Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dirt4 Graphics downgrade

Hi all,

I know gameplay is far more important than graphics ... but ... there were released a few videos today showing the final build of Dirt4. Graphics seem a big step backward when compared to Dirt Rally - and no, don´t give me that PS4 graphics handicap, i play on the PS4 PRO and the graphics on DR look stunning.
I do prefer the "your stage" novelty than the pretty graphics, but still if you can have the best of both worlds the better.

What´s your thoughts on this? Do you share the same opinion?

Thanks

No I dont think its a downgrade, some areas it looked a little washed out which annoyed me but a bunch of stuff I've seen now looks fantastic, these screenshots for example https://twitter.com/xtinamcgrath/status/869492414758756352

Videos can be misleading, especially those on Youtube as they tend to change the quality of the video when compressed or something. I don't know exactly what it is but Youtube can be the blame for videos being of poor quality. On PC with graphics maxed out it'll look gorgeous.

I think graphics don't look as good as in DiRT Rally because Your Stage can't generate roads down the side of a mountain so you don't get many of the breathtaking panoramas from like Monte or Greece. Apart from this, I feel like the graphics have improved, especially the lightings. Love the look of Sweden now <3

how people record them and what they record them on does make a massive difference.i get what you saying certain things i seen from PS4 for eg.

personally i would of got footage of high end pc to show case the game first.

I do agree that dirt rally looks SO much better then dirt 4. However, dirt 4 PLAYS so much better. If only the graphics of one could be combine with the other. 

That said, I still say dirt 4 is a must have of you even remotely enjoyed dirt rally. 

Agree, DR graphics look realistic, Dirt 4 looks arcade even a slight cartoonish/animated  IMHO.

RMKIP455 said:
Agree, DR graphics look realistic, Dirt 4 looks arcade even a slight cartoonish/animated  IMHO.
I agree and it also shutters a little more than DR on xbox 

On the contrary, I find D4 to look much more realistic with the upgraded lighting. 
Indeed - I think these people are trolling or something, because I keep finding new visuals in Dirt 4 that impresses me. Maybe they've only seen console footage?

On the contrary, I find D4 to look much more realistic with the upgraded lighting. 
Indeed - I think these people are trolling or something, because I keep finding new visuals in Dirt 4 that impresses me. Maybe they've only seen console footage?
Not sure but I actually found the PS4 footage to look quite good when I tried it, there was some aliasing but solid 60fps.

I'm not trolling I love the dirt series, but to me it doesn't look as good on the xbox. Which might explain why there was very little footage before release. Maybe it looks fine on the other platforms. I 'm not saying the game sucks or anything like that , just stating my opinion.

I have played Dirt rally on PS4 Pro using a 12 bit panel and the game looks stunning ... waiting to see how dirt 4 looks in flesh - videos are compressed and don´t make justice to what you really see in front of you while playing.

I've been playing D4 on xbox one S on a 4k tv and can honestly say that the graphics are a step backward compared to DR, and on the gaming side of thing i find it far less challenging, Very disappointed  as a massive DR fan, its just diluted Please Please make DIRT RALLY 2.

For me D4 looks good: maybe the devs had to make some compromise because of the track generator. A manually crafted stage could be optimized section by section: tweaking the number of objects, the FOV of the cameres and everything to maximize the detail without losing performance.

I think squeezing too much objects and too many textures into the automated stage generator would made baaad performance issues.

IMHO the devs found a good balance between details and FPS. The improved lighting system even made the overall impression better: when you drive through a stage at 150km/h it doesn't matter how high is the texture resoultion of the thrash bin beside the road, or how high is the polygon count of the trees beside the road. The overall impression counts, and the graphics engine under D4 delivers it flawlessly.

I honestly don't see how people are saying it's a graphical downgrade. The improved lighting and ambient occlusion make everything look that much more alive. I always thought dirt rally looked rather lifeless and sterile. The road textures and everything are a big step up as well.

Scyy said:
I honestly don't see how people are saying it's a graphical downgrade. The improved lighting and ambient occlusion make everything look that much more alive. I always thought dirt rally looked rather lifeless and sterile. The road textures and everything are a big step up as well.
The XBox footage does look a bit off with the gamma being too high IMHO. 
Just compare it to your PC quality...miles away. 

versedi said:
Scyy said:
The XBox footage does look a bit off with the gamma being too high IMHO. 
Just compare it to your PC quality...miles away. 
I should have said, yeah I'm running max on pc so I can't speak for the consoles. That being said dirt 4 at its best is better than dirt rally at its best.

redriot77 said:
For me D4 looks good: maybe the devs had to make some compromise because of the track generator. A manually crafted stage could be optimized section by section: tweaking the number of objects, the FOV of the cameres and everything to maximize the detail without losing performance.

I think squeezing too much objects and too many textures into the automated stage generator would made baaad performance issues.

IMHO the devs found a good balance between details and FPS. The improved lighting system even made the overall impression better: when you drive through a stage at 150km/h it doesn't matter how high is the texture resoultion of the thrash bin beside the road, or how high is the polygon count of the trees beside the road. The overall impression counts, and the graphics engine under D4 delivers it flawlessly.
That could be true. Having triple monitors in DR sort of broke replays. Heli cams would show just how close to the road things basically disappeared. Sweden in particular was pretty bad about it, and I could clearly see that about 50 feet off either side of the track everything just ended and went to low res white snow texture. I've not seen this happen in D4, so it could be that each section has been expanded.
Digital Foundry put out a comparison video and I don't really see where the problem lies. XBone runs at a lower resolution, but looks pretty much the same as PS4, which has worse AA, shadows, and reflection quality than Pro.
If these dudes have issues with this, then they clearly must not have AC or any other PC sim.
https://youtu.be/OiqMYDjo34c

*Edit, I will say that I was running DR around high-max minus AO and blending and was getting around 60-80 FPS on triples depending on location.
D4, I'm running about 40-50 with similar settings. I do think it looks better, but obviously performance has taken a big hit, so hopefully some more optimizations come down the line.

DESMOPT said:
I have played Dirt rally on PS4 Pro using a 12 bit panel and the game looks stunning ... waiting to see how dirt 4 looks in flesh - videos are compressed and don´t make justice to what you really see in front of you while playing.
Hmmm, I am playing on PS4 Pro with a Sony XBR-55X855D (4K 10-bit HDR) and it looks terrible. I wonder if you have different settings in your PS4 Pro than I do. I read someone suggested putting the Pro in 1080p mode because if the console is in 4K mode then D4 looks like crap.  :/

[EDIT] Oops, my bad, I just noticed you were actually referring to DiRT Rally. [/EDIT]

Looks like they updated the engine to physical based shading. Thats what it tells me when i look at the surfaces ect. They look way more realistic now and you should wait until you see it in the rain. Awesome. But yeah it can cause some issues on maybe older textures like gras and trees. Even Horizon 3 has the washed out gras at night in the cars lights or at very bright and clear daytime. 

Lol at people thinking consoles are going to even be comparable to PC.

Seriously guys, give it up.... I was one of the biggest shit talkers when they announced most of these features, and I've gotta say, they came through on their promises. 

Anyone complaining about the physics or graphics must be playing a different game. Perhaps a bug putting people in gamer mode regardless of choice? I don't get it, this game is great.

DESMOPT said:
Hmmm, I am playing on PS4 Pro with a Sony XBR-55X855D (4K 10-bit HDR) and it looks terrible. I wonder if you have different settings in your PS4 Pro than I do. I read someone suggested putting the Pro in 1080p mode because if the console is in 4K mode then D4 looks like crap.  :/

[EDIT] Oops, my bad, I just noticed you were actually referring to DiRT Rally. [/EDIT]
The PS4 pro only does 1080 with some improved visuals. Also pretty sure DR and D4 don't have HDR, so... eh?

I have the GTX 1080 and latest i7 and on ULTRA settings the game looks dated and way behind the Dirt Rally graphics.  Specially inside the cars it just looks so plain.  I haven't tried every location but, Australia looks like a cartoon and that practice yard also looks horrible with poor textures and detail.  From reading some of peoples comments I'm thinking that some of us got a B stock of Dirt 4 and not the real thing.  Every simulator game that's been out for a while looks better or same to me.  But inside the car Dirt 4 is just ridiculous for a 2017 title.  Overall, this game is a disappointment for a lot of people including myself.  I wish they would have asked people with proper hardware to beta test the game before putting out an unfinished product.  I really hope they do an update as it could be all a bug so some of us.

Cheers!