Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Your stage" is everything a rally fan could ask?

DESMOPT said:

When you are a rally fan like myself, you play the game over and over again, until you get to know the stages ... with your eyes closed ... you lose the fear - that´s not Rally.
When i first heard of  Your Stage i couldn´t believe it! will this be what myself and others have waited for decades? Will we have Dirt Rally physics/simulation on amazing new tracks every time we pick the game? Is this real?

What´s you thoughts on this?

Thanks

Went to Codies HQ in November to test DiRT4. Didn't realise I'd been driving randomly generated stages all day until a couple of months later (true story, I thought we'd tested Codies generated stages in the morning and YourStage in the afternoon). The stages ran smoothly and even though I'd started to recognise some corners upon entry, the exits were always different.

It really changes the atmosphere, not knowing what is actually round the next bend.

TL:DR Yes, it's brilliant

;)

DESMOPT said:

When you are a rally fan like myself, you play the game over and over again, until you get to know the stages ... with your eyes closed ... you lose the fear - that´s not Rally.
When i first heard of  Your Stage i couldn´t believe it! will this be what myself and others have waited for decades? Will we have Dirt Rally physics/simulation on amazing new tracks every time we pick the game? Is this real?

What´s you thoughts on this?

Thanks

Went to Codies HQ in November to test DiRT4. Didn't realise I'd been driving randomly generated stages all day until a couple of months later (true story, I thought we'd tested Codies generated stages in the morning and YourStage in the afternoon). The stages ran smoothly and even though I'd started to recognise some corners upon entry, the exits were always different.

It really changes the atmosphere, not knowing what is actually round the next bend.

;)

That's kind of what I was expecting. You might start recognizing some corners but the fact that the next several corners will always be different means you will never know exactly how fast you can take sections like you can on dirt rally.

Scyy said:

;)

That's kind of what I was expecting. You might start recognizing some corners but the fact that the next several corners will always be different means you will never know exactly how fast you can take sections like you can on dirt rally.
I can personally suspend my disbelief for corners being repeated because if a rally is taking place in a fixed region, it's possible that different stages could pass through the same junctions or towns or whatever. That's how I'm justifying it at least.

OP, yes it really is.  After almost 300 hours of Dirt Rally and much more than that over the years with RBR.. you get burnt out.  You learn the stages, you start hot lapping to stay competitive just like circuit racing.  That is not what rally is about, it's about the unknown putting faith in your co-driver and your skills as a driver.

I loved Dirt Rally and RBR with a passion, but you can only do the same stages so many times before it becomes more memorization than how real rally is.  My main complaint with DR from day 1 of early access, even though the quality was amazing there simply wasn't enough stages.  It was cut up and reversed to make one 10km stage 12 "different" ones.  This new tech is a literal game changer.  Sure you lose the real world stages, but you gain a million different possibilities for a great original rally stage and you don't hot lap over and over and over, unless you want to.  The fact that they have improved on the simulation side of DR and we now have infinite stages to generate, and save and share if we love them is just a rally sim fans dream come true.

Dirt Rally came out of nowhere and truly surprised me, I really didn't think we'd ever get a rally sim ever again since RBR.  But the hype is real for Dirt 4, I cannot wait!

Your Stage seems to be very solid ground to build up from, maybe in the future we get more stage length and other improvements, more variation & locations, more control over track generation, changeable road surface material (this could even now turn some locations to feel like other place), road sections between stages, mixed surface etc.

Future visions and hopes:
On a similar note of course it would be nice to see something like, VBS Blue & Outerra (check them from YT, really cool technology), an whole planetary scale rendering technology to be used in rally games, but it would have to work with good physics model to mean anything.
Just dreamed about this last night. Having a rally game that use VBS Blue and real world roads. You could mark road sections you want to close for rally stages (game would then generate marshalls and spectators accordingly) and you could also drive those road sections between SS. You could choose a place where game generate service parks etc. and everything would be based on real world data on VBS blue (height maps, biome info, roads..). Online mode where you could also, spectate, be a marshall, mechanic etc. (Won't go in to detail although made some notes last night)
Even with just singleplayer with AI it would be something fun. 

In the end for now we will see more polish and detail from something like Your Stage and locations made especially for that, but what future holds is looking promising for real world locations in planetary scale.

What Codies are doing is already a huge step in the right direction - like i stated on the original post - i must say i have always wanted something like this but never dreamed it could be achieved.
If all this is well implemented we still need to wait and see ... i believe it is.

What i could ask next is: deformable terrain... i attended this weekend to the Rally of Portugal and there´s no way a car can go the same path over and over again, the terrain gets so damaged that it´s a challenge on it´s own. Even RBR had huge holes on the road that caused problems ... huge problems at times.

DESMOPT said:
What Codies are doing is already a huge step in the right direction - like i stated on the original post - i must say i have always wanted something like this but never dreamed it could be achieved.
If all this is well implemented we still need to wait and see ... i believe it is.

What i could ask next is: deformable terrain... i attended this weekend to the Rally of Portugal and there´s no way a car can go the same path over and over again, the terrain gets so damaged that it´s a challenge on it´s own. Even RBR had huge holes on the road that caused problems ... huge problems at times.

Exactly!
That's why I don't think rally like eg. Safari or even Argentina can be properly done at the moment.

Just look at these dumps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pinoWOCIwFQ

DESMOPT said:

Terrain deformation definetly would great addition, and one to watch for future.
If i remember correctly it is already high on CMs list for future features, so it will come at somepoint!