Sign in to follow this  

And if you blow it.......???

Hi people...... Just had a thought about the new one lap race that determines your skill level, and therefore the difficulty level that the game chooses for you in career mode, depending on your performance in that 1 lapper... Say for example you are a seasoned pro at the F1 games, but with the changes to the cars this year we can assume the cars will handle quite differently. For this i can imagine that nearly all us pro drivers will make a few mistakes in this 1 lap, (It's been announced that this 1 lap race will be the first thing to do in the game) and therefore the game will choose an easier difficulty setting, thinking that due to our bad performance, we are a 'casual' gamer. So will this new 1 lap system actually work how it's supposed to? Or will we have to race career on an easier mode just for struggling in that 1 lap while getting used to the new handling model? Maybe a bit unfair no? What do you think?

I must admit this part doesn't make to much sense to me.  Surely you should practice on a track to get a good feel for the game and then have the option to run 3 laps where it will choose the difficulty settings for you.  TBH I'll probably change them manually after the first 3 races as it can be track specific

I believe you can change the settings afterwards, but I`m also sure you will be able to restart the race just incase you do mess up.

You can restart the process if you feel like your performance wasn't up to scratch. :)

Ok but surely that makes this new feature pointless if you can just readjust the difficulty level or restart the race if you make a mistake no?

Your first laps your going to be 2-3 seconds off until you get use to the handling so having this option first thing seems a little silly.... cant this be changed to an option once you have practiced hatta or is it to far down the road now?

If you mess up then it does not show your true pace. If you fun a full lap with no mistakes you can know where you really stack up against the AI.

Can you confirm Hatta if this feature monitors your performance throughout the game to adjust itself to a driver's particular level depending on thier results? Or is it decided and saved after the 1 lapper?

From what I have read its a one time deal first thing you do is this one lap to decide the AI performance...

This is nothing but a pointless gimmick. There is no point in it if we can 1. reset the race or 2. change the difficulty after. I don't want a one lap race where it selects the difficulty for us based on our result, it makes no sense to have one for numerous reasons

Personally I hate when games throw me into a race before even getting to a menu. One of the things I enjoy most is choosing exactly where (as in track) and how (as in car and mode) I first try out a new racing game, and not being able to even choose assists, HUD options, audio settings, or anything of the sort before being thrust into a race is just silly IMO. Having the game suggest a difficulty level for you based on that as if it's going to be anywhere near accurate once you choose the assists you actually want to use and get a feel for the handling is ludicrous. I'd really appreciate it if CM made this the first part of Career mode, not the very first thing that happens when starting the game for the first time, so we can at least customise some basic options and maybe jump into a Time Trial or something first.

APR193 said:

This is nothing but a pointless gimmick. There is no point in it if we can 1. reset the race or 2. change the difficulty after. I don't want a one lap race where it selects the difficulty for us based on our result, it makes no sense to have one for numerous reasons

Exactly my thoughts APR193............ Looking forward to the game but another pointless feature in the game..... Yet again what the people want is ignored, (Formation laps, P1 and P2, Poduim etc) but a pointless 2 minute feature that will only be used once is in the game....... Also within 2 minutes of creating this post with my questions Hatta replied to me.... but with all the negative comments now people have thought about this he is no longer to be seen...... Spooky! LOL :wink: 

i may have missed something here, but do you have the option to change the assists before you complete the one lap race?  i would like to be able to turn off TC and the dynamic racing line, and not having the chance to do so could possibly effect my driver evaluation ranking. 

Who thinks this content up anyway, wouldn't money be better spent on programmers instead of these gimmick masters...

mmpaw37 said:

I don't actually think it matters what happens within this 1 lap race. I read somewhere that you can change the settings after anyway, to suit your needs.

I hardly doubt the game is that intelligent enough to calculate a persons driving style and speed in just one lap!, I think its just to cater for the younger crowd, or those who haven't played these titles before.

But you've answered my question mmpaw37....... In the end this 1 lap analysis of your performance is a pointless thing if afterwards you can adjust the setting manually..... It defeats the object! I imagine it will calculate which difficulty you are by your lap time, similar to YDT before with the gold, silver or bronze award... but now it will just adjust the difficulty accordingly..... a pretty basic system really.

Hatta said:
You can restart the process if you feel like your performance wasn't up to scratch. :)

SO   whats the point in having this gimmick in the game then if we are just able to restart  again and again  I take it @Hatta‌   NO ONE  at CM  gives a flying you know what .what we the customers say or feel as each version of this game since 2010 (BEST VERSION EVER) has gotten worse year on year I can see this version 2014 being my last purchase from CM if I buy it at all  ...

All it is meant to do is give you a recommended difficulty setting to start with so you don't set the game too difficult or too easy for yourself. (It's been a while but doesn't Forza do something similar?)

It does seem a bit random but since people complained about the YDT (Which you were also forced to do before starting the career mode by the way) it appears they've decided to go this route instead.

It's shorter than the YDT and gets you started that little bit quicker. But apparently that's something to complain about.

All it is meant to do is give you a recommended difficulty setting to start with so you don't set the game too difficult or too easy for yourself. (It's been a while but doesn't Forza do something similar?)

It does seem a bit random but since people complained about the YDT (Which you were also forced to do before starting the career mode by the way) it appears they've decided to go this route instead.

It's shorter than the YDT and gets you started that little bit quicker. But apparently that's something to complain about.

Forza 5 doesn't but  the NFS shift games do so I know this isn't the first game to include this kind of system. I do agree with what you're saying though.

oeicoeic said:
Hatta said:

SO   whats the point in having this gimmick in the game then if we are just able to restart  again and again  I take it @Hatta‌   NO ONE  at CM  gives a flying you know what .what we the customers say or feel as each version of this game since 2010 (BEST VERSION EVER) has gotten worse year on year I can see this version 2014 being my last purchase from CM if I buy it at all  ...

CM listens to us. No need to get upset at the fact that it's impossible to add everyone's ideas into the F1 games, it's impossible to please everyone as the discs have limited memory.

As for being able to restart the race, that's great. CM was thinking a lot of "what ifs" for this. What if you accidentally wreck/get wrecked? Then you would have to start with the likes of Caterham. What if someone trips over the power cord? Once again, Caterham. I could go on with all of these potential scenarios, but hopefully you get the idea. Another possibility to consider is the handling - it's going to be completely different this year as CM basically redid F1 2014 by starting all over. It's going to take some time getting used to the feel of the car this year.

oeicoeic said:
Hatta said:

CM listens to us. No need to get upset at the fact that it's impossible to add everyone's ideas into the F1 games, it's impossible to please everyone as the discs have limited memory.

As for being able to restart the race, that's great. CM was thinking a lot of "what ifs" for this. What if you accidentally wreck/get wrecked? Then you would have to start with the likes of Caterham. What if someone trips over the power cord? Once again, Caterham. I could go on with all of these potential scenarios, but hopefully you get the idea. Another possibility to consider is the handling - it's going to be completely different this year as CM basically redid F1 2014 by starting all over. It's going to take some time getting used to the feel of the car this year.

YOU say CM listen to US   yer right thats why they shut down the forum last year without even putting up a post letting US  know plus they asked for feed back on the game and bug reports  etc etc and we got told that certain bugs where not there when they where and as for the 1 lap start of the new game CM  might as well do a forza 3 option and  ask us which AI  driver we want  to use and we sit back and let that  AI race for us F1 games are supposed  to be a sim racing game not just a dumded down arcade game ...

It's hardly surprising considering some of the posts that get made.

They said last year they've maximized what they can get out of the 360/PS3 versions so we shouldn't have expected 2014 to have any new content asides from updates and refinements to what is currently in the game. None of us have played it yet so for all we know, the physics and AI might well be vastly improved.

It is not unreasonable though to expect the highly requested features such as formation laps, TV mode while in the garage in qualifying, P1 and 2 etc. to be present in the next gen game since they will have the space to add more of these features.

On that last point: The F1 games are NOT meant to be sim racing games. They are meant to cater to every player of differing abilities which means an arcade game with sim features. There are games specially designed for simulation racing. Which, although they will probably be fantastic, will most likely not sell anywhere near as well as the official F1 games as they cater to a smaller crowd.

None of us have played it yet so for all we know, the physics and AI might well be vastly improved.

It is not unreasonable though to expect the highly requested features such as formation laps, TV mode while in the garage in qualifying, P1 and 2 etc. to be present in the next gen game since they will have the space to add more of these features.

We are talking about CM  here so the the physics and  AI  will be the same as every year online play will be the same as every year . Do you really think that CM are going to take the time and effort of rebuilding a game from the ground up  for F1 2014 as they have said their spending all their time now on the next gen version  which I for one aint buying as I aint paying £ 300 + on a NSA XBOX  just to play F1  next gen ...

The physics and AI have improved with every year so far (maybe with the exception of 2011) so it isn't unrealistic to think they will improve again. It isn't a matter of building the game from the ground up but improving what they already have for the 360/PS3 version. I don't expect a completely new game. That's for the next gen version, which they've already said they're starting from scratch, hence the extra development time.

They should have only done this as an option for career mode to see what teams you unlocked and to recommend a difficulty level. YDT should remain if u want to do it plus an interview like 2010 and testing in Bahrain and Jerez.

APR193 said:

If you don't know which difficulty to run the game at - take the evaluation test.

If you know which difficulty to run the game at - feel free to skip it. 

Personally, as someone who plays a lot of racing games, I'll go in and adjust the settings to how I like them. But that's me, I'm sure there will be a lot of people that would prefer to run the test and see the game's suggestion. 

Not allowing restarts and not allowing players to change difficulty post-evaluation would be awful in my opinion. What if I make a stupid mistake (that I never usually make) and the game sets me on easy. Are you telling me I should spend the rest of eternity playing the game on easy with no way of me changing? No, I should be able to restart and run a clean (and ordinary) lap.

The evaluation test is an option, you do not have to use it.