Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Your stage" is everything a rally fan could ask?

Hi guys,

I´m 42 here and i played ever single rally title for the last 30 years.
Started on Commodore Amiga with Toyota Celica GT Rally, thru all PC titles out there, including the amazing Mobil 1 Rally Championship, all the Colin McRae titles, and obviously the king Richard Burns Rally. Then i moved on to consoles, all Dirt titles, Sebastien Loeb, and recently the amazing Dirt Rally.
All these years i had several complaints on every game - nothing is perfect, perfectly understandable - but he common fault on every title (apart from the Mobil 1 Rally) were the number/length of stages. When you are a rally fan like myself, you play the game over and over again, until you get to know the stages ... with your eyes closed ... you lose the fear - that´s not Rally.
When i first heard of  Your Stage i couldn´t believe it! will this be what myself and others have waited for decades? Will we have Dirt Rally physics/simulation on amazing new tracks every time we pick the game? Is this real?

What´s you thoughts on this?

Thanks

Yep, pretty much looks like it'll hit the sweet spot. I've been awed by how good the generated stages look, so very true to how real life roads look.

We'll see in a year or so if your stage truly can deliver the insane amount of diversity that it looks like, but even if it's only a tenth of what it promises it's still a complete gamechanger.

Dytut said:

Yep, pretty much looks like it'll hit the sweet spot. I've been awed by how good the generated stages look, so very true to how real life roads look.

We'll see in a year or so if your stage truly can deliver the insane amount of diversity that it looks like, but even if it's only a tenth of what it promises it's still a complete gamechanger.

That AND the ability to create multiplayer rooms to invite friends and set up rallys will be a dream come true.

Yep, improved physics from dirt rally on a near infinite amount of stages! The car handling was great, and the stages felt very familiar from dirt rally, despite being randomly generated

I completely agree, rallying is about going into the unknown, trying to be a fast driver while navigating based on some notes a bloke next to you yells in your ear. That's been the problem with all games in the past, I could turn the pacenotes off in Dirt Rally if I wanted as I didn't need them anymore as you learn the stage. What we lose in finely crafted real life stages, we gain in replayability and the idea of rallying which to me is much more important.

To me it's huge step forward. It's like real-road technology appeared under various names in numerous racing simulations.
Your stage solves two things at once:
  1. limited number of stages available in the released title,
  2. guarantee variability making impossible to learn the track by doing hundreds of attempts. (OK, you can store generated track and learn it to death, but who cares than?)
What I'm looking forward to, in recent year, are longer tracks and variable/changeable randomly surface from attempt to attempt. This way we would simulate that every run changes conditions a bit. Going further, when participating in championship (doesn't matter single player or online), a surface would be affected by runs of cars which had started earlier.

Also, being a full time worker i have always felt in disadvantage when competing my friends who had all day to practise a track, over and over and over. This way as long as you know the car and how to react to your co-pilot, things will be a lot more directioned to skill as opposed to loads of practise time. That itself is also a game changer, specially in online racing.

I absolutely agree , this custom stages technology is pretty wellcome as you dont get bored playing in same tracks again and again like previous Dirt games..I think codemasters must invest in this technology in their upcoming tittles..

Question:

Does the co-driver instuctions work in custom tracks? Or just arrows?

I absolutely agree , this custom stages technology is pretty wellcome as you dont get bored playing in same tracks again and again like previous Dirt games..I think codemasters must invest in this technology in their upcoming tittles..

Question:

It does work

Question:

Co-driver instructions will work on all rally tracks.
The career ones are generated by Your Stage. So basicly all the rally footage that's out there already, has been using Your Stage generated tracks.

Game changer, indeed.

Needs some more sliders, like camber, elevation, etc.

Mobil 1 Rally Championship! Wow, that takes me back. Still remember the LOOOOOOOOOOOOONG stages, particularly Pundershaw. (I'm 73, been playing rally games a long time!)

And that's what I want from a rally game: lots of stages, not so much lots of cars.

Still have the CD: won't work under W7 though. :-(

cjl9 said:

Mobil 1 Rally Championship! Wow, that takes me back. Still remember the LOOOOOOOOOOOOONG stages, particularly Pundershaw. (I'm 73, been playing rally games a ling time!)

And that's what I want from a rally game: lot's of stages, not so much lots of cars.

I got it working on my Windows 7 PC. From what I remember all I had to do was set the game executable in compability mode for Windows XP.

I'm not feeling that old anymore :) glad to see that my memories and wishes are shared by others...

The best thing about Mobil 1 Rallye was that all classes competed in the same leaderbord just like in real life.
The joy I received for beating bigger A7 kitcars with my small A5 106 Maxi was priceless :)

It's a game changer, no doubt, and I have been impressed by the footage I have seen so far. But, this is a first step and I'm not going to let myself be overhyped by thinking it will be perfect from the first attempt. I expect to start recognising certain sections of stage fairly quickly and it wouldn't surprise me if things do start to feel repetitive, but I look forward to finding out and am excited about the future potential that it offers.

its great for events like dailys and so on for sure.every daily will be new unrehearsed.should make for interesting rallying.

lets just hope you can alt f4 kinda deal so you can do it again.a lot of that kinda thing or variation happened in events in dirt rally.

Alf72 said:

Game changer, indeed.

Needs some more sliders, like camber, elevation, etc.

I both agree and disagree. Elevation and camber are both based on the actual location. I actually like that aproach.

Making a full complex stage in Wales should never be as twisty as Corsica.
Having a slider for camber cranked up high should never make Wales feel like New Zealand.

dgeesi0 said:

its great for events like dailys and so on for sure.every daily will be new unrehearsed.should make for interesting rallying.

lets just hope you can alt f4 kinda deal so you can do it again.a lot of that kinda thing or variation happened in events in dirt rally.

Hope you can alt-f4? Wat?

bogani said:

dgeesi0 said:

Hope you can alt-f4? Wat?

Pretty sure he missed a T there. :p

@dgeesio To my knowledge, being able to alt-f4 the daily events and restart the game to try again has not been possible since super duper early access. Maybe even before I started playing (May 2015), so I wouldn't worry about this being a problem in Dirt 4 at all. Codies has shown time and again that they learn from their mistakes, which will make Dirt 4 all the more epic than Dirt Rally ever was.

Well, I'd still much prefer real stages, but generated stages is so much better in the long run.

There seems to be a lot of variety within YourStage. I remember the stagecreator from V-Rally 2 and for that time it was great. Technology has come a long way since. Can't wait to create my own set of stages. 

P308R said:

There seems to be a lot of variety within YourStage. I remember the stagecreator from V-Rally 2 and for that time it was great. Technology has come a long way since. Can't wait to create my own set of stages. 

Nice to hear guys , thanks very much , TURBODEVIN see you on steam...

cjl9 said:

Mobil 1 Rally Championship! Wow, that takes me back. Still remember the LOOOOOOOOOOOOONG stages, particularly Pundershaw. (I'm 73, been playing rally games a ling time!)

And that's what I want from a rally game: lot's of stages, not so much lots of cars.

I got it working on my Windows 7 PC. From what I remember all I had to do was set the game executable in compability mode for Windows XP.

I tried that...with no success.

I'll dig it out later and see if I can get it working this time.

How are you by the way? Only a few more days until DiRT 4.

After competing in the RaceDepartment Rally Championship throughout this year and placing reasonably OK - i'm super excited / nervous to test myself against drivers on stages I don't know.
Pretty sure all the RBR crew who made the jump to DR for that championship are going to be a whole lot quicker thanks to YourStage....

Your Stage will be a major selling point for Dirt 4, specially for gamers who were not so sure to buy after Dirt Rally.