Sign in to follow this  

F1 2016 unplayably difficult -- What am I missing?

I've enjoyed previous CodeMasters racing games, and imagine I'm decent at them, but I get lapped every race even playing on Very Easy with the damage model reduced. I'm not missing corners; the other cars are simply much faster than mine. It doesn't help that my pit crew is nagging me to change my fuel mixture and there's no indication as to how to do this.

I wanted to like this game. It's certainly pretty, and I have every reason to believe that it's a realistic simulation with lots of options. I'm no stranger to putting in time to gain skill with a game, but the floor effect is so brutal here that there's no enjoyable sense of progress.

There are lots of gushing reviews on, e.g., Metacritic. Am I missing something or are these reviewers all just much more experienced racers?

More info would be nice. What car are you driving? What race distance? Platform? 

Change fuel mixture by pressing B and then change from "Standard" to "Rich" with the D-pad (Xbox One).

Well I couldn't say unless I watched you play...just watch some YouTube videos and see what you're doing wrong. Go to settings and take off braking assist and put on anti-lock brakes and traction control as well as pit assist if you haven't done these already.

Check out the advanced settings for your controller/wheel to see if you're able to press the throttle all the way down, if you're slow on the straights maybe that's the problem

peyt0n89 said:
More info would be nice. What car are you driving? What race distance? Platform? 

Change fuel mixture by pressing B and then change from "Standard" to "Rich" with the D-pad (Xbox One).
Windows 10, the default Petronas car and first two tracks (Melbourne and Bahrain) for the career, using a Logitech G27 wheel.

The controls are a frustration: the game never indicated "D", and in any case the buttons on the G27 are not labeled with letters. They have unmarked numbers, and of course images I've found on the internet disagree with the game about which is which. I also don't know where the fuel mixture is indicated in the HUD.

I can try to figure out by brute force which button controls fuel mixture, but frankly I don't feel like "you don't stand a chance unless you optimize your car settings" is appropriate for Very Easy. For high difficulties, sure, require an expert; the lowest level should be accessible to someone who has never raced before, IMHO.

I would happily RTFM, but I can't seem to find a manual! Is there one?

Mate...how much time did u invest in the game? 10 mins?
If you are that slow that AI cars are lapping you on Very Easy, with assists, damage reduced and G27 wheel...
To me that is mindblowing. Fuel mix for you isn't a issue clearly.

jamieeng said:
Well I couldn't say unless I watched you play...just watch some YouTube videos and see what you're doing wrong. Go to settings and take off braking assist and put on anti-lock brakes and traction control as well as pit assist if you haven't done these already.
Okay, I can try those settings changes.

Any recommendations for particular walkthroughs? A quick Googling turns up a few, but their advice is ranges from the not-quite-specific-enough ("Use the flashback feature"? How? The game never explains it.) to the very high level. I need something that tells me:

1) Here are the settings you have to change to stand any chance at Very Easy, and
2) Here's where to find those settings in the menus.

Of course, the driving is up to me, but I don't think that's the bulk of the problem here. Also, once again, expecting me to read third-party sources to truly master the game is one thing, but expecting me to play at the lowest difficulty level is another.

Wait a minute, mate. You consider yourself decent at racing games yet, you're being lapped while driving a Mercedes on 'Very Easy'?

Are you sure your wheel is plugged in?

Wait a minute, mate. You consider yourself decent at racing games yet, you're being lapped while driving a Mercedes on 'Very Easy'?

Are you sure your wheel is plugged in?
Something is very wrong. Throttle input issue? Half Throttle and assisted steer and brake? 

I still think it could beat Very Easy AI.

My advice would be:

1, go into time trial and mess with all the buttons and settings on your wheel so you know where everything is and what everything does.

2, watch Youtube videos of solid drivers: TheFlyingFinn, Tiametmarduk, Noble2909

If you are able to upload a video of your game play, I'm sure many people here would be willing to help.  

I think the OP is trying to stir up the hornets nest. I just tried very easy, without any effort or skill or planning, I was able to pass the AI drivers on the straights, out brake and out accelerate them in corners. OP, if your problem is genuine, please post a video of you playing and then we can help.  But it sounds like an input issue to me. 

FRACTURED said:
Something is very wrong. Throttle input issue? Half Throttle and assisted steer and brake? 

I still think it could beat Very Easy AI.
WE HAVE A WINNER!

I swear I did the calibration after downloading the new driver for the wheel, but I went back and did it again. The steering was already working fine, but now the throttle goes all the way up.

I ran a quick race (Melbourne, all defaults, Very Easy) and easily took first, as I and everyone else here would expect.

THANK YOU! Despite being and "obvious" problem, this was hard to diagnose. The car seemed to be working, and Googling "F1 2016 CodeMasters car too slow" didn't really provide any leads. We probably would have found it eventually if I posted a video and you looked my speedometer, but your instinct was correct. This game has moved from one I was about to abandon to one on which I will spend a great deal of time.

Now I'm going to restart the career on Easy or maybe even Medium...

Please don't tell me you don't know how to change assists and race settings...

And I would avoid using flashbacks because they take the fear factor out of being an F1 driver.

I realise I am late to the party but I am surprised at how many people have chastised the OP for his issues. I just tried the game out and I have played many other racers in the past and while I was able to grasp the basics and understand how to win races I found this game around 900 times more complicated than any other title I have played. All the various settings to calibrate and having to measure speed at various corners, fuel mix type, different tyres, tyres falling off ... Etc. It confused the hell out of me at first and even when I got the hang of it the sheer number of stuff that we are supposed to manage aside from just racing was a nightmare. For me at least. It ruined the game experience.

I expect a hardcore F1 fan like many of you must be would find all this a dream to play.

However, I much prefer a far more simple experience.

On 1/25/2020 at 2:53 AM, TDeans said:

I realise I am late to the party but I am surprised at how many people have chastised the OP for his issues. I just tried the game out and I have played many other racers in the past and while I was able to grasp the basics and understand how to win races I found this game around 900 times more complicated than any other title I have played. All the various settings to calibrate and having to measure speed at various corners, fuel mix type, different tyres, tyres falling off ... Etc. It confused the hell out of me at first and even when I got the hang of it the sheer number of stuff that we are supposed to manage aside from just racing was a nightmare. For me at least. It ruined the game experience.

I expect a hardcore F1 fan like many of you must be would find all this a dream to play.

However, I much prefer a far more simple experience.

Try PCARS setups if you think F1 is hard.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, steviejay69 said:

Try PCARS setups if you think F1 is hard.

Replacement 3rd party controller sales jumped after pcars came out....... 

🤣🤣

• Like 1