Sign in to follow this  

Kerb Issue

I'm honestly very tired of the kerbs in 2013. About 50% of the time I even come into contact with one, it spits me off and into a spin or a barrier. I'm very frustrated and would appreciate it greatly if Codemasters would do something about it. 

My question to the community is: have you had detrimental consequences resulting from contact with a kerb in an unrealistic fashion?

I'm honestly very tired of the kerbs in 2013. About 50% of the time I even come into contact with one, it spits me off and into a spin or a barrier. I'm very frustrated and would appreciate it greatly if Codemasters would do something about it. 

My question to the community is: have you had detrimental consequences resulting from contact with a kerb in an unrealistic fashion?

Yes. The players car seems to swing on an axis that virtually guarantees you are going to spin if any part of your vehicle makes contact with virtually any object other than perfectly flat black tarmac

Depends on your ride height. I usually set it higher and rarely get this problem unless I hit them too aggressively.

Depends on your ride height. I usually set it higher and rarely get this problem unless I hit them too aggressively.

Even with a higher ride height I still encounter this problem all too frequently.

Then it would depend on how you're hitting them. If you're going too fast or if you're accelerating as you hit the bump you're more likely to spin out.

They do need to be softer for the faster corners though (The middle section in India was pretty bad I seem to remember although that shouldn't be a problem this year).

I think the kerbs where okay in 2013. In F1 2010 it was a real pain though.

Bahrain is one of, if not the worst. Abu Dhabi is pretty bad as well, I just hate getting spit off without a chance of saving it.

kerb physics is one of the many things that should change with the new engine

Agree 100% - very irritating. It is actually caused by rear wheel acceleration at low speeds - if your rear tyre touches a kerb, it grips far too much and snaps the back end. All the Tilke tracks have these low speed tight/slow corners so they are the worst. 

It's prime cause is simply that CM have configured the kerbs to have too much grip.

Its odd as I have never had this issue as a full spin but I am able to control them however this could just be reaction speed and it is annoying to be pushing and it loses you a few tenths on a qualy lap

I think the kerbs in F1 2013 are fine to be honest, I don't have any problems with them. Maybe the odd spin every 20 races, but that's nothing.

F1 2010 was awful, especially Singapore, you couldn't complete a race without spinning.

I think the kerbs in F1 2013 are fine to be honest, I don't have any problems with them. Maybe the odd spin every 20 races, but that's nothing.

F1 2010 was awful, especially Singapore, you couldn't complete a race without spinning.

I agree as that was the first race after I got the game I wanted to try it but couldn't get round once in the practice session so I turned on all assists and i got round OK but still I'm wary of Singapore as if I jump in to a race with no qualy and then spin after a while I usually have no option but to restart so thats the only circuit I take flashbacks for

They aren't quite as bad as the OP says, but I've definitely had plenty of spins off kerbs that don't obey the laws of physics what so ever :)  Front ride height does make a difference at some tracks, but you still get the occasional crazy spin if you aren't careful with the kerbs, usually they happen in the same places and you learn to avoid them.  Hopefully the whole driving model is less hack, more sim in next gen which should help this a lot.

iceman153 said:

They aren't quite as bad as the OP says, but I've definitely had plenty of spins off kerbs that don't obey the laws of physics what so ever :)  Front ride height does make a difference at some tracks, but you still get the occasional crazy spin if you aren't careful with the kerbs, usually they happen in the same places and you learn to avoid them.  Hopefully the whole driving model is less hack, more sim in next gen which should help this a lot.

I agree, it's just the spins and spits that do happen are unbelievably unrealistic and should not be happening to such extents. However, I have just gotten my first wheel (Logitech g27) and am still adjusting to it. So maybe once I do get used to it I will be able to catch myself. 

I agree as that was the first race after I got the game I wanted to try it but couldn't get round once in the practice session so I turned on all assists and i got round OK but still I'm wary of Singapore as if I jump in to a race with no qualy and then spin after a while I usually have no option but to restart so thats the only circuit I take flashbacks for

Yes yes yes 100% agreement!

Curbs are as they should be.  I can guarantee that they do not spin you 50% of the time you are in contact with them.  I'll assume you are exaggerating to make a point.  In 2012, they had no effect on the car and people bitched up a storm on the old forums.  Now they have an effect, you just have to learn to deal with it.  Learn which ones will punish you in practice and which ones you can be agressive on. 

There are a few curbs that will mess you up if your too far over them or if you spin your tires on them.  The way I deal with them is to be conservative on the bad ones.  You can decide how much you want to push it.

The curbs people are talking about I believe are the exit curbs at Bahrain and Abu Dhabi that have ruts where your tires end up getting caught in like a ditch. If you drive straight and stay in them you are ok but if you try to quickly move the car that's when you get the crazy spins.  So that's the unrealistic part.  Even ride height doesn't really help that because it's a tire getting stuck issue, not really the chassis bottoming out 

I had it happen at Hungary in scenario mode last night, too. Coming out of turn 3 the exit kerb threw me back into the middle of the track, like, it pushed the car sideways.

Curbs are absolutely fine. I use to drive with little space between car and track. Never a curbs did spin me round ! If you spin you just cant drive, dude :D .

The kerbs are NOT fine - they overgrip unrealistically. Do 100% race Abu Dhabi no traction control then say they're OK.

The kerbs are NOT fine - they overgrip unrealistically. Do 100% race Abu Dhabi no traction control then say they're OK.

I have and they're fine.... Setups and driving style/ skill level come into play. Hitting a curb wrong can unsettle the car just as it would in a real car. Go play some actual sims and you'll find it's the same. ;)

Okay, so when I just barely touch the exit kerb on the turn after the back straight at Bahrain, with just the slightest little knick, my car should be reeling out of control and almost in a spin?

Yes.

Perez and Vettel both did that at Hungary this year.

If you're spinning off curbs then you're applying too much power.