Scheduled Updates and BETA Shutdown - 06/07/2020 Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

[VIDEO] F1 2014 Bahrain Hotlap

Well firstly, thank you @Hatta for the hot lap video.

I must admit, I'm quite a bit underwhelmed, but it's almost to be expected. How much more can they possibly get out of the last gen consoles? I'll start by saying the car itself looks like it doesn't belong on the track. It's a bit hard to describe, but to me it looks like the car and the environment each have a different graphic fidelity that doesn't match; therefore it appears the car has been pasted onto the environment (if that makes any sense lol). Also, it's clear I can see "polygons" on the car. Such as the tires, and the white line that separates the red from the black on the car. But then again, it's old gen tech and almost every game is like that. Still though, nothing magical about the Ferrari in this video, whereas the car in real life is a thing of beauty (my opinion of course).

Next, the environment. This is the most disappointing aspect of the video. I simply cannot believe how bland it is. Yes it's at night (which doesn't look too impressive anyway), but anyone who's watched a night race at any venue that holds night races knows how gorgeous a track is under complete flood lighting. And that's where I think the problem is...the lighting. The old gen just isn't good enough to support the type of realistic lighting we've seen already in next gen games. And I think that's what really makes or breaks the immersion of a game, it's all in the lighting. Bahrain in this video has no vibrant color or depth to it; it's just very very dull. I might even go as far to say this sort of level of imagery of a track is on par with something we would have seen in the very first year of Xbox 360 or PS3...it's that's bland!

As for the audio, well I've never heard the new cars in person and have only heard them via television, so I can't really compare since watching on TV doesn't give a true sense of what the cars actually sound like. However, I will comment that upon the first listen, the rev pitch is just way to high. It's almost distracting to the point where it might not be enjoyable to drive extended periods of time in my racing simulator with full surround sound.

In the end, it's still an old gen game and expectations have to be kept realistic. There's only so much that can be done at this point, and we have to accept that. Hopefully Codemasters are addressing all of these issues and making the next gen game truly next gen. I'm hoping this was the reason for the shift in game releases. Either way, this video does not excite me in any way, and I will probably not be purchasing F1 2014. 

Edit: Ah I forgot to add, @Hatta can you at least request the creators of these videos to make them in 1080p? Showing them in 720p isn't doing anything to help your cause lol. :)

Recon1k said:

Edit: Ah I forgot to add, @Hatta can you at least request the creators of these videos to make them in 1080p? Showing them in 720p isn't doing anything to help your cause lol. :)

No offense.

But what would be the point of making the vid in 1080p when the game comes in 720p ? We costumers will only get a false opinion of the graphik.

Do I see correctly, are there an air deflectors on the driver's helmet? In F1 2013 all helmets were just identical "old shaped" helmets on the track, are there any differences between driver's helmets this year? Is there any difference between Alonso's Schuberth and Kimi's Bell, like in real life, for example?  I also saw Arai-styled air deflector on Sutil helmet in this screenshot https://www.facebook.com/formula1game/photos/a.10152242720952060.1073741905.74881132059/10152242721272060/?type=1&theater . What do you guys think?

@Hatta When making your own driver, how the helmet selection works this year? Are there any new things coming, like differently shaped/different manufacturers helmets?

Looks like I'm the only one here which has been disturbed by helmet designs last year. The cars looked pretty good, but the helmets were just horrible except in short cinematics after the sessions. 

Recon1k said:

No offense.

But what would be the point of making the vid in 1080p when the game comes in 720p ? We costumers will only get a false opinion of the graphik.

The PC version will be able to output way above 1080p, and that video (no matter how good/bad the graphics look) was almost certainly recorded on PC, so yes they should have uploaded 1080p res.

They always record on PC will all the effects turned up to max, which is understandable, as they want to show their product at its best. But if you think thats false advertising, just look at any other game trailer for a console, every one will almost always rendered on PC.

the sound is nice...as someone said, who had ever been in the circuit to watch the race know that what can be heard o tv is NOTHING like the real thing.

But my point is the graphics..Theres no evolution at all since 2011...I know they are already on the limit...but it seems REALLY outdated...

Like a lot of other people I’m sure, I’m seriously fed up with the same daft swoopy camera replays in every Codemasters game now. When I’m watching a replay of an exciting overtake I don’t want it to suddenly switch to a close up of my front wing ffs.

They had really better be gone for good in the next-gen game (and I don’t even have a next-gen console, nor will I have by then).

Like a lot of other people I’m sure, I’m seriously fed up with the same daft swoopy camera replays in every Codemasters game now. When I’m watching a replay of an exciting overtake I don’t want it to suddenly switch to a close up of my front wing ffs.

They had really better be gone for good in the next-gen game (and I don’t even have a next-gen console, nor will I have by then).

Spot on. I really don't know what they were thinking in the first place, or why they thought it was so grandiose to carry on with it for the next 4 years.

I honestly beleive Codemasters have shy'd away from everything broadcast related, to leave their own artistic "stamp" on the games. Its a sneaky and somewhat subliminal cross marketing and branding technique, thats why all Codies games have the same feel and atmosphere. Kind of similar to what Apple do with their products.

For the most part, its (theoretically) worked. Plenty of fanboys on these forums seem to care more about C

Very Nice CT25R.... I didn't know Assetto had a F1 Mod...... looks and sound amazing

Sad to say CM Video looks dulls ....  I hope there development team can learn from Assetto Corsa which is an amazing sim... I even stop playing Iracing after playing AC.... 

I understand CM has to make it some what Arcade for non-die hard fans... But they can just add assist and keep the game pure SIM... Just a dream...

Im sorry. But this hotlap yet again confirms that this game is just gonna be another bore that is 100% unrealistic. Here is how.
- Engine too high pitched
- Too much traction (On throttle mid corner)
- Too much downforce and grip
- Car seems planted to the track
- Too much light spamming
This is dissappointing as with the regulation changes i was expecting a fun/ realistic "OFFICIAL F1 GAME" but it looks like we are not getting that. I suggest codies actually listern to fans and players for once and actually take in the feedback and use it to adapt the game. Otherwise this game is just gonna be a big bore like the last 4!

CT25R said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSJ0lPf5rJw

Here's an example of some modder with a very good ear, re-creating what the engine sound should more or less sound like.

That's very, very good. See CM? That low-end growl that sounds like an engine and not a synthesiser - that's what we want.

@hatta love what you have done with the game. Can't wait to be waiting out the front of eb games till it opens so that i can run in and get the game straight away 

cant say I'm atall impressed by this, sound isn't right, think alot of people will be right in saying this is just a filler game. The new cars are supposed to be alot less gripy yet this looks like it handles like a 2013 car with a changed sound? 2013 port thats modded or something.

My opinion on better replays, they can't, my opinion on other stuff that's requested, they can't. Maybe they don't pay the money to attract better skills. Look at the safety car it almost never comes out.

I was expecting better to be honest. Like you say fighting the car? the handling model looks like a cut and paste job, from F1 2013 

What I am upset about is the boring way all this was revealed... Paul and Steve use to build up the game before, informing us about every detail , now nothing from them.... Great Job guys.... Lets hope the game is good then otherwise they sold out to money , and sadly who doesn't these days...  

Chromatic said:

I was expecting better to be honest. Like you say fighting the car? the handling model looks like a cut and paste job, from F1 2013 

thats exactly what I think it could be and its shameful if thats what coddies have done. we are supposed to be fighting these cars right as they have a lot less downforce not have the 2013 rail cars again.  Not going to rule it out completely but  with the complete attention on next gen this game probably will be the worst in the series.

f1 car are very grippy to a certain point where they reach there threshold and start loosing grip it all depends on ur setup/corner/ speed/throttle  and if you unsettle the car with quick direction changes with poor setup!

if you don't drive on the limit and push/overdrive the car or take any corner too fast u should not have to fight and constantly slide or fight the car. I do agree that cm should revamp there physics to have this replicated as much as possible. grip limitations are a lacking part of the physics. 

Nothing new to build up just car skins changed sound oh and expanded scenario mode, same things year in year out, people are getting bored with the same stuff every year. Pray to god for a big change on next gen.

The car doesn't seem to be connected to the track. It looks weightless and quite frankly horrible. The track looks great though but that engine audio is too high pitched. Overall impressions are not bad but not great either. I won't be buying it for the third year running CM. Sorry but with your vision of F1, the soul and atmosphere with your efforts since 2011 has been smashed.

Thanks for the hot lap  however once again the replay camera angles are complete garbage. Why can't you guys just use the TV angles? F1 Championship Edition 2006 did... Also, when I first watched the video, I thought it was a PS2 game at first...

ukfan758 said:

Thanks for the hot lap  however once again the replay camera angles are complete garbage. Why can't you guys just use the TV angles? F1 Championship Edition 2006 did... Also, when I first watched the video, I thought it was a PS2 game at first...

Because the Codemasters angles are more likely to impress young kids, where as the more mature and cultured F1 fans would prefer a standard TV style replay... unfortunately for us Codies target market is the former