Sign in to follow this  

The "Moaning"

MUZZARIOL said:
Indeed, people do look back on GP4 with rather rose-tinted specs… it was a great game for sure, but it was incredibly buggy on release, there was no official online racing for "licensing reasons”,  some of the liveries weren't real, the framerate was locked etc. Modding solved some of that, but some of the file formats were so unfathomable that it was a couple of years before they really got on top of it IIRC. I hate to think how these forums would have reacted to all that :)

...and the fact that a loyal and passionate community thrives to this day despite all the shortfalls pays testament to the quality of those games.

It does, but that's all pretty much no thanks to Microprose. But I don't remember them getting half the abuse for buggy releases, inaccurate liveries etc. that CM come in for these days.

MUZZARIOL said:
Indeed, people do look back on GP4 with rather rose-tinted specs… it was a great game for sure, but it was incredibly buggy on release, there was no official online racing for "licensing reasons”,  some of the liveries weren't real, the framerate was locked etc. Modding solved some of that, but some of the file formats were so unfathomable that it was a couple of years before they really got on top of it IIRC. I hate to think how these forums would have reacted to all that :)

...and the fact that a loyal and passionate community thrives to this day despite all the shortfalls pays testament to the quality of those games.

It does, but that's all pretty much no thanks to Microprose. But I don't remember them getting half the abuse for buggy releases, inaccurate liveries etc. that CM come in for these days.

Thats because the Grand Prix series was purely balls out Formula 1 with no gimmicks.. people were willing to overlook the plethora of bugs because the games were (and still are) simply that good.. the console games of the era (and to an extent now, frankly) were a horrible "arcade" affair and completely watered down of any substance in comparison to the Grand Prix series.

The reason Codemasters are copping so much flack is because they never got the core gameplay down before adding pointless gimmicks. The push toward the casual market doesnt help keep the hardcore fans happy either. I dont buy the BS about sims being inaccessible, thats what assists and AI difficulty levels are for

and no ones mentioning Microprose, no one gives a flying fu¢k about the publisher or developer.. too many fanboys out there brainwashed toward brand loyalty. Why do you think Codemasters have steered away from making their F1 games look and feel like an F1 product? They dont want the game to lose its "Codemasters" feel, its all about brand recognition for them.

Look at Milestones recent MotoGP games... buggy as hell with borderline PS2 graphics but no one complains, because the games have heart and soul and are clearly geared toward fans of MotoGP and many people who werent fans before playing the game are fans now because the game captures the essence of the sport, something Codemasters have consistantly failed to do

I felt the same way last year about people moaning. But When you've got a company that says 2014 will be next generation 1080p 60 frames a second and then right when people were expecting to see the new game they simply turn round and say there'll be No next generation Formula One game this year, sorry but they can only expect people to moan, I really hope 2014 turns out to be a good game because if it's not I can't see many people trusting to spend twice as much money on F1 2015 in such a short space of time. And I can't really see how they are going to bring out 2015 early. Haven't they said time and time again they can't bring it out any earlier until they have proper data and proper car models to work on. Don't these updates they are talking about take weeks to come through Microsoft and Sony so how are they going to do that.

Well they haven't announced it as "F1 2015" which leads me and a couple of others I've seen on here to believe that it will have the 2014 season at release and add the 2015 season to the game as the year goes by. I can't think of any other reason why they wouldn't straight up announce it as F1 2015 otherwise.

ckevinc1 said:

I felt the same way last year about people moaning. But When you've got a company that says 2014 will be next generation 1080p 60 frames a second and then right when people were expecting to see the new game they simply turn round and say there'll be No next generation Formula One game this year, sorry but they can only expect people to moan, I really hope 2014 turns out to be a good game because if it's not I can't see many people trusting to spend twice as much money on F1 2015 in such a short space of time. And I can't really see how they are going to bring out 2015 early. Haven't they said time and time again they can't bring it out any earlier until they have proper data and proper car models to work on. Don't these updates they are talking about take weeks to come through Microsoft and Sony so how are they going to do that.

PC has had 1080P@60FPS since the first game

ckevinc1 said:

PC has had 1080P@60FPS since the first game

Well my pc runs the game at 1920 x 1080 with well over 60 fps doesn't mean a thing if the graphics are low. And yes they are low that's why the game needs mods to change the textures into high-rise, and the reason for that because it's been ported over from the 360 the sooner the old consoles are faded out the better.