Scheduled Updates and BETA Shutdown - 06/07/2020 Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

[VIDEO] F1 2014 Bahrain Hotlap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlJrUWKWI_U

It’s time for our very first F1 2014 Hot lap!

We thought we’d start with Bahrain and give you guys a look at the track under the lights for the first time in-game. Oh, and if you’re an Alonso fan, today’s your lucky day. Also, your requests to hear the new turbocharged cars in-game have been heard. The hot lap delivers multiple replay angles so you can really tune in and hear our audio design at work.

We know there’s a lot of people excited for our new-gen F1 title, and we can’t wait to start talking about it after F1 2014’s October launch. In the mean time, the info we’ve released on new-gen F1 can be found here.

I don't know if it was just me but I was expecting an onboard lap. The video itself was slightly disappointing. Other than the sounds (which are decent) it is so hard to learn anything new from that video. Was hoping to get an idea of how the cars handle

Anyone else think the turbo sounds way over done? on tv you only ever hear the turbo's in the pitlane usually when exiting, very rarely will u hear the spooling and blow off noise that this game has so much of judging by this video 

No offence CM, I've played all your F1 games from 2011 and enjoy them enough, but that wasn't very impressive. ive always thought your replay system wasnt very good though. Im interested to see how the game plays from onboard.

JJRosso said:
No offence CM, I've played all your F1 games from 2011 and enjoy them enough, but that wasn't very impressive. ive always thought your replay system wasnt very good though. Im interested to see how the game plays from onboard.

Agreed, the replay camera angles are completely unrealistic. A normal TV feed replay would suffice, would be cool to have a button like GTA for (realistic) cinematic angles and to cut between the track feed and helicopter

The sound of the engine seems quite realistic. Can the next one be an onboard TCam view please, just for a stable view.

TV miR4pp3r said:

Anyone else think the turbo sounds way over done? on tv you only ever hear the turbo's in the pitlane usually when exiting, very rarely will u hear the spooling and blow off noise that this game has so much of judging by this video 

TV mics are not the way to judge the sound of a car. If you've ever heard the old V8s live compared to on TV you'll know there's a huge amount that gets lost - from what people who have been at the races (not to mention the drivers) have been saying the 2014 cars make lots of turbo noises. High-frequency sounds get lost more since they're the most directional - if you've ever heard bass pumping form somewhere and tried to figure out which way it's coming from, you'll know low-frequency sounds are a lot less so. They've clearly chosen angles that show that turbo noise off more for this, which won't be the one you're driving form. The off-board shots sound pretty similar to TV for the most part, and I've never seen these cars live so I can't comment on the rest. Love the wobbly wing elements though, seems to be a bit more to that than last year if I'm not mistaken.

One thing I'm not so sure on is the down-shift sounds - they were always rather lacking in previous years because they missed that lower-end grumble of the V8s off-throttle, but hopefully this video is with the auto transmission and the sound has some more complexity when shifting manually, and it's not just BOV sound. I also really hope the variation in sound across the three engine manufacturers is replicated - to have them all sound identical would be a real shame and would further the accusation that this is a contract-fulfilling stop-gap and not the fantastic advert for new-look F1 that it could and should be.

It's all very well working on the 'next step in the franchise' behind closed doors, but if you alienate your core fanbase the year before by appearing cynical and guarded then there might not be anyone to sell it to. I know CM don't make anywhere near all the decisions, and a contract is a contract, but information and honesty goes a long way even when the news is bad. Bad news doesn't get better with age, especially when you have to pay £40 to get it.

It's looking good, would like to hear/see more onboard shots though.

The next hotlap has a few T-Cam shots. Will look at getting cockpit too for the future.

Wow did any1 else notice how early the throttle was being applied? It sounded like full throttle before hitting the apex in the first sector. Really was expecting to be fighting the car out of corners this year but quess cant really tell much from a hotlap vid.

Please have good cockpit views as they always seem to be left out pre-launch, even a 20 second cockpit view in a hot lap would be good :-)

vtidixon said:

Wow did any1 else notice how early the throttle was being applied? It sounded like full throttle before hitting the apex in the first sector. Really was expecting to be fighting the car out of corners this year but quess cant really tell much from a hotlap vid.

Agree with you vtidixon but i imagine the Traction Control is on seeing that it's full throttle but no wheelspin..... Looking good i must say!! 

Ye does look good but that sound will be so annoying for any1 that lives close to me :) tcs might explain it as AI always use assists but that was the first thing i noticed when i watched the vid. Look forward to the cockpit vids now!

Hatta said:

The next hotlap has a few T-Cam shots. Will look at getting cockpit too for the future.

what if you do a full hotlap video so we can see how physics are this time

mmpaw37 said:

class="Quote">
Hatta said:

Great sounds Luke!, Like the footage but need TCAM footage. Also, I have been comparing some actual real life sounds to that of the game and I must say, Its pretty close!. Just needs to be a tad deeper in the higher rev range then it will be perfect!...GREAT JOB GUYS!!!  AAA+
Actually I'm not so sure it does. The new V6s rev to 15,000rpm but the drivers rarely use anything over 12,000rpm since peak fuel flow is mandated at 10,500rpm, so there's no real power gain above 12,000rpm because you're just adding more air for the same amount of fuel. I imagine this vid was with the auto transmission which will ignore this fact and take the revs higher - at least I hope that's the case, since CM will have really dropped the ball if this aspect of the new cars is ignored entirely and the peak power is at the top of the rev band like the V8s.

it looks good guys :)  but it looks like the car have a huge ammount of grip or the handling is very understeer.. there ist almost none oversteer on that vid. and if its with assists than i think the hotlaps last year was also with assists but there was a quite ammount of powerslides through the corner exits.. 

cant wait for the game :) 

mmpaw37 said:

Actually I'm not so sure it does. The new V6s rev to 15,000rpm but the drivers rarely use anything over 12,000rpm since peak fuel flow is mandated at 10,500rpm, so there's no real power gain above 12,000rpm because you're just adding more air for the same amount of fuel. I imagine this vid was with the auto transmission which will ignore this fact and take the revs higher - at least I hope that's the case, since CM will have really dropped the ball if this aspect of the new cars is ignored entirely and the peak power is at the top of the rev band like the V8s.

Mmmm....You are quite right.

Like you say, I just hope the engine is up at the top of the rev range in the Hotlap, If its not, then it definitely needs a tweak.

I compared the video to some real footage and although it is very close, Including the turbo whine and release, The real car is more 'throaty' as it were, so just a tad deeper wouldn't go a miss if the above happens to be the case.

Can't wait anyway, Its still good enough for me!...Don't forget, We haven't heard the other engines yet!

;-)

Like I said in my first post in the topic, I really hope the engines sound noticeably different.

Liked the vid, but like others I need cockpit views to really see the handling.  Car sounds pretty close to what I see on TV.  Bahrain under lights was cool.

Although it looks good o/a, I have to say I'm quite disapointed at the generic nature of the sound. After going to Silverstone this year, I can tell you that the Ferrari engine had a very unique sound, it coughs and splutters and rattles much more than the others, almost like a rally car, it sounded constantly on the verge of dying. I do like the 'other' sounds though, the turbo, mgu and tyre squeal is a great edition. 

PS: The night time lighting is still awful, the cars always seem to have matte paint, the need more shine, perhaps ist's not possible on old gen but for new gen I hope its greatly improved.

Nice to finally see footage of F1 2014.

Any chance CM could post that lap with either cockpit or t-cam view?