Sign in to follow this  

DIRT 4 - CUSTOM LIVERIES, MODS & TOOLS, DISCUSSION ETC.

now i get excited  ;) so i made a provisional tools page on my website with the info i normally release to create your own liveries. It has tool downloads, car names/folder, dxt settings and more. When the nefs tool comes available i will update my page a.s.a.p.

http://www.rallygamer.com/dirt4/tools/texture-design-tools.php

PaloSamo said:

Custom liveries are now possible. I don't have Photoshop so can't check if it's GIMP's fault for loss of quality (could be lack of DC7 compression support).
Should have waited, not cool man. 
What am I even looking at here? And why is it not cool? I don't get it.

I didn't reveal anything, did I? ;)ShouldBeThere said:
PaloSamo said:

Custom liveries are now possible. I don't have Photoshop so can't check if it's GIMP's fault for loss of quality (could be lack of DC7 compression support).
Should have waited, not cool man. 
Not to worry, I didn't reveal anything. It's just a picture ;)

I don't have an issue with you 'revealing'. You're taking credit for someone else's work. 
I just gave folks something else to talk about apart from 'the Hand of God'. If I took credit for someone else's work than I do apologize. It wasn't my intention.

Assault said:

People seem to forget that Codemasters never "unlocked" custom liveries for any of the Dirt games. It took the community to find ways to mod it and make it work. Coming on here and demanding that codies unlock liveries is idiotic. They have sponsors to please and the game is geared around that, so I dont blame them because without it we wouldn't have these games. The same fools that demand are the same fools that rip off other peoples work and call it their own and never give any credit to those that work hard on figuring out how to mod and making liveries for these games.

Now having said that, I've done it before and it can be done again. Codies will make it harder each time but I dont think it's impossible to mod the game and start using custom liveries ;)

Liveries is one thing, but why on earth encrypt a camera file? I just want to change my racing view like you already can in Dirt Rally, who could this possibly hurt? Certainly not sponsors or manufacturers and I cant see why it would upset Codies themselves either. So why encrypt it? :(

PaloSamo said:

Why is the car shadow (umbra) missing in the pic with modded livery?
I hope modding does not mess with lighting in the game.

PaloSamo said:

The tool is in the super early stages - so we're going to need to extend a tonne of thanks and patience to the guy who's building it - and be stoked we're even able to get this far :)

Yes, it's great that someone is working on it.

Is it some sort of injection or did he find a way to repack the files?

PaloSamo said:

this is due to the early stage of the tool, is still buggy but progressing

I still have no idea what I'm looking at... it's a 2001 Subaru. With and without shadows.

wat
since he already broke the news im going to post this

@YorAlcoholicDad Hey, since you seem to have the 3D models (at least for the Focus and the Hyundai), could you maybe make some wireframe for the rest of us to shorten the wait? Pretty please?

yeah ill post wireframes of the models i got up until now, probably tomorrow ill post them here

I still have no idea what I'm looking at... it's a 2001 Subaru. With and without shadows.

wat
The upper Subi is original.
The lower Subi is modded (Poland Rally).

wat
since he already broke the news im going to post this

Looks very promising.

So, we will not only be able to replace liveries, but also replace existing patterns?
Can we adjust the patterns for each car (like the Devs did)?
Are the patterns vector graphics?

Ok, no more sleep for me until it's released...!!!!!

This is simply outstanding!!!!!

Will we be able to change rim colors too?
We could in Dirt Rally and the system in DiRT4 is the same, except for the whole .nefs issue. So most likely yes

So, we will not only be able to replace liveries, but also replace existing patterns?
In the texture files the patterns act the same way as liveries, just each pattern color is in a separate primary color in the livery (Red, Green, Blue and Black). They aren't vector graphics and each car has their own patterns so if you wanted to make a new pattern for all cars, you would have to make 50+ skins

Like here's one of the patterns on a 306 and on a 208. You can see, that they are adjusted for each car. And you could jsut as well make the same pattern slot different for different cars (i.e. slot 3 for the 131 could be an Alitalia pattern, but the same slot for the Focus could be like the Martini pattern) 

How can I unpack the nefs ?
So I could already work on some liveries, already safe them on my HD and import them into the game when there is a tool...

Are there 3d-models and/or wireframes already available as for DR? It was easy to create liveries and immediately check the result in Photoshop....

Didzis said:
In the texture files the patterns act the same way as liveries, just each pattern color is in a separate primary color in the livery (Red, Green, Blue and Black). They aren't vector graphics and each car has their own patterns so if you wanted to make a new pattern for all cars, you would have to make 50+ skins

Like here's one of the patterns on a 306 and on a 208. You can see, that they are adjusted for each car. And you could jsut as well make the same pattern slot different for different cars (i.e. slot 3 for the 131 could be an Alitalia pattern, but the same slot for the Focus could be like the Martini pattern) 

Interesting, thanks. I thought the Devs mentioned a few month ago that the pattern system works via vector-based files.
Anyway, great work!

BTW, do we have access to the file that determines position and size of all the sponsors?

LutzM said:
How can I unpack the nefs ?
So I could already work on some liveries, already safe them on my HD and import them into the game when there is a tool...

Are there 3d-models and/or wireframes already available as for DR? It was easy to create liveries and immediately check the result in Photoshop....
You can unpack them by using Offzip, on the first page of this topic there were some links to another forum, where they discussed how to do it  It is a bit complicated, as you have to use the console to unpack them.

There are some 3d models as you can see by YorAlcoholicDad's posts. He did say he would post the wireframes tomorrow.

Could someone post the PSSG prepared to change the newspaper sponsor? I'd like to try that but not really in the mood to create the texture. 

Edit: Nevermind, I'll use a different one to try if it works. 

For you @thecraicbear