Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tips on tarmac Pikes Peak and using the 208 T16

Recommended Posts

Hello all,

I'am trying to make a comparision between Dirt Rally and SLRE on the tarmac version of Pikes Peak. I noticed though that the 208 is almost impossible to drive without non stop sliding and drifting. If I watch Loeb's record, the drive is very smooth. SLRE simulates this behaviour pretty spot on but I can't seem to get Dirt's 208 doing the same thing. I hooked up my T150 for this comparision.

Anyone has any tips to get the 208 running more realisticly on tarmac?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
That's the V2 tarmac physics for you. They've been broken from the start. The cars glide around like hovercraft. V1 was far superior in terms of overall car movement.

Nothing you can do I'm afraid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thanks for your answer Porkhammer. Such a shame because on gravel I love it in DR but on tarmac I simply hate it. First time when I fired it up with the wheel I was like .. :s  what in gods name did I just play! The chances that this will be addressed are pretty much zero so for PP on tarmac I'll need to stick to SLRE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tarmac phisics was among the few things that SLRE did better than DiRT Rally but even so, I wouldn't say it's "impossible to drive without non stop sliding and drifting". About a week ago there was a Pikes Peak daily with the 208. I was driving pretty cleanly, not even drifting through the hairpins and got 8:06.9. And that was in the rain. If you're sliding all over the place, I think you might just be going too fast. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didzis said:

Tarmac phisics was among the few things that SLRE did better than DiRT Rally but even so, I wouldn't say it's "impossible to drive without non stop sliding and drifting". About a week ago there was a Pikes Peak daily with the 208. I was driving pretty cleanly, not even drifting through the hairpins and got 8:06.9. And that was in the rain. If you're sliding all over the place, I think you might just be going too fast. 


I used the same approach as I did in SLRE. Will keep both of your answers in my mind and will retry a run the coming week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Consider that they actually adressed the PP cars dowforce at one point. The 208PP is still bad after that patch, but when it first came out it was a death machine that would have killed Mr Loeb in the very first corner.

SLRE does tarmac much better but I really can't stand bleeding ears and eyes so I still won't touch it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

bogani said:


SLRE does tarmac much better but I really can't stand bleeding ears and eyes so I still won't touch it.


Give it a shot because it really is thrilling to go up that mountain with the Pikes Peak cars. Even with all the other "rallycars" it is great fun. Graphics are step down from Dirt but the driving pleasure makes up for that ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
we will just have to wait for dirt 4 to see how the roads are in comparison.in Dirt rally its just not right but atleast it was acknowledged and apparently better in the new game.

i always found my self in Dirt rally trying to force the car by over exaggerating what i needed it to do.when what you need is the finesse. only assetto gets it right for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

P308R said:



bogani said:



SLRE does tarmac much better but I really can't stand bleeding ears and eyes so I still won't touch it.




Give it a shot because it really is thrilling to go up that mountain with the Pikes Peak cars. Even with all the other "rallycars" it is great fun. Graphics are step down from Dirt but the driving pleasure makes up for that ;)


And sounds are like 5 generations from DR ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


bogani said:





P308R said:







bogani said:





SLRE does tarmac much better but I really can't stand bleeding ears and eyes so I still won't touch it.








Give it a shot because it really is thrilling to go up that mountain with the Pikes Peak cars. Even with all the other "rallycars" it is great fun. Graphics are step down from Dirt but the driving pleasure makes up for that ;)






And sounds are like 5 generations from DR ;)




It still sounds better that Gran Turismo  :p No but seriously, the game is also dead cheap to pickup. I find it very enjoyable so far even when Dirt blows it out of the water in terms of sounds and graphics. At times it actually does look pretty and sounds also decent. The exhaust pop effects are great and also replay angles are well done. Look past the occasional framedips though.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

dgeesi0 said:

we will just have to wait for dirt 4 to see how the roads are in comparison.in Dirt rally its just not right but atleast it was acknowledged and apparently better in the new game.

i always found my self in Dirt rally trying to force the car by over exaggerating what i needed it to do.when what you need is the finesse. only assetto gets it right for me.


I drove the Lotus 49 at Nordschlieffe in VR for the first time over the weekend. That car is a perfect example of the finesse you can over a car in that game, it's an absolute joy to control and get some slight oversteer out of the corners. I haven't had that much fun before just hotlapping!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
So I changed the wheel settings completely and put on softlock. Difference is night and day. Actually it is pretty good. The rear still feels a bit loose but the car is much much better to drive. Brake distance is a bit different compared to SLRE as well as elevation changes. Need a bit of time to adapt but you can drive that 208 rather cleanly  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
What rotation were you driving before? I'm using 540° and I can drive the 208 kinda cleanly, it will still break loose if you're not careful, but with almost 900 BHP it's to be expected

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I've never found it too slide, it's not great, but I don't find that it drifts everywhere. Just did a blast up a minute ago and was quite smooth. I use 720 degrees

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Using 540 I think and I put on the softlock. Also changed softlock setting in force feedback to 85. Worked out great  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


I've never found it too slide, it's not great, but I don't find that it drifts everywhere. Just did a blast up a minute ago and was quite smooth. I use 720 degrees


Before the patch it was allover the place. It's better now but still not great. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Car simply needs a specific setup. Get a good one, it handles very nicely, get a bad one and it will oversteer everywhere all the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Car simply needs a specific setup. Get a good one, it handles very nicely, get a bad one and it will oversteer everywhere all the time.


I run it completely stock and it runs fine :D I am not the tuning kind a guy ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

P308R said:
I run it completely stock and it runs fine :D I am not the tuning kind a guy ;)


Well, I run it completely not stock and as long as my input is smooth I can push it as hard as I want without it sliding all over the place ;p I think I have recorded a run of 7:15 just can't be bothered to edit it and upload to YT xD There's a lot of setups on Workshop, it's worth trying them out if you can't do it yourself. Default setups are most of the time utter crap.

The key with that car is lack of sudden big inputs. As long as you do it, all you get is small slip from the rear which is exactly what you want, because that helps with turning in. That said, with a bad setup your input has to be the smoothest thing ever, otherwise it will slide everywhere as I mentioned before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I'm not a tuner really, but I just did two runs, I lost about 5-10 seconds on my first due to a small off. Other than that, my second run was 20 seconds faster by dropping the front and rear ride height down one. Made a huge difference, I could really attack a lot of the fast corners at the bottom and nearer the top

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Will try because at least I understand what it does ;) Driving this car up the mountain is 8 minutes of eargasm  :o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

P308R said:

Will try because at least I understand what it does ;) Driving this car up the mountain is 7 minutes of eargasm  :o


Fixed that for ya :p

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


I'm not a tuner really, but I just did two runs, I lost about 5-10 seconds on my first due to a small off. Other than that, my second run was 20 seconds faster by dropping the front and rear ride height down one. Made a huge difference, I could really attack a lot of the fast corners at the bottom and nearer the top


Did a 07:55:xxx Very happy with that time  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Inspired by this topic, drove about 100km on Pikes Peak today :D Did a 7:51, that was with some self made setup adjustments (lower ride height, a bit softer front end, bit longer 5th and 6th gears). After that downloaded the top rated setup from the workshop. Didn't manage a full run, but from the first 2-3 sectrors it did feel faster. (had an off in the 2nd run and called it quits. Going to the top of the mountain like 5 times in a row is enough for one day :D ) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×