Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2017 Real Spanish Grand Prix in Barcelona

That from Kimi bringing the crying kid to the paddock, that is fantastic. 

Hughesy said:

That from Kimi bringing the crying kid to the paddock, that is fantastic. 

I'm not sure it was Kimi and not somebody from FOM who brought the kid in, but either way it is fantastic :)

Well I'm going to give him and the team the benefit, as they would have seen and it and told Kimi. Either way he wasnt obliged to do it. 

Has Alonso got a NOS button, he's past two MERC powered cars lol. 

How has Hamilton done this, so many laps on soft and still with the pace. 

Great race and battle at the front. I do feel they should be showing the midfield more as there were some close battles going on that we didn't see. 

That was fun to watch :) Merc nailed the strategy, Hamilton nailed Vettel, awesome! Also bring on the podium banter lol.

Love it how on the victory lap Hamilton points at the Union Jack's he can see in the crowds :)

Wonderful race, glad Hamilton didn't get that penalty because it gave us quite the cracker.

On the other hand, I'm pretty sure I have a picture of Massa on the Brazil 2008 podium somewhere. Used to hang it on my wall for a reminder of what could have been. Might dust it off for the dartboard now.

What did Massa do wrong? If you mean when Vettel got held up, he left him the room but Vettel outbraked himself. 

Hughesy said:

What did Massa do wrong? If you mean when Vettel got held up, he left him the room but Vettel outbraked himself. 

Massa existed, that's what. If he didn't Vettel would have had a closer look at Hamilton's arse than Nicole in a hotel in Monaco. I'm taking my anger out on someone and he's the scapegoat. Deal with it hughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhes

Not a bad race. Sucks about Max and Kimi at the start, they might have made things even more interesting. 

Torn on the Hamilton/Vettel incident. On one hand I'm glad it didn't effect the racing. On the other, rules are rules, and they need to be enforced consistently. 

Also these tires a strange.

Mexicola said:

Hughesy said:

Massa existed, that's what. If he didn't Vettel would have had a closer look at Hamilton's arse than Nicole in a hotel in Monaco. I'm taking my anger out on someone and he's the scapegoat. Deal with it hughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhes

I think Hamilton setting fastest lap with only 2 to go kinda says otherwise ;) And at least we got some good radio out of Massa and Vettel right?

Now confirmed that it was Ferrari and Kimi that invited  the kid to meet him  ;)

Brilliant race, the two best drivers currently on the grid having a proper fight throughout the race, and a great battle for the lead! Surprised to see Lewis so exhausted from the race, but in a way I'm amazed we don't see this more. Even after 30 minutes of karting I leave with a pounding headache and I'm drained.

Daniel all out on his own, we only saw him about twice all race! Brilliant effort by Force India, yet again. Staying out of trouble, picking up the points, and they're now miles ahead of Toro Rosso and Williams. Hulkenberg had a quietly good race too, up to P6 and making Jolyon look like absolute poo yet again. Joylon simply isn't quick enough.

That brings me onto Stroll as well. He was over 50 seconds ahead of Felipe at one point, and despite 2 accidents and a puncture, Felipe still managed to beat him. Stroll, also, just not good enough at the moment. It's sad really that Palmer and Stroll are coasting around in two seats that could be filled by much better drivers. Stroll will stay whatever because of his sack of money, but hopefully Renault will replace Jolyon for next year (with Alonso perhaps....)

Wehrlein, brilliant. Only his 3rd race of the year remember, and scoring strong points.

F1 has got some incredible years ahead in terms of star young drivers. Once Vandoorne irons out the odd mistake he's been making, we could be seeing great battles between him, Verstappen, Ocon, Wehrlein, Norris, Leclerc, Sainz, maybe even Giovinazzi. So many great drivers, but who will be the ones who will end up winning championships?!

Fun race to watch, enjoyed it a lot. A bit disappointing that Vettel couldn't win this weekend though, he probably should have had pole and if Ferrari had actually pit Vettel under the VSC, he could well have taken it. I'm genuinely just stunned that they didn't, given how long Lewis lasted on softs. You can't help but feel that Ferrari threw that one away. 

I hope this gap is kept roughly the same for the rest of the year, for the first time since 2012/2013, I genuinely look forward to the races. 

Even though Hamilton won and gained because of VSC, I think they should ban pit stops during VSC like they do in F2.

A few of my takes on today:

- It was a fantastic race, best I can remember in a long time in terms of an all out dog fight for the win.

- I can't quite work out how Vettel and Hamilton were so close coming out of the pits on Seb's second stop. When Hamilton entered the pits the on screen graphics said the VSC was ending, and as he drove in the pit lane it ended. So at the time the advantage of pitting looked to be nothing. The action at the pit exit between Lewis and Seb was great but I don't know where the rough 8 seconds that Vettel had in hand dissapeared to. 

- With a combination of the VSC somehow working out though, and the added benefit of Bottas holding Seb up, and the 100m longer DRS zone implemented on Saturday morning, Lewis had the cards in his favour today. As a result I'm a bit depleted with the result, but racing's racing. 

- The good news is though despite all the noticeable aesthetic changes to the Mercedes, Ferrari are still in the mix. I can't really work out who Monaco is going to favour. In theory it should be Ferrari but their lack of pace through S3 this weekend is worrying. 

- Away from the main battle, Sainz is beginning to annoy me with his weird driving moves and then consistently blaming it on the other drivers. I like his aggression but I wish he could accept when a mistake is his own. 

Not a bad race. Sucks about Max and Kimi at the start, they might have made things even more interesting. 

Torn on the Hamilton/Vettel incident. On one hand I'm glad it didn't effect the racing. On the other, rules are rules, and they need to be enforced consistently. 

Crofty said in commentary that you only need to go left of the bollard if you hit the speedbumps. Hamilton didn't.

Cracking race between the two, let's have more of that please! Also, credit to Ferrari for what they did to the little boy.

fIsince08 said:

Crofty said in commentary that you only need to go left of the bollard if you hit the speedbumps. Hamilton didn't.

Cracking race between the two, let's have more of that please! Also, credit to Ferrari for what they did to the little boy.

Yeah that's what Leigh Diffey reported too. I get why it wasn't a penalty, but they always make a point of drawing attention to these reentry rules, and then something like this happens and the stewards always seem to make something up: only if you hit the bumps, unless you were forced off, unless you gained an advantage, etc. It always comes back to clarity in the rules and consistent enforcement. 

Mexicola said:

Hughesy said:

I think Hamilton setting fastest lap with only 2 to go kinda says otherwise ;) And at least we got some good radio out of Massa and Vettel right?

He is right when he says Massa existing is a problem though. I can back that statement.

Also, everybody seemed knackered on the team-radio. F1 IS FOR REAL MEN AGAIN, KIDS CANNOT STAMINA ENOUGH! Overall, interesting race, Wehrlein got an amazing finish and Hamilton responded as expected after a shit race, by winning the next one.

Hamilton saying he decided not to have his drink bottle in the car to save weight. 

So thats why he sounded exhausted on the radio, lucky he never passed out.

That sounds downright stupid if you ask me, dehydration is a serious thing folks. He'd better not pull any of that sort of stunts off in Malaysia or he's screwed.

If anyone hasn't heard Ben Edwards' Barcelona commentary, here is the link (UK only I think). He got a bit excited.
http://f1.channel4.com/video/vettel-battles-mercedes-spain/

fIsince08 said:

If anyone hasn't heard Ben Edwards' Barcelona commentary, here is the link (UK only I think). He got a bit excited.
http://f1.channel4.com/video/vettel-battles-mercedes-spain/

I've never heard him so excited.