Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tips on tarmac Pikes Peak and using the 208 T16

Personally I think the first section is the best, there's a lot of time to make up from being brace through the fast corners!

yep the first few sections i enjoy doing after that it just seems like a uphill battle ;) :D

I prefer the middle and last section of the track :D

The lead up to the first hairpin is also great. You know to part where you go flatout downhill and then there is that urgent need to get the car lined up correctly for this corner:

This section is also great!

The first section usually decides whether the time will be good or bad because it's incredibly difficult to perform consistently there. You're microscopically off the line, slightly too much throttle, miliseconds too early on brakes/throttle and you lose HEAPS of time. After that section though it's much easier to maintain pace and keep pretty much about equal pace. The super fast blinds corners near the summit though... you're either super brave or super slow :D

Played a bit of Sebastien Loeb Rally EVO (bought it a few days ago), it wasn't as bad as I remembered from the demo :D Anyone else think that Pikes Peak is super bumpy there? 

Well, I moved my arse and uploaded that 7:15 run. Now you can see what it means to no life DR on Pikes Peak only xD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YWvnckmp90

Didzis said:

Played a bit of Sebastien Loeb Rally EVO (bought it a few days ago), it wasn't as bad as I remembered from the demo :D Anyone else think that Pikes Peak is super bumpy there? 

It is very bumpy I agree and I found it much harder to get a proper fast time (more satifying though) in SLRE than in DR. The sound and graphics in DR are unmatched!

@RyuMakkuro It is a great run but it also shows the part I really don't like in the game. You see that drifting through the corner gains heaps of time while realisticly this is doesn't seem possible. It is a car that should be driven very tidy and even like you are on a racetrack. Drifting through those hairpins looks fun but it is not the way I like to drive.

Here is my run and I tried to drift as less as possible.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJOm-_rjxNk

P308R said:
It is a car that should be driven very tidy and even like you are on a racetrack. Drifting through those hairpins looks fun but it is not the way I like to drive.

Not really. You forgot that when Loeb did his run, he had his own life to worry about so he would never push it fully to the limit. He choose the method that is safest, not fastest. However the car in real life will be the fastest through the corners when there's a small slip on the rear tires. That allows the car to turn in harder while maintaining the speed. At full grip on both front and rear to turn that hard you would have to reduce the speed.

Now I fully agree that the effect is exaggerated with this car (and gamepad only serves to exacerbate the issue even more due to lack of smooth input on quick reactions) to a point where it feels like you're drifting around the corners but... you actually don't. On top of that it's a fairly known concept that in rally you drift around the hairpins. I find it to be much faster, better looking and easier to maintain great pace. Cars like this have usually abysmal turning circle, so the only way to go through those corners at a relatively high pace is with drifting around them. Although on some corners I would prefer to not drift, but this car is very peculiar so sometimes I'm just forced to do that regardless xD

Like I said, with a steering wheel, it will look a lot more smooth and not as "drifty" as on my run.

Thanks for your excellent answer @RyuMakkuro

I agree with you on the rallycars part where they drift around hairpins and tight corners. The difference with a Hillclimb car is that those rally cars produce around 300 BHP and weigh 1000+ kg while the hillclimbcar of Loeb weighs 875 kg but has 875 bhp. This would also mean that it is much harder to control during a drift. Also when watching some hillclimb events on youtube there is rarely some drifting involved when on tarmac.

https://youtu.be/IOQMNlrpw9A

It seems that Hillclimb cars are driven differently than rallycars and therefore a rallytechnique wouldn't be the first thing that comes to mind when going up Pikes Peak.

P308R said:

Also when watching some hillclimb events on youtube there is rarely some drifting involved when on tarmac.

It seems that Hillclimb cars are driven differently than rallycars and therefore a rallytechnique wouldn't be the first thing that comes to mind when going up Pikes Peak.

Well, it depends on the hairpin. Most hairpins on Pikes Peak are very tight, whereas other Hillclimbs have a lot longer ones. Let me put it this way. It's a fight of what you need more: turnability or speed.
If the corner is long enough, you can maintain enough speed while still turning perfectly into it. If it is very tight though, you're forced to reduce the speed a lot and you're still not turning very quickly. That's where drifting comes, because although you're forsaking the speed, you gain almost instant turning, and due to AWD you just fire it off the corner.

And again, there's the fear factor. We in games can push it as hard as possible. If I would be doing that in real life, unless I would practise drifting around a hairpin with those cars to a point where I can do it with closed eyes, I wouldn't risk it in the actual run. You're going to play it safe, you're going to brake slightly earlier, you're not going to take as much speed through the corner etc. You won't be driving on the edge. That's why when Loeb did his run up the Pikes Peak, he lost if I remember correctly 20s on his 2nd run.

And then comes the issue of physics. DiRT Rally has peculiar tarmac physics and although the Pikes Peak cars have the best tarmac physics due to improved downforce it still ain't great and you can do things that normally wouldn't be beneficial and the things that normally would be beneficial suddenly become... incredibly difficult to pull of aside from being slower.

I personally enjoy the Pikes Peak in DiRT Rally for what it is. Don't care if it's realistic or popcorn or whatever. It's enjoyable, I like drifting around the hairpins, it's really nice seeing those cars that are super planted down and never do any drifting to go full ham through the corners. Refreshing experience and I believe that instead of saying "oh, it's unrealistic so I don't want to do it" just enjoy it while it lasts.

That said, the most enjoyable cars on Pikes Peak is Quattro. Although ABS is kind of a must since the wheels lock up under braking instantly even on default brake strength xD