza has that down pat).  If you're an F1 driver and you're new to the sport, then the simulator training experience (not a game) should afford that kind of intense feedback, but not for games we use. Sometimes I get tired within the first five minutes of playing Project CARS due to the intense feedback and nothing going on with the tire-to-road feel and physics.  But again, I'm not saying this for kudos, but F1 2016 is the BEST F1 gaming experience hands down on consoles.  Where the E23 in Forza Motorsport 6 is exhilarating like none other, I feel the tire model there is overwrought for sure. Take the same car in F1 2016 and the E23 IMO performs like it should in a game attempting to purvey real world physic given the limitations on the input devices such as wheels and controller pads.

But is intense force feedback what we are really after in a game? The fb in Project CARS is just too much with so very little going on in the tire to road contact area (Forza has that down pat).  If you're an F1 driver and you're new to the sport, then the simulator training experience (not a game) should afford that kind of intense feedback, but not for games we use. Sometimes I get tired within the first five minutes of playing Project CARS due to the intense feedback and nothing going on with the tire-to-road feel and physics.  But again, I'm not saying this for kudos, but F1 2016 is the BEST F1 gaming experience hands down on consoles.  Where the E23 in Forza Motorsport 6 is exhilarating like none other, I feel the tire model there is overwrought for sure. Take the same car in F1 2016 and the E23 IMO performs like it should in a game attempting to purvey real world physic given the limitations on the input devices such as wheels and controller pads.

You can configure the FFB in PCars to get a much better feel, but it's a lot of work. The E23 in Forza is awful, F1 cars don't break traction in 4th gear and the braking disances are ridiculously short, the DW12 is much more fun to drive because it feels more believable. 

The SF-15T in Assetto Corsa is second to none, but it's the only 2016 car in the game, and of course it's missing most of the tracks and rules of F1, and the AI is pretty bad.

I dont expect the ffb to be something like dirt rally but at the moment it is still a long way off what feedback should be. There is no feeling of what the car is doing. P cars is ok for force feedback but Assetto is a lot more involved and sophisticated. 

Hi,
I would love to try out one of the simulators of a real F1 team. How they compare to the PC "simulators".
If they are light years better or if we would say, "Nah, [game x] feels more realistic!"  :-)

I'm looking forward to see what F1 2017 brings in terms of improved haptics given the new formula requiring more downforce and aero speed.  Another thing that F1 2017 should do as a sidebar is to include the Hockenheimring and Nurburgring GP circuits in the game somehow, not part of the 2017 lineup but included in the game for Quick Races and Time Trials.

Dunky1980 said:
No Rfactor, iracing or raceroom on list???
I consider this is a list of games which are also on consoles/multi-platform. Both rFactors, iRacing, R3E, Automobilista are PC-only games, but honestly for me they are superior to the other games mentioned (let alone rF2, tried 2013 F1-type open-wheeler a few days ago, holy **** I forgot how powerful and great the FFB is, and handling is close to excellent), but then again, they don't have "spectacular graphics" (well rF2 will get a DX11 update soon) or "superb Career Mode" or something, but they can be run on pretty much any PC nowadays, also, mods/plugins/various tools.
EDIT: Censored out a word or two, also fixed some mistakes.