Sign in to follow this  

AI

F1 2013, career mode, Marussia. Expert AI. Finish 6th or so in Aus. The rest of the races, exactly 18th. Why? The game WANTS me to finish there, so it makes an enormous gap between the 19th and 17th cars and caters the pace to set me in that position. I'm sick of it, honestly. I've never played with such a rigged and scripted (don't you dare say it's not) AI system. 

Every single game ever created is scripted, because someone has to write the code to allow such and such outcome. Variables may change but the output is the same. No developer has thought or, much less, delved deeper into AI creation. I want this to change.

So, my task to Codemasters is this: make my AI woes disappear. Do something magical and fantastic. Make the best, most advanced, and most complex AI system for your games. Give your games what they deserve, and even more, give your fans what they deserve.

You're slower than most of the pack because you are driving a Marussia. That car is supposed to be hugely slower than the main pack, that's how it is in real life as well. If you don't like finishing between 19th and 22nd every race, don't drive for Marussia or Caterham and instead pick one of the other available teams.

But yes, the AI needs some work. They're far too reluctant to outbrake the player still and the pace of teams and drivers need to be much closer and less predictable. (To use 2013 as an example; we shouldn't always see Hamilton, Vettel or Alonso on pole, usually about half a second faster than their team mates, Raikkonen always 7th and the gap between 11th and 12th being far too big) It's resulted in 100% seasons where Toro Rosso and Williams score no points and Force India only ever scored if the leaders retired.

Then why am I doing so well in Australia all the time?

Wynterdust said:

You're slower than most of the pack because you are driving a Marussia. That car is supposed to be hugely slower than the main pack, that's how it is in real life as well. If you don't like finishing between 19th and 22nd every race, don't drive for Marussia or Caterham and instead pick one of the other available teams.

But yes, the AI needs some work. They're far too reluctant to outbrake the player still and the pace of teams and drivers need to be much closer and less predictable. (To use 2013 as an example; we shouldn't always see Hamilton, Vettel or Alonso on pole, usually about half a second faster than their team mates, Raikkonen always 7th and the gap between 11th and 12th being far too big) It's resulted in 100% seasons where Toro Rosso and Williams score no points and Force India only ever scored if the leaders retired.

On a positive note, this game is incredibly more fun with a wheel and I am absolutely loving it much more than I ever have with a pad.

Its because in 2013 they really suck on aus for some reason. There a few tracks that the AI are really slow then others they are far to quick (for the wear they should have on there tyres) Off the top of my head aus,spain,canada,monza,spa and singapore the AI are to weak then places like india,china and korea they seem to have amazing pace at the end of each stint. Like someone said in a marrusia 18th is where they normally race so it will always be lonely race if you are not able to keep up with the pace of 10th bk. I think torro rosso is the next best team so maybe try them and you should have a good few top 10s through the season. Could either drop the diff to get better places or try a few gp races and see which team you can race where you want to be.

2014 will be the acid test for Codemasters, realistically Mercedes should dominate every race with Red Bull or Williams there to capitalise on their (relatively) high tendancy to encounter reliability problems.

If Codies don't get this right they'll have some explaining to do. I had a season in 2012 where Perez won the championship with Kobayashi 3rd, Sauber comfortably Constructers champions. Makes you wonder if they'd watched any footage of the 2012 season other than the Malaysian GP

The AI s*** indeed OP, just to put it simply. Have been slammed for good too in some corners, or even straights?, it is another big classic when It comes to this AI. It is completely blind; can't detect your current location 90% of the times, thus it rams you constantly.

They copy/pasted this AI into Grid Autosport btw. So If you really hate this AI, like most of us do, stay away from this game too.

MUZZARIOL said:

2014 will be the acid test for Codemasters, realistically Mercedes should dominate every race with Red Bull or Williams there to capitalise on their (relatively) high tendancy to encounter reliability problems.

If Codies don't get this right they'll have some explaining to do. I had a season in 2012 where Perez won the championship with Kobayashi 3rd, Sauber comfortably Constructers champions. Makes you wonder if they'd watched any footage of the 2012 season other than the Malaysian GP

yeah but in 2012 the game was programmed to shift the teams about a bit to give the game a bit of randomness I think.  2010 11 and 12 were all programmed this way apparently they removed this from 2013. Which I personally felt was a silly idea really as I enjoyed the randomness it often provided. I had a season where Marussia came on strong and were in the points pretty regularly too. I started mu career with them in that career I ran I thought they'd fade back but they didn't they were pretty solid for a good couple of seasons.

Man, this Is so annoying, always played legend, right from 2010, had enough time to win d wdc in 2011, now I am considering switching down to expert on Career, like d poster said, ausi has been my best race in S2 finished 7th in a sauber ahead of hulkenburg...  All others been struggling to make the top 15, will be matching hulk in some sectors or even faster but for some reasons there will always be a sector were I loose about a second to him, in practice, and in the race they always seem to just shoot away into the distance, the worst was the last sector in bahrain' I just can't wrap my head around why I would be loosing a second in a sector that's made up of two straights and one bend. Another thing is I struggle to match my practice pace in quali... It's like the car gets slower or something during quali, I switch to gp mode and I am trashing my team mate on legend... Same setup, same car...  It's really frustrating, also the a.I. Don't seem to have tire wear issues.. Or maybe I just ain't as good as I thought,  any1 with tips on when to tone down from legend and when to move up from expert?
Personally I think career is rigged.... What a shame...

F1 2013 Drivers Ranking and Starting Grid!

12th:Gutierrez

13th:Di Resta

14th:Sutil

Race

AI team:Safety car in this lap! Box! Box!

AI:OK.

Also whats with the locked tires, starting the race with 2 brand new options but only get access to 1... 

stiker said:
Also whats with the locked tires, starting the race with 2 brand new options but only get access to 1... 

I think it's because we only have 1 practice session.

Hey Sandra, how r u? Love ur movies B),  well that's their decision not ours so they should open up the tires, my car might have had issues on friday and I might not have had any running, and still have all my tires

stiker said:

Hey Sandra, how r u? Love ur movies B),  well that's their decision not ours so they should open up the tires, my car might have had issues on friday and I might not have had any running, and still have all my tires

Yeah I wish all the tyres were available to use.

Has any1 experienced a scenario where by u can have a loss of power in the game, although you a going full throttle,  u don't get full power?  Happens mostly on straights, at least that is where I notice, or could it be my G27 developing a fault? Used to happen to me on 2012 as well... Also in the Drs zone I press the button and Don get the Drs even in practice,  till I tap the brakes and push the button again....

Check your engine in the garage. The games quite unpredictable with what engine it gives you. Sometimes it gives you a fresh one, but most of the time it doesn't. I remember getting careless for the first six races in 2012 and didn't check whether a new engine was being used and the AI was swamping me down the straights. Turned out I'd used the same engine in all six races and had about 50% of that engine left.

Check your engine in the garage. The games quite unpredictable with what engine it gives you. Sometimes it gives you a fresh one, but most of the time it doesn't. I remember getting careless for the first six races in 2012 and didn't check whether a new engine was being used and the AI was swamping me down the straights. Turned out I'd used the same engine in all six races and had about 50% of that engine left.

Thank, but I doubt it's that, in Hungary S2 now? And the engine I am using is still about 91%...