DiRT Rally 2.0 - New Player Guide Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

being taken out constantly online due to lack of visibility... Loore please help!

Hi all

enjoying the game, career's fun, racenet challenges are great and online racing should be too... but it's being ruined (for me at least) by constant crashing/ramming/being taken out.  I assume most people aren't deliberately driving me into the wall (though there's presumably some that are) so it must be mainly accidental.  Not talking about getting hit from behind, which is common - I can see that could be down to not knowing the track, missing a braking point etc, irritating but pretty understandable.

What really grinds my gears is being wiped out at corners through no fault of my own and I put it down to a lack of all-round visibility - Cockpit cam's my view of choice but it's like trying to drive looking through a letter box - no peripheral vision and no mirror (yet).  I only have one monitor and am not able to go multi or superwide.  Unless you're spamming the look-behind and side view buttons you've very little idea where anyone else is (and to be honest I have enough trouble getting round corners already without trying to see where you are!)  I try and take my line and bam - accident.  Either I drive into them or they drive into me but neither of us sees the other til it's too late and we're in the wall.

I don't find the proximity arrows much use as they only seem to work at very close range and mainly toward the back of the car.  Can they be enhanced to work further round the car at the sides? 

maybe a little onscreen topdown view would help, like you get in FPSs?

I know the simplest solution is for me to change views to chase cam as you get more all-round visibility but that's not driving IMHO

Anyone else similarly frustrated???

thanks

Ric

Yep I agree, some people completely fly into tight turns sometimes. At times I see that wee little white arrow light up super fast so I don't turn in. And I tend to side swipe down straights too. And yeah I press the look back/side buttons heaps haha.

Unless you're spamming the look-behind and side view buttons you've very little idea where anyone else is (and to be honest I have enough trouble getting round corners already without trying to see where you are!)  I try and take my line and bam - accident. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sorry to tell you this, but if your going to use a restrictive view such as bonnet cam, or bumper cam, or in-car view,  then its up to YOU to spam the camera views, and be aware of who and what is around you. 

Using bonnet cam, you say your being taken out, trying to take "YOUR" line.      Maybe if you were not in bonnet cam, you would see there is a car near you,   and "Your" line is maybe going to cause some contact.  

Taking me out, and telling me " Sooorrryyyyyy Im in bonnet cam"   Wont stop me nailing you deliberately, and then saying,  Sorry im in chase view. 

yes I appreciate that, that's why I'm asking the question.  I don't want to take anyone out and I hope most people feel similarly, but I don't want to drive in chase cam cos to me that's not driving

I guess you'll just have to find a middle way. I drive in bonnet view and don't see any other drivers either, unless they are at least a 3rd of a car length in front. But so far I hardly had any crucial incidents, unless someone else deliberately hit me.

And for that case I follow the simple rule 'better safe than sorry'. :D So if I know there's someone beside me and I can't see him, it depends where the next corner goes. If I'm on the inside, I try to take the corner very close. That might take up some time, but it avoids contact. Other way around on the outside, I take a wider line and definately won't aim for the apex, cause that WILL lead to a collision. That works for most drivers, that are ok but usually 1-2 seconds slower on a lap than me.

If people are faster or on the same pace as me, I expect them to know how to drive and usually that works out well, too. They don't try to overtake, when there's no realistic gap... they back down, resulting in both of us getting quicker through the corner. Same for me. If I see, I cannot pass one clearly I go off the throttle and get in the queue, taking another try in the next passage.

I know that might sound ridiculous for some, but sometimes slower is faster. :D Don't force yourself in front if you see that there's a high chance of being taken out. Just take a look at real racing. Two cars going side by side through a corner usually doesn't end well. At lest not in series with GT cars and lots of amateurs and semi-pros. They have seats that don't let them see to their sides either, so they have pretty much the same problem... -> If a car is right beside you, you won't see it in the side mirror anymore, but due to the huge protective 'wing chairs' you don't have a clear view either.

There is contact though, but it's not more than nudges that don't hurt the pace or the car. So I guess it's down to drive smart, better lose one position than the whole race, be patient, be safe. It works for me most of the time. Sure I get occasionally taken out by some guys waiving around the track like mad, but there's nothing you can do about them.

trouble is, in my experience of this game not many people behave like that.  Mostly the attitude is "the line is mine, out of my way..."  Combine that with the restricted view you get from dashboard cam and the result is frequent carnage.  Maybe a sim like assetto corsa has a more sensible userbase who drive better?!

I submit that the above idea of a small window on screen that shows a top down view would become the norm in racing games going forward. That would trump mirrors any day for positional awareness on a single screen. One can hope. It could be simple vector lines for all I care to keep the graphics load down. 

@Yellowpinkie‌ 

In that case give up the position and try it in a corner where you can't loose, like brake-blocking into a hairpin. You might have contact then, but on the inside in worst case the other one will spin, not you. Always assume, your fellow mates are stupid apes (apes that are stupid, not apes in general :D ) and act accordingly. I do the same driving in the city or on the autobahn and it saved my car (and probably my life) a couple of times and spared me of any accident in 10 years so far.

can't very well give up a position if you don't know they're there, which is really the crux of the issue for me.  And in the instances where I do know they're there, why should I give way and let them through just in case they're driving like a moron?!

And by the way I'm not trying to suggest that I'm super-skilled and never hit anyone, I'm sure I'm as bad as the next man but it's never deliberate

Terdhat said:

I submit that the above idea of a small window on screen that shows a top down view would become the norm in racing games going forward. That would trump mirrors any day for positional awareness on a single screen. One can hope. It could be simple vector lines for all I care to keep the graphics load down. 

With equal size blocks representing the vehicles changing colour from green slower through to red being faster, orange being neutral.

We can hope.

People that RACE in CHASE view aren't REAL DRIVERS... Yeah I just said that! Prove me Wrong... You can't Unless you drive your REAL car by remote control sitting 6 feet behind it. Chase View is only for people that like to Block and Wreck others! I've driven real race cars and if you use Cockpit view you will have to deal with limited visibility. Thats why most motorsports have Spotters. But ultimately its up to you to know where other cars are in relation to you and expect cars to be there if you make a mistake or get off line. 

@Yellowpinkie‌ 

The indicators on the bottom screen do help with that. If they're there you know someone's close. If they disappear right before a corner you can safely assume that driver will be next to you now. Give way or take a wider line... as I said, better safe than sorry. Your race is most likely ruined if you're pushed out, so you want to avoid that. And honestly, if one has the inner line of a corner, what would you do anyway? A wider line is the best way to defend your position in the next corner.

I always drive that way in the 1st lap, if I don't know the people I drive with. I take the impact rating into account aswell. If they are white/green I can assume they drive fair and I stick more to the race line. If one is yellow, I'm way more careful and take my views around more often. If one is red I don't even bother trying to defend it he's close. Let him pass and take him in the next corner. Most times these aren't fast enough to keep up with you on the corner exit and you're safe. I might lose 3 seconds, but I'm still in the race with an undamaged car.

@mikevoltz1

Generally I agree. Chase view feels ridiculous. BUT in GRID1, after some time, I always used that online, just due to the ability to drive closer races. without hitting anyone. As we had close pack racing due to almost same abilities that was more important to me. But I guess that's off the table now, simply because the lag isn't there anymore.

If I see another car on the track, it is exactly there now. Back in the old game you went on the line of one other close in front of him and he got pushed out, without you actually hitting him on your screen, due to lag. If you got pushed it was like with the AI now, they felt like a brick wall, as this was a position, that driver already was in a tenth ago and you couldn't 'change' it, so that other car was a 'fact' that you couldn't alter.

People that RACE in CHASE view aren't REAL DRIVERS... Yeah I just said that! Prove me Wrong... You can't Unless you drive your REAL car by remote control sitting 6 feet behind it. Chase View is only for people that like to Block and Wreck others! I've driven real race cars and if you use Cockpit view you will have to deal with limited visibility. Thats why most motorsports have Spotters. But ultimately its up to you to know where other cars are in relation to you and expect cars to be there if you make a mistake or get off line. 

Guess I'm a "FAKE" racing game player just like cockpit cam with video games is "FAKE" . Imo I don't want to look out a tiny hole and try to race it's boring . As far as you generalizing that Chase cam are for blockers and rammers well your wrong there . I let people pass me that are faster , I pull over at the first turn and watch all the idiots slam right thru the turn and Jack each other up. Then off on my merry way. 

don't want this to get silly, each to his own.  Having said that I would have thought that chase cam would give you more awareness of cars to the sides and behind than cockpit, so driving against people in chase cam is presumably better, but I don't want to drive like that. 

Loggy said:

Terdhat said:

With equal size blocks representing the vehicles changing colour from green slower through to red being faster, orange being neutral.

We can hope.

Or maybe the blocks could have the colour of the driver's impact rating so you'd know who to avoid?

This might sound like I have never raced before but I use far chase cam (except in F1 and the Indy Cars I use T-Cam) and the only reason for this is that I can clearly see who is around me at any time. I have tried driving "in car" options but always feel smothered and have no sense of awareness of other drivers. I do quite well with these settings as I'm 50% podium online with an 18% win ratio (open lobby suicidal racing league...), no assists... unless you consider far chase cam an assist...haha 

See, with chase cam, you have a 360 degree view at your disposal, plus you can see what's immediately to the left and right of you. So if I'm a fake racer because I have a much clearer view, well.......so be it.

The view doesnt matter at all..I use a wheel and cockpit but that no more makes me a real driver than anyone else because none of it is real. It's a game remember ? 

TUSMBOX said:

See, with chase cam, you have a 360 degree view at your disposal, plus you can see what's immediately to the left and right of you. So if I'm a fake racer because I have a much clearer view, well.......so be it.

I see your argument. You play a Game and that is all it is to you. And that's fine. My point is if you drive a real race car your view is limited by roll bars, A-pillars, B-pillars, C-pillars, Seats, and Hans device. So all you have is mirror and in some cases a spotter. Now we don't have a proper mirror so it is what it is. But you can't justify it being a realistic driving experience if you race Chase View ( 3rd Person). If you enjoy that than Mario Kart is just your speed! 

Who is trying to justify it as a realistic experience? We're not driving a real car, it's all polygons, bro. The driving physics are not real, like, at all. Also, I'm playing with a pad, so, again, not real, like......at all. But, you can go on ahead on your high horse, thinking you're better than everyone else with your childish insults. The rest of us will play the game how it was intended to be played, which is however the hell we want. 

trouble is, in my experience of this game not many people behave like that.  Mostly the attitude is "the line is mine, out of my way..."  Combine that with the restricted view you get from dashboard cam and the result is frequent carnage.  Maybe a sim like assetto corsa has a more sensible userbase who drive better?!

Totally agree,      I've said that a few times in the past, concerning Grid 2.  I dont put up with the "outta my way" attitude.  Walls and kick votes, help with these people. 

Its not the game, its definately the players. Forza 4 doesnt have the same quality of noob. Stick around, most of them will go back to Grid 2, or Mario Kart  

The only way to deal with these crappy players is to nail them back.  You have to show them, they cant treat you like your an A.I.    Smash Nathan McKain all you want, but dont do it to me,  lol. 

If I take the trouble to race clean, and avoid contact with someone, I expect it back.  

There are good, clean and fair racers out there.  (speaking from experience on Xbox 360 )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ld2XhW7d4b8

Trouble is,  This is a game, and you cant compare driving a game, and driving a car in real life.  

When im in a real car,  I can see through the windows, and Ive got working mirrors,  and I can also see out of the corner of my eye.  Also I can turn my head. 

When driving in-car view in a game,  using 1 TV,   all you have is a picture, of the view from in the car,  You cant use mirrors (G:AS), You cant see out of the corner of your eye through the side windows.

The roof is in view, the side pillar is in view,   Lots of crap filling the screen, and only a small area showing me the track.    Try driving your real car with a half  letter box stuck to your face.  So your blocking 65% of the available view.   

I dont care what view people use, its each to their own, what ever works best for you, etc.   I just dont want to hear someone blame their view for the crash they caused.    

:smiley: