Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2017 Weber BBQ Australian Grand Prix

Hughesy said:
Bit like you the other day then  :p

Nothing like 5 cups of coffee to make you feel wired, if it wasn't for the rest of my body I could probably run marathon. 

The Honda engine didn't blow up,  still extremely slow though. 

Rather surprising with the new regulations that Red Bull are so slow, Adrian has lost his magic. 
Nah, I'll save that for the day Lewis takes his 4th title ;)

Also, a lot of people are in for it for letting spectators on to the track so early on. Don't think that was supposed to happen.

Okay, I've calmed down enough to make a considered post. 

2017 looks like it's going to be a fun year. I've given out a lot of grief to Ferrari but all the credit in the world to them for their job today and over the winter. Can't quite believe the ground they've made up. 

Today's race wasn't great but overtaking is always difficult in Melbourne so I think we need to give it a few races to judge the new rules properly.

Also, Formula 1 is effectively a two tier series now. In a representative race with a normal strategy and no SC, there was almost a full minute between 5th place Verstappen and 6th place Massa. 

Not a classic race but I enjoyed it. Good bit of strategic intrigue and some decent battles throughout the field. And it looks like we're in with a good championship battle. I'm satisfied.

I think it's still a little early to say that there's gonna be a great championship battle. There certainly are promising signs though. I was glad to see that Vettel could hang with Hamilton the first stint. I would love to see those two battle to the championship. 

Not sure what was up with Hamilton. It raises some questions, is the tire wear that bad on the Merc? I'd think no because Bottas was fine. Has he not gotten to grips with the new tires yet? startegy didn't help him but was that because of him or the car? 

Still it's just nice to see someone be able to challenge Merc. Hopefully it's a good year. 

Btw for anyone who watched the Sky F1 coverage this weekend, how fantastic was Pat Symonds as a pundit/analyst? Hopefully he's at most of the races because he's a reason to now actually watch the pre-race show. 

Is Herbert gone for good? I hope so. Pat was fantastic, nice to have an actual expert. 

I was absolutely bladdered last night so couldn't keep myself awake to watch the race live, and as I had a busy day today I've literally just got round to watching the highlights!

In response to @Vettelfan, yes, Pat Symonds was absolutely fantastic. I've listened to him for a couple of years on the Motorsport Magazine podcasts, and he always has great things to say. Obviously it'll take him a few races to get used to being in front of the camera so often, but absolutely brilliant stuff so far.

And in response to @Hughesy, I don't think he is gone for good unfortunately. He was at the Sky F1 launch event a couple of weeks ago, so he'll be back. But how nice it was to not have him this week.

Back to the race, brilliant stuff from Ferrari and Vettel. What a turn around from last year. Everyone was saying Red Bull would bet he challengers but they've made them look silly. Superb.

Bottas really impressed me, to finish so close behind Hamilton at the first attempt. Really good. I know neither of them were pushing too hard and had more in reserve, but a great start.

Good performances also by Force India and Toro Rosso, both double points finishes. Solid effort for Massa, absolutely wiped the floor with Stroll this weekend. I haven't watched the whole race so can't comment much, but I heard that Stroll just looks really nervous and erratic behind the wheel. Apparently retired with brake failure, but just all weekend he's looked messy. But still, I think we need to give him a good 3 or 4 races to make a judgement. Melbourne's an odd circuit too, so he may go well at Shanghai or Bahrain, you never know.

Also, Antonio Giovinazzi, what a debut. Hardly any practice, only just behind Ericsson (a man with 3 years of experience now), and a good P12 finish in a car with an old engine. Brilliant job. I really hope this debut will be remembered like Vandoorne's last year in Bahrain. Late call to step in, delivers with a great result. He needs to be on the grid full time next year.

give at mucker a wee pat on the back eyo                                                                     

Stroll was erratic. Lots of missed apexes and twitchy steering movements. If Australia is a hint of pace, then the Williams is the clear 4th best car on the grid. Massa finished 6th despite having a vast deal of greatly superior drivers behind him. Would imagine a Bottas or an Alonso could've been somewhat close to Verstappen in that car.

Disappointed, didn't have Bruno Mars 'Treasure' opening in the video. You know the one...

'duh duh duh duh duh, BANG, gimme your gimme your gimme your attention baby'.

2/10