Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dirt Rally - config feedback

Hi all,

Recently I started playing Dirt Rally again and would like some feedback on my current setup/config:

- I am playing on a 21:9 g-sync monitor and used this fov calculator to figure out that my optimal in game fov setting is 0.5 (using the driver cam).
- Min fps is 90+ with in game benchmark; g-sync turned on.
- I turned off all the assists and the HUD.
- I use a xbox elite controller with force feedback set to 150% in game.
- The control scheme is set to default.
- The gearbox is set to automatic. I see all the good players are using a manual gearbox, but I can't get used to it.
- Voice of co-driver is turned off. I get distracted to much by his continuous flow of instructions (same goes for the onscreen indications).
- Advanced controller setup is as follows:
Sensitivity: 85
Linearity: 0
Deadzone: 5
the rest is at default

Goals:
- Winning a masters championship
- Ranking in the top tier on dailies/weeklies/monthlies

Even though I have enough disposal income to buy a steering wheel, I don't know if I will use it enough to justify the purchase.  I do like fantasizing about such a setup though ;)

Well, if you are going to meet your goals without a co driver you will have to learn every inch of every stage.

bogani said:
Well, if you are going to meet your goals without a co driver you will have to learn every inch of every stage.
You are right. Just finished a couple of races with the co-driver voice turned on and it wasn't as distracting as I remembered it being. That is good news.

I forgot to mention that when playing a championship, I don't restart because I like to train for the online events. This will probably handicap me when it comes to the first goal I mentioned. I also presume that some/most(?) players play with the assists on. I might be making it harder for myself to combine a realistic config (eg assists off) with my other two goals.

to get to the very top its pretty simple.as with most things its practice and effort and a bit of luck and skill thrown in.

the very top time people will mostly have 500-1500 hrs maybe more now.

i would say you would benefit from a wheel if you want to be really competitive time wise. some can do well on keyboard and xbox pads but generally they will be slower than a wheel user.

when dirt rally was first out i tried wheel vs xbox pad.on pant mawr and i couldnt get near my wheel times.after a whole day of just swapping between the two.

Wijkert said:
bogani said:
You are right. Just finished a couple of races with the co-driver voice turned on and it wasn't as distracting as I remembered it being. That is good news.

I forgot to mention that when playing a championship, I don't restart because I like to train for the online events. This will probably handicap me when it comes to the first goal I mentioned. I also presume that some/most(?) players play with the assists on. I might be making it harder for myself to combine a realistic config (eg assists off) with my other two goals.
I dare to say thats most people play with assist off.

In most cases, assists are either fully off or at least use ABS as some sort of anti-stall, like i do combined with TC off or 1 or 2, depending on the car.

assists generally will make you slower. obviously does depend on how well you can play without them on.if you really struggle then the aides may help you achieve a quicker time.

abs i always ended up slower.so stayed with all off.

Getting a steering wheel would help a lot, and it doesn't even need to be a fancy expensive one. Something like a used DFGT would do just fine (or even a cheaper 200°, as long as it has FFB). 
Without the co-driver, it would be really hard to reach your goals, he is, after all, telling you where to go and ignoring things like "Keep left/right, don't cut, etc." can end your race pretty fast.
As for automatic/manual, you can beat Masters with auto, it's just that you have more control with a manual. Some cars upshift too soon or don't downshift fast enough and you are bogging down. When you first switch to manual, it might seem a bit overwhelming with changing gears all the time, but once you get used to it, it becomes automatic (see what I did there :D)
Assists supposedly make driving easier, but for me they interfere with the driving too much and slow you down quite a lot, I actually find it easier to drive without them.

I've played for about 350 hrs with an Xbox 360 controller, it's definitely possible to be fast with a gamepad, so don't feel like you NEED to buy a wheel. Wheels are more fun if you've got a good place to mount it, but it's really more about the technique than the input device. I usually place in the top 200 in dailies (and have done so for a LONG time), which is well into the top tier, so it can definitely be done. I personally use Sensitivity 60 and Linearity 40, which I think is probably not a common setup but it's comfortable for me.

If you want to win at masters difficulty you're going to need the co-driver, simple as that. The effort it would take to memorize all the stages is just not worth it when there's someone sitting right next to you who's got you covered! As Didzis says, manual seems overwhelming at first, but when you get used to it you realize how frustrating the auto box can be, especially in stages with lots of climbing like in Greece. The auto box will hop up and down between gears instead of holding one gear, it's very annoying.

I turned all assists off right from the start and never looked back, they honestly do slow you down because rally is all about getting sideways, and traction control/stability control actively try to stop that from happening. ABS is a little more useful, but with it off, I don't have trouble with brakes locking except in the older cars. Even then, you can manage it easily, and I find it more fun having to be mindful of it (and also having control over when they lock up).

I have got to say I am a little bit blown away by the amount of responses in this thread. What a nice community this is!

I am currently trying to get used to the co driver; maybe figuring out the manual gearbox is next.

Will keep my eye out for a second hand racing wheel, but I should not have read about the fanatec high end gear. Man that stuff looks good!

Will keep you guys posted.

a basic dfgt 2nd hand will do you fine.you dont need top end stuff to be fast.if you are fast you will be fast .regardless.

Generally speaking, a Wheel gives way more cars/driving control, plus the immersion, comparing with a gamepad so, there's always a very high chance that you will be faster, with a Wheel.

But if one sucks at Racing Games, and doesn't care to improve his/her driving skills, putting effort into it, and practise a lot, a Wheel will not, magicaly, make you a faster, and better driver, overnight.

There aren’t a lot of second hand wheels for sale, so I am thinking about buying a Thrustmaster t300 rs. This wheel is currently on sale for 240 euro, which seems like a reasonable deal to me. Although the wheel gets good reviews, I hear that the stock paddle’s aren’t great. Maybe I can change me out later. No sure how I will mount the wheel. Maybe on a separate desk that I can move around; the wheel stand pro is also a (maybe more practical) option, but costs 130 euro. Any advice is much appreciated.

its a nice wheel for the budget.buying entry lvl anything you will have things you may like better or does it better but thats often because of the price.

the thing is will you be any faster with a more expensive wheel ? from my experience with top end to my trusty logitech DFGT.the answer is no. often on the higher end wheels you will be slower.obviously it will be more realistic though and more refined probably well made.

so yes a logitech wheel or a thrustmaster t300 would be a decent starting stage.without being to expensive.

I just installed my new T300 racing wheel and am back in the mini to help me get used to the wheel. In the T300 control panel I can select the degrees of rotation. The default is 900 and I currently have set it to 360 based on the Inside Sim Racing video I saw. I have also read a guide on wheel setup and the writer suggested 540 degrees. I am not sure what I should do hear, any recommendations are welcome. Also, man that force feedback is strong at default settings! EDIT: set the ff settings like the guy in this video suggested.

Ps I did ran the wheel calibration inside the game.

Myself, I started with 540 degrees rotation then lowered it to 360 degrees. Some people run more, some less.

Ultimately, set the rotation and FFB how you feel most comfortable. It's your game to play how you want :)

PS. Good choice of wheel ;)

Edit.

Just watched the video you linked. Myself, I would ignore all of it until you get to the Vibration and feedback settings at 5:50

I own a G27 and i use 360 degrees rotation and FFB very light ( i want to counter steer quickly and without putting at risk my wheel ). It all depends how you like/feel more confortable with, we are all diferent. Some prefer a strong FFB, others more light, more rotation, less rotation, etc.

You will have to try diferent Wheel rotations and FFB settings, till you find what suits you best.

tourque alignment is what throws most people off.lower it until it feels natural.