Sign in to follow this  

Camera Positioning

I thought I'd make a thread to do with the camera options in F1 games, and how you think they could be improved. Do you think there should be a helmet camera, where you can see the visor? What about the offset T-cams, should they be as close to real life as possible. It will be interesting to read your thoughts. I've also included a poll for fun really. Which camera position do you use the most in F1 games?

Meant to put cockpit cam, not nose cam :/

I like to see what the real F1 drivers would see, which is why i go cockpit. For replays T-cam is good, as i want it to look like im watching TV.

For me, the central T-cam is what I use the most, and I really like the positioning of this camera. However, I think that the offset T-cam can be improved. I think this particular camera should be as close to the ones seen on TV as possible. 

The cockpit cameras seem to vary a lot on F1 2013, and I can use some with no issues (Toro Rosso, Red Bull, Marussia, Ferrari) while I can't use others that much (McLaren, Mercedes, Williams), so I don't know if that's just me, but they could be closer in how they vary I think.

I use the off-set T-cam usually. No idea why but I go faster with it than I do with the standard T-cam. But some indeed need to be a bit closer to their real life counterpart.

I just dislike the positioning of the cockpit cameras in modern day cars. Anything classic or old however, it's gotta be the cockpit. Things like F1 1978 on rFactor, or even the classic 80s cars from F1 2013. It just feels ''right'' whilst the T-cams for the older cars feel very wrong.

"User" cam - you put the camera wherever you want it and at whatever Field of View and angle you want. SORTED.

I just dislike the positioning of the cockpit cameras in modern day cars. Anything classic or old however, it's gotta be the cockpit. Things like F1 1978 on rFactor, or even the classic 80s cars from F1 2013. It just feels ''right'' whilst the T-cams for the older cars feel very wrong.

Completely agree with you there. All the classic cars on F1 2013 I use with cockpit cam. As you say, the T-cams feel wrong on the older cars.

I use a slightly modified cockpit cam, which ends up making it feel more like the classic cars cockpit angle.

Cockpit always. I'd like more info (lap count, lap timer and/ or delta) so I can turn off the HUD entirely. With the new displays on most of the cars there's the possibility of that, but I'm guessing not until next year.

Completely agree with you there. All the classic cars on F1 2013 I use with cockpit cam. As you say, the T-cams feel wrong on the older cars.

Totally agree with this, I honestly beleive this needs to be changed.. but may have more to do with the geometry of modern F1 cars than Codemasters interpretation of the cockpit angles. All the F1 cars pre 1998 were wider and really seemed spread across the track like a spider, the front wheels werent as far forward and they generally seemed to have a shorter wheelbase and more width. Those cars from say 1988 - 1997 were far more aesthetically pleasing, especially before high noses started becoming mainstream. The FIA should steer toward those dimensions for the future, with all the gimmicks these days I doubt it would spoil the action and the cars would be visually more attractive and look more dangerous

I would use cockpit cam but on PS3 the framerate is unbearable. They could also improve the can by increasing the height a bit, you can't see much out of it atm.

Cockpit cam all the way, can't even drive at the same pace in T-Cam mode. Although you can barely see the wing mirrors in the 2013 Williams

How about a proper TV style directors cut for replays? and the ability to view a 1min replay at any time in a race from any car or camera angle so you can track whats going on. Or helicopter cam to replay a battle.

Its a joke that these games dont have a normal tv style replay, I had an Indianapolis 500 game from the early 90's that had a more advanced replay system than codemasters F1

I had that game also.( still do somewhere).It was on a 3.5 floppy and ran in DOS. Loved the sound of the Cosworth engine.

Rancie said:

I had that game also.( still do somewhere).It was on a 3.5 floppy and ran in DOS. Loved the sound of the Cosworth engine.

Yeah thats the one, it was actually pretty realistic.. If you lost control you could be involved in some pretty serious incidents, i had one that almost wiped out 3/4 of the field.. the replays were awesome too, I used to love watching the crashes from heli cam.. pretty sure you could save the replays too. Very very solid DOS game

Kinda showing our age aren't we. I was in my mid to late 20's when I drove that one.

I completely agree with the guys above me. Old-ass games have better features that most developers these days just don't want to spend money on, so they can save some and still get their sales. Most people don't understand this and that's how they get away with it.

more cockpit adjustability is needed,drivers do change their seating positions depending on the circuit,monaco for example,the drivers position themselves much higher for a clearer view of the track(fact).we should also have the option to remove the on screen wheel,theyve done it in gas!i cant use cockpit because im using a wheel whilst looking at a wheel,very distracting.

I'm currently using the T-Cam Offset and I really love it. However, it would be much more realistic if the camera you prefer would be permanent - meaning that when entering the pit lane, it would not switch to a different camera position.